OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support

<< < (62/77) > >>

Mark Szkolnicki:
Thanks Wim, for your contribution to this.

--- Quote from: Wim Brul on June 16, 2022, 05:26:06 pm ---Hi Mark,

--- Quote ---The only problem I foresee with that, Wim, is that you may be literally inundated with data from all sides, and it may overwhelm in that sense. You have already done a lot for this project, and being overwhelmed is the last thing we want, because, strangely you also have a life.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Mark, for your compassion. Right now I am already grinding to a standstill. This is all too much for me to handle. In light of my health I have to let go.

Will send you an email soon.

Best regards, Wim.

--- End quote ---

You've been nothing other than gracious, in both your time, and interest in this small little project, as well as the advances you have contributed to in all areas, including this, based on your technical knowledge.

The least we can all do is say - Thank-you!

We will muddle on, as always, Sir, like the rest of humanity,

Rest, Warrior and Best, as always - will email soon as well!

M

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I'm going to Warpstock this year and I will try to show a demo about running some games with an USB Gamepad.

I want to show:
- A native old OS/2 game running with joystick (thinking it is a gameport joystick)
- A DOS VDM game running with joystick
- A DOS game under DOSBox

But I was wondering if some of SDL ported game had somekind of joystick support that also works with Wim's driver.

Is there any of the newer SDL ported games that you have tested that have USB gamepad support that works?

Regards

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi Martin!

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on October 25, 2022, 11:10:30 pm ---Hi

I'm going to Warpstock this year and I will try to show a demo about running some games with an USB Gamepad.

I want to show:
- A native old OS/2 game running with joystick (thinking it is a gameport joystick)
- A DOS VDM game running with joystick
- A DOS game under DOSBox

But I was wondering if some of SDL ported game had somekind of joystick support that also works with Wim's driver.

Is there any of the newer SDL ported games that you have tested that have USB gamepad support that works?

Regards

--- End quote ---

I'm not aware of any, after conversations with Wim in the Spring - but I thought Joachim had said DosBox itself IS an SDL port.

The trouble is that I can't think of an SDL game to test that does use Joystick support (most of the SDL games I have are rather simple in nature.

Let me know privately if there is any games you want to use specifically - in my last version of the Game Controller guide I did outline games that I did test under both.

One of my plans for Fall / Winter has been to see if we can resurrect this particular project - but I think as you and I were the only testers using essentially custom builds, I would like to chat and see where you think things should go next.

I was thinking this fall of spending some time learning REXX programming - but Rome is not built in a day.

I haven't spoke to Wim in about two months, via e-mail - perhaps I should send out a fall greeting and update.

Best!

M

Dave Yeo:
Rocks'n'Diamonds is one that I used to play with a Joypad. Haven't tested it with the updated SDL2, at that, has the updated SDL2 that supports Joysticks been released?

Mark Szkolnicki:
Heh Again Dave

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on October 26, 2022, 03:52:09 am ---Rocks'n'Diamonds is one that I used to play with a Joypad. Haven't tested it with the updated SDL2, at that, has the updated SDL2 that supports Joysticks been released?

--- End quote ---

I was going to ask you the same question - as mentioned, I want to get back to this, hopefully within a month. I think updated libraries have been released, but don't know about the entire SDL/2

There really is two paths forward on this project at the moment:

1) Continue to play around with Wim's driver support and REXX based files addressing his driver, to see if we can get more input on game controllers from other individuals

2) Enable the updated SDL/2 support, if available, and get drivers working from that angle.

When I did that last game controller guide, I had wanted to see if anyone else could use either of the xevents.cmd files Wim had customized for my two joysticks for their equipment, but didn't hear anything back. Examining the REXX command files, there are large blocks that are essentially the same for Martins and my files - I have been identifying the parts that are different, and trying to see if they can be modified for use with other equipment - put that aside in May, with all the summer work - now that fall is buttoned up and Christmas Lights up will have more time to get back to pondering and Best!

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version