Author Topic: PrBoom+  (Read 23633 times)

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
Re: PrBoom+
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 10:16:30 pm »
So, I narrowed it down to SDL not implementing relative mouse movement. This means SDL goes into an emulation of relative mouse movement. But then, the WM_MOUSEMOVE window message is always reporting the same coordinates and so, no movement is reported.
I'm not understanding, why that does happen. If somebody has some suggestions, they would be welcome.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 06:09:32 pm »
Hi

Just one little thing with "prboom-plus-2.6um-alpha1.zip". Today I reinstall it on a machine, I did "yum install  flac  fluidsynth SDL2_image" to install the required DLL's.

I wanted to check again the MIDI stuff, I installed TIMIDITY from Alex Taylor, but it was still not working.

So I checked over the web and got "http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz", unzipped all the files in /etc/timidity and MIDI music started to work. I'm not sure if Alex Taylor Timidity was needed there, I guess FluidSynth is doing the MIDI work.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 06:27:12 pm »
So, I narrowed it down to SDL not implementing relative mouse movement. This means SDL goes into an emulation of relative mouse movement. But then, the WM_MOUSEMOVE window message is always reporting the same coordinates and so, no movement is reported.
I'm not understanding, why that does happen. If somebody has some suggestions, they would be welcome.

That is the only thing missing to make it the perfect Doom running on ArcaOS, but it awesome anyways to play it with the keyboard.

Video resolution is here working at full screen, 1366x768 and 36bit video mode. The best Doom for OS/2.

Thanks for this port.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 06:55:21 pm »
Hi

Just one little thing with "prboom-plus-2.6um-alpha1.zip". Today I reinstall it on a machine, I did "yum install  flac  fluidsynth SDL2_image" to install the required DLL's.

I wanted to check again the MIDI stuff, I installed TIMIDITY from Alex Taylor, but it was still not working.

So I checked over the web and got "http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz", unzipped all the files in /etc/timidity and MIDI music started to work. I'm not sure if Alex Taylor Timidity was needed there, I guess FluidSynth is doing the MIDI work.

Regards
I couldn't get it to work either and didn't try further.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 06:56:37 pm »

That is the only thing missing to make it the perfect Doom running on ArcaOS, but it awesome anyways to play it with the keyboard.

Video resolution is here working at full screen, 1366x768 and 36bit video mode. The best Doom for OS/2.

Thanks for this port.
It's a problem with SDL2-os2. I hunted it down, but I have no solution at the moment.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 10:06:03 am »
This https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b7c7rSdylbdGRgIbMJAGde_g shows a teaser of the launcher, I’m working on.

Alfredo Fernández Díaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2023, 01:30:31 pm »
Hi,

IIRC, in the original DOS DOOM there was no mouse support.
The original DOOM had excellent mouse support. It didn't work under Windows (95?) so many people thought there was none, but it always worked, and still works fine to this day under OS/2.

Anyway, I hope I will be able to have a go at this PrBoom+ thing soon <g>

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2024, 08:19:25 pm »
So, I finally sat down and fixed the issue with wrc playing well with cmake (include path with /@unixroot and -I parameters instead of -i=).
I had to make an custom command to link the resources in to the exe.

But without further ado: https://github.com/josch1710/prboom-plus-os2/releases/tag/v2.6.66a-os2

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2024, 10:44:20 pm »
Hi Jochen,

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get this running at all. I installed with the RPM and it worked well, it also installed a folder with program object and 'Readme' file. The 'Readme' file will not open with a double click (must right click and choose text) because of the '*.command-line' suffix. The program object very briefly hatches, then nothing - no POPUPLOG, no exceptq file no error message. Command line start does not show any message - just returns to prompt. Do I need to create a 'Boom.cfg' file first?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 10:46:50 pm by David McKenna »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: Today at 03:08:17 am »
Hi Jochen.

I installed it with yum, but I don't know where should I put the .wad files.
I located it on \usr\share\prboom-plus but the game list looks empty. (picture attached).

By the way: SDL2_mixer SDL2_net pcre are also needed so you can add those on the release info.

Regards
« Last Edit: Today at 03:12:23 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:13:47 am »
Hello Again.

I don't know what I did, but it works now. I'm using doom shareware wad, and it loads.
It works fine for the moment, but the mouse movement moves too much the camera. I need to keep testing it, it is always nice to play some doom.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:56:53 am »
Hi Jochen.

I installed it with yum, but I don't know where should I put the .wad files.
I located it on \usr\share\prboom-plus but the game list looks empty. (picture attached).

By the way: SDL2_mixer SDL2_net pcre are also needed so you can add those on the release info.

Regards
The search paths are:

• /@unixroot/usr/local/share/games/doom
  • /@unixroot/usr/share/games/doom
  • /@unixroot/usr/local/share/doom
  • /@unixroot/usr/share/doom
The launcher has cache, so perhaps this had to be filled on the first launch?

I will add the dependencies.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:09:02 am by Jochen Schäfer »

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Today at 09:44:10 am »
I have updated the dependencies and rebuilt the package.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Today at 12:31:52 pm »
 Hi Jochen,

Got it working - didn't realize I needed to install the Doom.wad file separately (it was included in your first alpha version). It works great, sound and mouse work well, everything worked that I tried... nice work, thanks!

Regards,

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 03:43:44 pm »
On GOG, you can get the full games for little money.
Just extract the WADs, put them in one of the wad directories, and you're good to go.