Author Topic: Creating some apps RPM packages  (Read 31990 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Creating some apps RPM packages
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2021, 04:19:28 pm »
Hi
What Martin was talking about was RPM-izing legacy type OS/2 apps.   That has lots of benefits, and some downsides. 

I insist it is not a "all or nothing" effort, or that it is going to replace the common way to distribute software in zip/wpi files. It is just trying to "RPM-izing" what can actually work, there will be OS/2 apps that do not work under the RPM path structure and some that don't. It is going to be impossible for me alone to convert all OS/2 apps to have a RPM/YUM install alternative, so help will be always welcome. I also respect the choice of people that like to have the zip and wpi files and want to have the control on where files are stored, but on the present time, it seems that a lot of people does not care where the installer stores the .dll and files, just care the apps works and provide him some service.

But I still haven't full started with the RPM installers. On my last attempts I got stuck with the WPS integration to create icons and set the properties of WPS objects (Path, working directory, etc). I usually get the answer that it works, but I'm doing it wrong, but nobody tells me how to do it right.

The other things that drives me crazy on the specs files is to know the variable names for the paths (directories) and the fights with the slashes and backslashes. I had even made this quick list to try to remember the names of variables.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2021, 04:26:20 pm »
RPM uses sqlite3 for its database.

Digi

• http://os2.snc.ru/
    • View Profile
    • OS/2 ports and applications
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2021, 11:49:37 pm »
But I still haven't full started with the RPM installers. On my last attempts I got stuck with the WPS integration to create icons and set the properties of WPS objects (Path, working directory, etc). I usually get the answer that it works, but I'm doing it wrong, but nobody tells me how to do it right.

I do this using REXX scripts. This is called from the %post section of the .spec file for installation and from the %postun section for uninstallation. My restartwps.exe utility is also used to restart the desktop correctly.

My .spec:
ftp://os2.snc.ru/pub/freerdp/RPM/ofreerdp.spec

REXX scripts and restartwps.exe:
ftp://os2.snc.ru/pub/freerdp/RPM/spec-tools/

(see "restartwps.exe -?" for help)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2021, 03:23:29 pm »
Hi

On a different, but related issue. There are two SDL runtime packages on netlabs RPM server, SDL and sdl. I wanted to see if it is possible to remove the "sdl" (lowercase) but I got this reply on the trac ticket that it would be good to search for the specs that are using "sdl" (lowercase), update them (or as the author to update it) and then we can remove "sdl" from the Netlabs RPM.

Is there a fast way to search on the rpm server which packages depends on the "sdl" (lowercase) ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2021, 04:31:10 pm »

I do this using REXX scripts. This is called from the %post section of the .spec file for installation and from the %postun section for uninstallation. My restartwps.exe utility is also used to restart the desktop correctly.

My .spec:
ftp://os2.snc.ru/pub/freerdp/RPM/ofreerdp.spec

REXX scripts and restartwps.exe:
ftp://os2.snc.ru/pub/freerdp/RPM/spec-tools/

(see "restartwps.exe -?" for help)

How to create a WPS object from an RPM spec is explained here (as source code comments):
http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/changeset/91
http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/browser/spec/trunk/SPECS/os2-rpm/macros.wps

and a practical example:
http://trac.netlabs.org/rpm/browser/spec/trunk/SPECS/qtcreator/qtcreator.spec
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:45:48 pm by Lars »

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2021, 08:48:27 am »

How do you all generate packages for i686 and Pentium4?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2021, 02:02:26 am »
To generate code for i686, CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS --march=i686, likewise --march=pentium4 for Pentium 4.
Ultimately for your own use, --march=native.

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2021, 06:38:31 pm »
Dave, thanks for the reply. I was not specific enough.
What I meant, was how to integrate that into RPM specs. I had used --target, but it seemed to do next to nothing.