Author Topic: YUM default platform setting  (Read 259 times)

Martin Vieregg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • View Profile
YUM default platform setting
« on: October 19, 2021, 02:35:36 pm »
After getting problems with two ArcaOS installations, I started a new installation of ArcaOS 5.0.6. Meanwhile, installation really runs fine on my two computers. But I wonder why on the one computer, the default Arca Noae Platform setting (Manage - Platform) is "pentium4", on the other "i686". Only on the "i686" computer, OpenOffice 4.1.8 works. On the "pentium4" computer, it ends with the 2nd start screen (User Name). I did not install any other software on both systems. The main difference (besides another manufacturer of the AMD4 motherboard) is that the one which works ("i686") has got a Ryzen 2200G 4 core APU without Hyperthreading (= 4 threads), and the one where I have got the problems ("pentium4") is a Ryzen 3400G 4 core with Hyperthreading (= 8 threads), and more clock speed.

Is it possible that ArcaOS does not like Hyperthreading (sorry, I cannot turn it off on the BIOS) and switches back to the more secure "pentium4"?
Can I force i686 while installing ArcaOS ? I did not find a setting in the installation routines.

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 52
    • View Profile
Re: YUM default platform setting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 03:25:49 pm »
On my Ryzen third gen motherboard (Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G processor) the only way I could get reliable working is by turning hyperthreading OFF.  I even found it caused problems on an older machine with an AMD A8-9600 processor .

I can't comment about any interaction with YUM since I tend to keep clear of it, also I use OpenOffice version 4120 from wayback - including all the required DLLs being in the 'AOO, program directory'.

Neil Waldhauer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 62
    • View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:33:08 pm »
You have to upgrade carefully this time with yum. I'm waiting for instructions from Arca Noae or BitWise how to do it.

One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:34:39 pm by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 226
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 04:26:24 pm »
Hi Martin, you will have to turn off the hyperthreading on the command line of ACPI, not the simplest thing to do as yo have to figure out which cores are real and which are fake and use a bitmask to only use the real ones. First try adding /CPUMASK=1 to the PSD line in config.sys to test with only one CPU. If OO now works on the problem system, that will tell you it is a hyperthreading problem.
The PSD documentation is under x:\sys\docs\ACPI as psd_en.pdf. See the ACPI command line section. You might have to open an issue to get help.
As for the i686 vs Pentium 4 thing, Bitwise seems to be guiding us to Pentium 4 systems to support the new browser. As Neil said, more to come.

Martin Vieregg

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 05:36:14 pm »
One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.

But on the computer working fine which shows still "i686", I did make also the same (all) upgrade steps.
There's perhaps one week time difference. Can it happen that in this week, such minor changes were made on the server?

I can also try to copy the directories
Code: [Select]
usr/* var/* etc/* sys/*from the fine working installtion to the problem installation.
I hope that all information about the system drive is stored in environment variables, because the drive letters are different.

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 07:40:36 pm »
I found the easiest way to turn off hyperthreading was to go into the UEFI bios and do it there. once done it stays done but can be very hard to find,

Martin Vieregg

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 09:09:32 pm »
I only found a switch to turn off SMT. But if I understand right, this is not the same. Symmetric Multi Threading means several cores are used for one thread each, and Hyperthreading means two threads are running on the same core. Is that right? Of course I still want to use all my cores.

Martin Vieregg

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 09:45:36 pm »
I have tried now the SMT setting in the BIOS (advanced - CPU). ArcaOS has got still the four pulse graphs. So it seems that SMT and Hyperthreading is the same indeed.

Martin Vieregg

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:52:48 pm »
After starting the Computer without SMT (Hyperthreading), "i686" appears as platform. So this seems to be the reason of choice. But anyway, updating all YUM stuff (while updating, it turns to "pentium4" again) does not help. So it seems that meanwhile, a package has changed and omits running OpenOffice. YUM seems to be a big construction zone in ArcaOS.
Next, I will try to copy the whole YUM directories from the corret installtion to the problem installation and will report here next week.