OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

hard hangs

<< < (2/4) > >>

David Graser:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on June 16, 2021, 10:59:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: David Graser on June 16, 2021, 06:18:00 pm ---I noticed and have had these problems for some time.  It must be the programs.

PMview with multiple instances and working with lots of graphics sometimes hangs the system requiring a hard shutdown.

This also occurs with FM/2.  Sometimes when I open an archive file and start to drag a file to add to the archive, the system locks up requiring another hard boot.

--- End quote ---

What software are you running ?

Do you load big programs such as Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird at the same time ?

When the system locks up can you press CTRL ALT DEL ?
Or CTRL ALT F10 twice or is it completely dead ?

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

--- End quote ---
For sure these 3 programs are running: multiple instances of PMView, Iconview, FM2, and sometime Firefox. I usually have a USB drive plugged in.  At times I can go to Top and shut down what i think are the problem programs and go back to the WPS.  The mouse will not move requiring a hard boot.  At other times, it I am unable to go to TOP and must do a hard boot next.  With the USB drive in, I am fairly sure, a hard boot is required.  The USB drive may be a large part of it.  I cannot tell you how may graphics files I have lost because of this.

It seems like the more graphics are in the root directory on the FAT32 drive, the greater the risk for a hang.

Dave Yeo:
I'd suggest not directly using the USB drive, but rather working on your hard drive and afterwards copying them to the USB drive, or if they're on the USB drive to begin with, copy to HD, do work,and copy back.
The FAT32 driver isn't the best and also it is not a good idea putting them in the root directory, IIRC, there are limitations that aren't there if using a subdirectory.
Run mem /v at a prompt to get an idea of your memory situation.

David Graser:
Yes, I believe there is a limit to the number of files in the root directory before the fat32 drive becomes unstable.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: David Graser on June 17, 2021, 12:43:18 am ---
--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on June 16, 2021, 10:59:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: David Graser on June 16, 2021, 06:18:00 pm ---I noticed and have had these problems for some time.  It must be the programs.

PMview with multiple instances and working with lots of graphics sometimes hangs the system requiring a hard shutdown.

This also occurs with FM/2.  Sometimes when I open an archive file and start to drag a file to add to the archive, the system locks up requiring another hard boot.

--- End quote ---

What software are you running ?

Do you load big programs such as Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird at the same time ?

When the system locks up can you press CTRL ALT DEL ?
Or CTRL ALT F10 twice or is it completely dead ?

Best regards,

Roderick Klein

--- End quote ---
For sure these 3 programs are running: multiple instances of PMView, Iconview, FM2, and sometime Firefox. I usually have a USB drive plugged in.  At times I can go to Top and shut down what i think are the problem programs and go back to the WPS.  The mouse will not move requiring a hard boot.  At other times, it I am unable to go to TOP and must do a hard boot next.  With the USB drive in, I am fairly sure, a hard boot is required.  The USB drive may be a large part of it.  I cannot tell you how may graphics files I have lost because of this.

It seems like the more graphics are in the root directory on the FAT32 drive, the greater the risk for a hang.

--- End quote ---

What version of the FAT 32 driver are you running ? The one that came with ArcaOS ? If so what version of ArcaOS are you running ?
There have been numerous fixes to the fat 32 driver.

Roderick

David Graser:
the arcaOS version.

What is weird is that when it would crash, and check disk was run under windows, the same first few icons were always recovered.  Any new or recent pics were lost.  This was true for every crash.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version