Author Topic: patched PmMerge  (Read 20299 times)

Igor

• View Profile
Re: patched PmMerge
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 09:04:58 pm »
With the already mentioned config and with the ORIGINAL pmmerge, I do not get a hang on either testcase.
However, teststart2 eventually reports this:

SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
All available memory is in use.

However, I cannot see memory depleting, therefore I think the root cause if something else. In any case, this seems to be a bug in the REXX interpreter.

What I can also see for testcase2 is that the initial window does not properly draw which might be a PM problem.
If this stuff crashes for you then there might be an SMP issue with PM (as I am only running on one core). I wouldn't be surprised.
Thank you for the error message! This is a very important point that I could not get on the SMP system. Perhaps another process is trying to still use the memory that is no longer left. And there is freezing.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 09:47:31 pm »
Actually, it might indeed be a memory problem: a couple of secondary windows are created (and closed with exit) until I get a bunch of memory error messages, obviously one error message per attempt to open an additional window.

It's possible that PM (including the PM drivers) has some problem allocating memory. Potentially, because they have to allocate from some limited memory pool or region.
I have had success by decreasing the disk cache. This is a lack of kernel memory. In multiprocessor machines, the error message is not issued and the system is frozen.

andreas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 12:12:13 am »
i'm not sure if it's related to pmmerge, but recently i have repeatedly the same strange problem while moving files from one folder to another. 
in my folder i have around 200 text files. i wanted to move some bundles (each around 10 files) to different folders by drag and drop.
This works fins 3 or 4 times. then - without having changed anything - my next round fails. i get that blocking sign.
when i now try "pickup" i can only chose "cancel drag".
next strange thing: i now tried to use FM/2 to do the job. But FM/2 just doesn't start.
Wanted to check it with pm-dll, but that one alsp refuses to start.
Both programs (and drag and drop) work after a reboot.
But i had that strange effect now 3 times in a row..

when this happens not only the files from that folder won't be able to get moved, but any object on the wps (folders, programs and data-files)

Never realized that before i installed the new pmmerge ...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:59:58 pm by andreas »

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 06:54:01 am »
Never realized that before i installed the new pmmerge ...

try the same with old pmmerge

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2021, 11:57:37 pm »
Hi

I tried your patched. It failed the teststart2 test with an out of resources message. The pmerge with the stack overflow patch mention by David ran this test to completion. The pmmerge 6111 also clips the dialogs in eFTEPM (see attached).

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2021, 12:38:43 am »
The clipped text is caused by using 9.WarpSans as the font for dialogs. The ini key for this is PM_SystemFonts -> DefaultFont. The default value is 10.System Proportional. If you add the key and change it to another font, dialog texts don't fit in their controls. As I wrote before, Holger's patch fixes this for fonts like 9.WarpSans. As Alex wrote, it dosn't work well with DBCS fonts.

So no wonder that you see the same text clipping with the OS/4 version as with the IBM version.

Interesting that Holger's other patch makes it pass Igor's teststart2.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2021, 08:00:09 am »
I tried your patched. It failed the teststart2 test with an out of resources message. The pmerge with the stack overflow patch mention by David ran this test to completion. The pmmerge 6111 also clips the dialogs in eFTEPM (see attached).

could you try the same on not patched IBM pmmerge ?

andreas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2021, 04:40:17 pm »

tried. have the same problem with the old pmmerge. so may problem is not related to the new version. sorry for my wrong assumption.

OS4User

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2021, 09:01:45 pm »

tried. have the same problem with the old pmmerge. so may problem is not related to the new version. sorry for my wrong assumption.

It is ok :) .  Tnx for testing.

andreas

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 09:16:30 pm »

It is ok :) .  Tnx for testing.

not only testing, using your version now. thanks for programming!