Author Topic: DOS Window Woes  (Read 7901 times)

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
DOS Window Woes
« on: July 20, 2021, 02:51:28 am »
Stating up front, I have already done the /int10grfxsafe thing, MODE C80, etc I even installed a VIOP10.WPI that someone referenced somewhere else.

The issue is with DOS windows. I had a issue previously on a different computer and the above did fix that. But this is on a Lenovo Desktop (Blondeguy machine).

This issue is different from the issue i had on the other computer.

Now the DOS window opens, it shows text changing in the first 2 columns of the window and after 20-30 seconds the OS locks up.

Attached is an image of what the top left of the window looks like, characters seem to scroll across the 2 character area, but it doesn't look like it is a continuous stream.

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile. The computer runs my BBS and the only thing I can't do is run BBS doors since most are all DOS. Just wish I could figure it out and maybe play some LORD or USURPER again :P

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: DOS Window Woes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:25:06 am »
What about full screen DOS sessions? Could also try opening a full screen DOS session and do CTRL-HOME and see if that is a workaround.

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 03:33:42 pm »
I can open a full screen DOS window and it shows the command prompt, but any keystroke exits the session and goes back to WPS.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:04:49 pm »
Hi

I don't have a solution, I tried to document this at the OS2World Wiki, but I don't have a final solution.

I was wondering what component is the one to blame for this, if it is "VSVGA.SYS" or any other driver that is getting old.

I have hopes on the UEFI drivers that needed to be updated for the VDOS sessions (VDM) to work on newer systems.

Regards
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:13:53 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 05:31:46 pm »
Thanks for documenting that Martin, having all the possible solutions in one place is very handy.

I have not tried the OS=HIGH,NOUMB option, I will try that this evening and see how things go.

Kev

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 09:28:02 pm »
Is it possible to update the video card? Most aprox 10 year old ATI cards I've used at least handle full screen DOS sessions, often also being capable of using ALT-HOME to become windowed.

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 12:44:38 am »
I tried the DOS = HIGH,NOUMB. Opening a DOS Windows session was still the same, but it did allow me to open a full screen DOS session and I could ALT-HOME to windows, but something was really pegging the CPU and the system was very slow. I will try to toy around with it more this weekend.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 04:20:57 pm »
For people trying to help Kevin get DOS Window to work, here is the URL of the computer

http://www.blondeguy.com/computer/quebopeep.html

Normally DOS Full Screen would work on this computer. But I am not a DOS user, so I have little to contribute beyond what Arca Noae gives me.

The DOS compatibility will improve in ArcaOS 5.1. The improvement will not easily install on ArcaOS 5.0. If you are a DOS user, you have something to look forward to.

Of the suggestions seen so far, I like installing an old (poster says 10 years old, but I think he meant 20) ATI card. This computer is the last one to have PCI bus, so an old video card is a possibility.

If this can be solved by better DOS settings, then I'd like to see that.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:00:18 pm »
I did mean closer to 10 years old. Unluckily I can't remember the exact models but I've had a couple of ATI cards that with Panorama, somewhat worked with DOS.
Best might be to wait for AOS 5.1

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 11:30:46 am »
Stating up front, I have already done the /int10grfxsafe thing, MODE C80, etc I even installed a VIOP10.WPI that someone referenced somewhere else.

The issue is with DOS windows. I had a issue previously on a different computer and the above did fix that. But this is on a Lenovo Desktop (Blondeguy machine).

This issue is different from the issue i had on the other computer.

Now the DOS window opens, it shows text changing in the first 2 columns of the window and after 20-30 seconds the OS locks up.

Attached is an image of what the top left of the window looks like, characters seem to scroll across the 2 character area, but it doesn't look like it is a continuous stream.

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile. The computer runs my BBS and the only thing I can't do is run BBS doors since most are all DOS. Just wish I could figure it out and maybe play some LORD or USURPER again :P

Create a testlog of this system and upload it.

What is the make and model of your system. Having more information will be helpfull.
It seems DOS windows is not the issue, but rather the the VDM support is broken.
Starting WIN/OS2 full screen will also hang the system.

Changing the video driver will most likely not help.
If you have the line ACPI.PSD in your conrfig.sys try starting with ACPI.PSD /MAXCPU=1 and try again.

But this rather sounds like VDM code running in into trouble either by the CSM layer in your BIOS or the video card BIOS code screwing up.
Because that is what VSVGA.SYS depends on.

Roderick Klein

Kevin Nunn

• View Profile
    • Razor's Domain BBS
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 01:22:39 am »

Create a testlog of this system and upload it.

What is the make and model of your system. Having more information will be helpfull.
It seems DOS windows is not the issue, but rather the the VDM support is broken.
Starting WIN/OS2 full screen will also hang the system.

Changing the video driver will most likely not help.
If you have the line ACPI.PSD in your conrfig.sys try starting with ACPI.PSD /MAXCPU=1 and try again.

But this rather sounds like VDM code running in into trouble either by the CSM layer in your BIOS or the video card BIOS code screwing up.
Because that is what VSVGA.SYS depends on.

Roderick Klein

Thanks for the reply and assistance. Attached is the testlog for the system.

I tried the /MAXCPU=1 and it did not change anything except for the number of processors that I could tell.

The system has "integrated graphics" and does state what type of chipset it is. Panorama tab does not report any VESA info, card name nor card vendor.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »
One thing to take into account is that currently for ArcaOS requires a so called CSM is. Effectively the UEFI firmware provides a BIOS compability layer.
The issue is that OS/2 leans on BIOS stuff hardly basically almost no other OS uses. Windows 7 was the last OS to be shipped on PC using a BIOS.
UEFI was introduced in 2013.

Putting it differently the CSM might be required to meet certain specifications, but vendors have in practicallity very little need to test the CSM that extensively.
Windows 7 was the last OS requiring a CSM. The issue you are running into with the DOS session not working is most likely an issue in the system CSM and can most likely not be resolved unless you open a ticket at Arca Noae. Your issue is most likely beyond this forum to help you as it will require some indepth analyses WHY this is happening. The testlog reveals nothing strange.

The phase out of the CSM in the UEFI system code is also the reason I understand Arca Noar is working on UEFI support for ArcaOS.

Roderick