OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

hard hangs

(1/4) > >>

David Graser:
I noticed and have had these problems for some time.  It must be the programs.

PMview with multiple instances and working with lots of graphics sometimes hangs the system requiring a hard shutdown.

This also occurs with FM/2.  Sometimes when I open an archive file and start to drag a file to add to the archive, the system locks up requiring another hard boot.

roberto:
There is a new version of FM2, 2.50, which is very recent.
saludos

Dariusz Piatkowski:
David,

The biggest increase in stability I encountered was when I made the move from HPFS386 to JFS. Not that inherently there is anything wrong with HPFS386, but I was running over 12 separate partitions (due to the 64G limit) and that just seemed to make things very lock-up prone.

I am now running 7 partitions, of which 2 are small maintenance ones and have very few, if any, lock-ups that appear to co-incide with any sort of disk access.

What configuration are you running with?

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: David Graser on June 16, 2021, 06:18:00 pm ---PMview with multiple instances and working with lots of graphics sometimes hangs the system requiring a hard shutdown.

--- End quote ---
That sounds like a shared memory problem (with a small chance for failing hardware). How and do you check shared memory and which apps do you have loaded "high"?

--- Quote from: David Graser on June 16, 2021, 06:18:00 pm ---This also occurs with FM/2.  Sometimes when I open an archive file and start to drag a file to add to the archive, the system locks up requiring another hard boot.

--- End quote ---
That's not a memory eater. But it accesses disks that may have failures.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: David Graser on June 16, 2021, 06:18:00 pm ---I noticed and have had these problems for some time.  It must be the programs.

PMview with multiple instances and working with lots of graphics sometimes hangs the system requiring a hard shutdown.

This also occurs with FM/2.  Sometimes when I open an archive file and start to drag a file to add to the archive, the system locks up requiring another hard boot.

--- End quote ---

What software are you running ?

Do you load big programs such as Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird at the same time ?

When the system locks up can you press CTRL ALT DEL ?
Or CTRL ALT F10 twice or is it completely dead ?

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version