OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

OS/2 installation on IBM T43 (intel based)

<< < (2/2)

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: G on July 03, 2021, 10:18:08 pm ---Thank you!

I do have T43 already in my hands, but it is equipped with a measly Mobile Intel 915GM Express graphics. All the guides I have found were using T43 with ATI graphics as an example and not Intel. So while this all look daunting to me, if it is possible, I will try and will definitely update you all with my progress.

--- End quote ---

SNAP supports the Intel 915GM chipset. You never said what version of OS/2 you are installing. Odds are you will end up with only VGA graphics at first, but that's fine as after the install you can install SNAP. Doug might be able to guide you to getting the wireless working as well, it won't work out of the box.
SNAP can be found at https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/video/snap-os2-3.1.8.zip The ATI Thinkpads had a specially licensed build but SNAP is now freeware, serial number in the package.

Neil Waldhauer:
As pointed out earlier in the thread, you have a 1xxx model T43 (it's confusing having two such different laptops both called a T43)

OS/2 Warp 4 will install just fine on either one. Although SNAP says it supports the chipset, it does not work well. Panorama will work well on your laptop. If you know how to install OS/2 and it's drivers, you'll be fine.

Blonde Guy sold dozens of T43 2xxx, and one T43 1xxx, all running eComStation. I haven't had one for years.

If you are trying to learn OS/2, and you want to do it the hardest possible way, avoid ArcaOS and eCS and continue to try with the T43. There is a lot to be said for doing things the hard way. You will learn a lot. Good luck to you, whichever you choose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version