Author Topic: OS/2 installation on IBM T43 (intel based)  (Read 5786 times)

OS/2 installation on IBM T43 (intel based)
« on: July 03, 2021, 06:46:57 pm »
I have searched through various forums and wiki posts and looks like OS/2 is only properly installs on ATI based T43. Didn't want create a new topic because I probably already know the answer, but have not found any topics to resurrect from the dead. So my question is simple, are there any workarounds or ways to install OS/2 on Intel T43 or am I out of luck and the only solution is to use ArcaOS. Thanks

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: OS/2 installation on IBM T43 (intel based)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 07:19:17 pm »
Hi G, welcome to the forum.

I think that you can install OS/2 Warp 4.52 from the boot CD on a T43 without any major issue. After that you may asset how good or bad does it works. What is missing, and at that point you may have to install the proper  fixpack and drivers to get the best experience on your Thinkpad T43.

- I tried to list the latest fixpacks and drivers for OS/2 Warp 4.52 here.
- Maybe for the ATI card on the T43 you will need the Scitech Snap Drivers (freeeware)
- The Lenovo site still have the Audio driver for T43, but maybe yoou also want to try some later versions or Uniaud.

If you have the T43, start the install procedure and post here your progress.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 07:57:51 pm »
IIRC, the T43 used a SATA HD, so you might need to update the install floppies to use Dani's driver. Other then that it should install, though the graphics may not be ideal. Not sure about the network, you might luck out after install and be able to get the wireless working. I'd guess the wired Ethernet will work.
As Martin said, give it a try and post results.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 10:18:08 pm »
Thank you!

I do have T43 already in my hands, but it is equipped with a measly Mobile Intel 915GM Express graphics. All the guides I have found were using T43 with ATI graphics as an example and not Intel. So while this all look daunting to me, if it is possible, I will try and will definitely update you all with my progress.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 10:33:02 pm »
I have searched through various forums and wiki posts and looks like OS/2 is only properly installs on ATI based T43. Didn't want create a new topic because I probably already know the answer, but have not found any topics to resurrect from the dead. So my question is simple, are there any workarounds or ways to install OS/2 on Intel T43 or am I out of luck and the only solution is to use ArcaOS. Thanks

There are two major versions of the T43, that I know about. One is model 2xxx (Lewis R, at Arca Noae, has a 2xxx model, that he uses a lot - I think it has Warp 4.52 on it along with various versions of ArcaOS). The other (like mine) is an 187x (not near it, so I can't check, but it is Intel). There is nothing special about either model. The ATI part is probably an additional video adapter. The easy solution is to use ArcaOS, but I have used eComStation with it. No problem installing either one. I got the  T43 after eCS was available, so I never tried an older OS/2, but there really should be no problem (as long as you update the necessary parts like using the Dani driver, and SNAP for video - Panorama works well too). If it does have the "special" video adapter, you may need to disable that. UniAud works for sound.

My T43 (187x) has an IDE disk (I wish it was SATA, but it is not - I don't know about the 2xxx model). OS/2 should install with only minor problems. The biggest advantage to using eCS, or ArcaOS, is that you don't need to load updated diskettes to get it started (not a problem, if it has a diskette drive, but there are was around that too. You would need to make a bootable CD, with the diskette contents on it - not an obvious thing to do).

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 12:34:22 am »
Thank you!

I do have T43 already in my hands, but it is equipped with a measly Mobile Intel 915GM Express graphics. All the guides I have found were using T43 with ATI graphics as an example and not Intel. So while this all look daunting to me, if it is possible, I will try and will definitely update you all with my progress.

SNAP supports the Intel 915GM chipset. You never said what version of OS/2 you are installing. Odds are you will end up with only VGA graphics at first, but that's fine as after the install you can install SNAP. Doug might be able to guide you to getting the wireless working as well, it won't work out of the box.
SNAP can be found at https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/video/snap-os2-3.1.8.zip The ATI Thinkpads had a specially licensed build but SNAP is now freeware, serial number in the package.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 06:29:57 am »
As pointed out earlier in the thread, you have a 1xxx model T43 (it's confusing having two such different laptops both called a T43)

OS/2 Warp 4 will install just fine on either one. Although SNAP says it supports the chipset, it does not work well. Panorama will work well on your laptop. If you know how to install OS/2 and it's drivers, you'll be fine.

Blonde Guy sold dozens of T43 2xxx, and one T43 1xxx, all running eComStation. I haven't had one for years.

If you are trying to learn OS/2, and you want to do it the hardest possible way, avoid ArcaOS and eCS and continue to try with the T43. There is a lot to be said for doing things the hard way. You will learn a lot. Good luck to you, whichever you choose.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com