Author Topic: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support  (Read 147720 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2022, 01:28:42 am »
Hi Wim!

Yes Mark, in an ideal world, it will work as long as the native ArcaOS game uses the GAME$ device for its joystick access. Right now it is still very experimental.

Did some preliminary experiments using a DOS program - an attack helicopter flight program called Comanche 2. I was able to get the correct DOS settings to get it to work as a virtual DOS program without DOSBOX.

Running xevents.cmd at the same time as opening a fullscreen version of the program, I attempted to start a training mission. Opening the control options I switched the controls to the Thrustmaster System and attempted to calibrate the joystick, using the instructions presented. In all cases I could not produce any feedback from the joystick within the program. I've attached the xevents.log for your review.

I pressed first buttons 1-4, then the hat and then moved the joystick to all four compass points. In all cases no changes were noted within the DOS program. I then exited to review the log generated.

The log indicated that the joystick was identified by xevents.cmd and was generating output hex lines while I had Comanche 2 open, but it looks like nothing was being passed at all to the virtual DOS session. I will try a number of other programs, if I can get them running through the virtual DOS framework in ARCAOS, as opposed to DOSBOX, but I suspect I will achieve the same result. I would suggest that the DD driver is not passing the information we are seeing in xevents on to the operating system.

I would like to test the gamedd.sys natively in OS/2 but have run into some snags.

I do have a copy of Brad Wardells OS/2 game Trials of Battle (it only was released as v1.0), and have installed it, as it is supposed to have the ability to pass Joystick information to the program, but I suspect as it was optimized for DIVE and DART at the time of release, that it is having some problems with my newer systems, as the program hard locks after a minute or two when attempting to enter a battle. There may be a solution or fix that I've seen previously, adding a line to CONFIG.SYS, but it escapes me at the moment. Testing in the native operating system would go a long way to seeing where the problem may seem to lie.

Anyway, off for my evening exercise ride - let me know if there is anything else I can provide and Best!

Mark

Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2022, 04:34:16 pm »
Hi Mark.
Just one follow-up question - was the GAME$ device what was used previously in the original incarnation of GAMEDD.SYS? I ask because obviously if I can find a native OS/2 program that used the original GAMEDD.SYS to access a Joystick, I assume it should conform to your native driver as well.
Yes. The original one as in joystick.zip from IBM.

The log indicated that the joystick was identified by xevents.cmd and was generating output hex lines while I had Comanche 2 open, but it looks like nothing was being passed at all to the virtual DOS session. I will try a number of other programs, if I can get them running through the virtual DOS framework in ARCAOS, as opposed to DOSBOX, but I suspect I will achieve the same result. I would suggest that the DD driver is not passing the information we are seeing in xevents on to the operating system.
Perhaps it is necessary to swap the joystick axis in xevents.cmd. Make lines 94 thru 97 be as follows:

Ax = substr(oiBuffer,8+6,1)||x2c(00)
Ay = substr(oiBuffer,8+7,1)||x2c(00)
Bx = substr(oiBuffer,8+4,1)||x2c(00)
By = substr(oiBuffer,8+5,1)||x2c(00)

Wim

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2022, 01:11:33 am »
Hi Wim!

Changed the axis statements in xevents.cmd, as requested, and had the same result - the xevents log had information in it, but nothing was passed on to the virtual DOS session, as far as I can determine - I am curious - do the results in xevents affect the device drivers themselves, or just monitor what is happening?

I suspect its the device drivers are not addressing the programs - I think usbecs is finding the joystick but it  is not passing on the info to first the native operating system, then the virtual operating system, through first the native and then the virtual device drivers.

Is there someway to test that, and Best!

M

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2022, 05:40:30 pm »
Hi Mark,
- I am curious - do the results in xevents affect the device drivers themselves, or just monitor what is happening?
Strictly speaking, the results reported and logged by xevents.cmd reflect what it is about to write to the gamepad.sys driver. No error means success!

I suspect its the device drivers are not addressing the programs - I think usbecs is finding the joystick but it  is not passing on the info to first the native operating system, then the virtual operating system, through first the native and then the virtual device drivers. Is there someway to test that, and Best!
I don't think so. I have used JOYS_DOS.EXE from GAMEDD2.ZIP which is a DOS executable to test gamepad/joystick functionality and that works.
Perhaps the best way for you to proceed is getting DOSBOX_WOLF3D.ZIP and install that. I am able to run that DOS game over here.
For that particular game I used GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS = OFF and GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE = OFF settings.

Wim

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2022, 06:13:19 pm »
Hi Wim!

I don't think so. I have used JOYS_DOS.EXE from GAMEDD2.ZIP which is a DOS executable to test gamepad/joystick functionality and that works.
Perhaps the best way for you to proceed is getting DOSBOX_WOLF3D.ZIP and install that. I am able to run that DOS game over here.
For that particular game I used GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS = OFF and GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE = OFF settings.

Wim

I think my next step will be to try to duplicate your results.

I downloaeded a copy of DOSBOX_WOLF3D.ZIP and am looked for a copy of GAMEDD2.ZIP to try the same test, but I suspect with the Hobbes reorg Martin is doing it may be unavailable at the moment, as Hobbes doesn't come up with anything  - I will also check my archives as well as, being a packrat, I may have a copy of it somewhere here.

Give me a couple of days and I will see what further data I can come up with.

M

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2022, 06:59:06 pm »
... and am looked for a copy of GAMEDD2.ZIP to try the same test
Hi

The GAMEDD are here in hobbes.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2022, 02:44:14 am »
Hi All!

Have not been idle for the last few days, but want to check my testing results.

Bottom line - I have got DOS based games to recognize the joystick, but had to adjust a number of DOS settings to get some results, with Wim's drivers - still evaluating what exactly is going on. But as with everything experimental, order and method prevails (ala Agatha Christie's Hercules Poirot) - want to run a number of tests in the next few days first.

2Wim - one new question - looking at the documentation in the gamedd2 package that I downloaded from Hobbes - is your version of gamedd.sys based on that package, and do the possible switches that are itemized in the .TXT file in that package apply to your gamedd.sys driver?

May or not be important to my testing, but thought I'd check and Best!

Mark

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2022, 10:56:46 am »
Hi Mark,
2Wim - one new question - looking at the documentation in the gamedd2 package that I downloaded from Hobbes - is your version of gamedd.sys based on that package, and do the possible switches that are itemized in the .TXT file in that package apply to your gamedd.sys driver?
No, not at all. My version of gamedd.sys originates from joystick source code present in IBM Device Driver Kit (DDK) for OS/2.
Apart from modifications to interface with my new gamepad.sys device driver I had to add missing bios joystick functionality.

Wim

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2022, 05:55:56 pm »
How does this all relate to :
https://github.com/OS2World/DRV-USBLib/tree/master/drivers/src/usbjoy

Is the gamepad a USB device ? If yes, should we not modify those USB joystick drivers to interface with GAMEDD.SYS ? That's at least how it was solved for the USB mouse:
we have USBMOUSE.SYS and that interfaces with AMOUSE.SYS / MOUSE.SYS.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 06:15:42 pm by Lars »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2022, 11:52:52 pm »
Hi Wim (and Lars)

Hi Mark,
No, not at all. My version of gamedd.sys originates from joystick source code present in IBM Device Driver Kit (DDK) for OS/2.
Apart from modifications to interface with my new gamepad.sys device driver I had to add missing bios joystick functionality.

Wim

As this is a legacy joystick (Thrustmaster Mk.2 - gameport connection with a Logilink gameport to USB adapter) I was curious as to what would happen (or not) if I added the switch /TM to the gamedd.sys line (this switch is supposed to report a Thrustmaster joystick or equivalent as per the GAMEDD2.ZIP text file). The joystick, after I sorted out the DOS game settings, is behaving rather strangely, which could be related to the programming of the device driver, or could be due to the settings I'm using. I was trying to sort that out before reporting anything - I'm also trying to see what I get with a couple of other DOS game programs but, as I normally have those programs working perfectly in DOSBOX (minus the joystick - ie. mouse and keyboard) I need to determine the right settings in an ArcaOS DOS session and want to see if what is happening is consistent in other programs as well, before reporting back.

2Lars - as this is not a native USB device (ie. a rather clever jury rig by Padix, based on connecting an old game controller) I'm wanting to see what is happening with it first and why, hence my quation to Wim - I'm rather tempted at the moment to buy a current USB based Joystick, if such exist, for comparison purposes but will see what happens here first.

Best to the both of your gentlemen!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2022, 08:54:50 pm »
Hi All!

Its been a very busy couple of weeks, as tax season both personal and corporate is upon me at the moment in Canada, as well as transferring my websites to a new service provider. But I can say that I have been doing a lot of testing of Wim's drivers for game controllers in between. I can report some success in the process, and would like to share what I have found so far. 

Bottom line if you need a summary at the start: Wim Brul has made a significant contribution to moving game controller use forward under ArcaOS and other legacy OS's before it, with USB, however I suspect there is still things to do. Here's what I found so far, using a legacy Joystick (Thrustmaster Mk. II).

My testing focused on three areas at the moment:

1) Seeing if the current drivers could be used in a virtual DOS session, natively under ArcaOS (all my main systems are currently using v5.0.7)

2) Seeing if the drivers could be used with my joystick under the most current version of DOSBOX ported by Jochen for ArcaOS / eCS / OS/2 (an SDL based emulation).

3) Seeing if the drivers would allow me to use the joystick with a native OS/2 game (to my knowledge very few and far between, especially games that had game controller support)

For 1) above, using the joystick under a Virtual DOS Session

I will not go into all the testing details provided by Wim as this post is long enough already - if you would like to see his very detailed instructions, please download GAMEPAD-2022-03-17.zip, which Wim attached to one of his previous posts in this thread. I am currently putting together a testing guide based on what Wim has produced in the past, and additional items I've discovered during my current testing, which I hope to have available in the next few days. 

After confirming that things worked properly with first Wim's usbecd.sys and then the drivers which Wim kindly produced for us, for my Thrustmaster Joystick, I got two programs working in a virtual DOS session as follows:

Comanche 2 by Novalogic (1995) - an attack helicopter flight simulator of the never produced US AH-66 Comanche helicopter. Novalogic produced four separate versions of this software program, but I chose this one, as I have worked with it in the past, and also have had a copy of this running perfectly on DOSBOX. It also specifically supports the Thrustmaster Flight Control system as one of the built-in options.

Castle Wolfenstein 3D - One of the first of ID's many successful "shoot'em up" games, same era as Comanche 2. I chose getting this game running for testing as:

1) I understand Wim had tested his drivers on it with game pad controller(s) provided by Martin Iturbide, and was able to use them successfully

2) The program actually provides visual indications as to whether the program is detecting certain equipment, including joysticks and sound cards.

My original testing was not producing any results (controls not recognized), until I realized one thing, and then correctly set the second thing (ie. DOS session settings):

FIRST - assuming the device drivers are installed properly, it is VERY important to have xevents.cmd running in the background, while playing the game (can be enabled through a windowed ArcaOS command prompt) - otherwise the game will not recognize the joystick is there at all

SECOND - at least for my Joystick the DOS Session Settings GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE and GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS must both be set to OFF.

With the settings identified above, for COMANCHE 2 first, I was able to calibrate the joystick (a necessary step in COMANCHE 2, each time I played), and got the joystick to be recognized during flight tests.

If GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE was enabled, I could calibrate, but no buttons were recognized in flight and the stick would only work if I pulled back on the joystick, essentially backing up the helicopter in flight. With GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS enabled, I could not even calibrate the joystick, as no control functions were recognized at all.

With the correct settings I was able to both fly and complete a simple mission. However:

1) No buttons on the joystick were recognized other than the trigger button (there are four buttons in all - don't know if they define the first button as 0 or 1). The trigger could lose focus and suddenly not fire the weapon selected, and would require the key with the same function on the keyboard to be used, to reengage the joystick.

2) The hat (viewfinder) could not be used at the top of the joystick (in one case which I could not reproduce, the hat did give directional view control, but then locked the game, and I could not reproduce this again).

2Wim -  if you recall we reversed the lines governing axis control in xevents.cmd to see if that was the problem related to the program not seeing the joystick - I went back to the original xevents.cmd, as I found with the modified version, the hat in COMANCHE was actually sending the directional control signals, normally generated by moving the joystick. OOOPS

3) While the joystick could be moved and used successfully, directionally, to guide the aircraft, it would often lose focus (ie. the joystick would suddenly not turn or move the aircraft, or would continue to turn or move the aircraft endlessly, based on the last stick position). Using the same control function on the keyboard for a second or two would reengage the joystick but it could lose focus again at any time.

As to Castle Wolfenstein I was able, first, to get it loaded but in a rather ugly fashion - it does run well, with the DOS session settings I'm using, but you seem to have to push a random number of buttons during loading to get the starting screens to display on screen - if someone has a sure fire set of DOS session settings to get it loading nicely, please let me know!

As to sound for both COMANCHE and WOLF3D in a viretual DOS session I'm still puzzling over what SET BLASTER settings to use successfully in AUTOEXEC.BAT for both, if such can be done. Any suggestions welcome.

When Wolfenstein loads the first screen it indicates, with the settings described previously, that a joystick is present. Calibrating the joystick was a bit difficult, as the program didn't seem to recognize some button presses, but I eventually was able to calibrate the joystick and got both the trigger button (identified as button 0 in the program) and button 1 (which I mapped to open doors) to work. Wolfenstein did not identify either of buttons 2 or 3 although it indicates that buttons 0-3 can be used).

Running the program with those settings I was able to play the game, but found very similar to COMANCHE 2 that the joystick could lose focus, directionally and required the key strokes on the keyboard to occur, to get the joystick to function correctly again.

Buttons 0 and 1 (based on WOLF3D's definitions) remained the same, and did not lose focus.

Once the joystick calibration occurred in Wolfenstein, I have not needed to calibrate again thankfully.

All for now in this post - tests for the other items in another post and Best!

M
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 06:53:09 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2022, 09:02:42 pm »
Hello again!

As to testing DOSBOX with Wim's drivers ...........

Not as long a post as the previous.

I used the same two games for comparison purposes for device driver testing purposes:

1) Comanche 2
2) Castle Wolfenstein 3D

I could have used a large number of DOS games as I currently have 65 separate legacy DOS games working under DOSBOX thanks to Jochen's and others efforts, but I wanted to use the same two games for comparison purposes, as the two games above both work perfectly under ArcaOS DOSBOX, other than not being able to use a joystick or other game controllers in the past.

DOSBOX for ArcaOS has the ability to support game controllers through file DOS.conf which includes a section related to game controllers reproduced below

[joystick]
#  joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
#                  2axis (supports two joysticks),
#                  4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
#                  4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
#                  fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
#                  none disables joystick emulation.
#                  auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
#                  (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)
#                  Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.
#                  timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).
#                  autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
#                  buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype  = auto
timed         = true
autofire      = false
buttonwrap    = false

The default joystick type as above is "auto". Enabling xevents.cmd, I was unable to get DOSBOX to recognize the joystick in either program using the default setting.

However, changing "auto" to either "fcs" or "4axis", DOSBOX did seem to detect the joystick - however, attempting to calibrate the joystick in either COMANCHE 2 or WOLF3D, it did not seem to recognize any of the buttons, joystick movements or the hat, so I was unable to use a joystick under DOSBOX, currently.

I was able to determine that WOLF3D seems to find the joystick based on visual clues in the start windows. Set to "auto", in DOS.conf, a yellow light does not appear by the joystick in the WOLF3D start screen, whereas with either "fcs" or "4axis" as the setting, it does. I was able to get to the calibration window and tried to calibrate the joystick, but DOSBOX did not seem to recognize any of the buttons on the joystick, which is a necessary step to complete the calibration.

So, DOSBOX, while finding the joystick, still was not able to use it. If anyone has any ideas why, I'm certainly willing to test further and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2022, 09:08:04 pm »
Hi All Again!

The last of my testing posts.

This relates to testing Joystick Support under native ArcaOS

As to the last of my current test regime, I really have little to report specifically related to being able to test Wims game controller device drivers.

I have access to two possible OS/2 based games which seemed likely candidates for testing:

1) Trials of Battle (a native OS/2 program developed by Stardock Systems in their OS/2 heyday, which is a battle game using tank like vehicles to fight in either single player mode or multiplayer via network)

2) QuakeOS2 (a version of the popular Quake game of the time which was ported in the 90's when advocates were urging IBM to develop OS/2 as a gaming platform, in addition to a commercial one)

In the first case I have a commercial version of the program, which I purchased when it was released. Reinstalling the program, which requires the disk to remain in a CD drive, I was able to successfuly start it, but, on entering a battle, the system locks hard and requires a reboot after about 20 seconds.

Trials of Battle was released at just about the time IBM decided to pull further development support of OS/2, so Brad Wardell was not pleased, and this program never got past v1.0 and was quickly terminated by Stardock. It relies heavily on both DIVE and DART in its programming, so that may be the problem related to those lock-ups.

If anyone has got Trials of Battle working properly under ArcaOS, let me know what you did and I will attempt to duplicate. Any other suggestions welcome as well.

The QuakeOS2 port as I understand it used the Linux version as its base and the EMX runtime. Looking in my archives I found a copy of a very early port, but have been unable to get it running. If there is a working copy of QuakeOS2 out there again let me know and I will try that as well.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas as to how to test the joystick natively under the operating system, Guys. If anyone has any suggestions as to another program that may work under ArcaOS, let me know.

All for now - hope this testing I've done helps to advance the cause of getting these game controllers working properly, and I think we need to give Wim Brul, as always, a big round of thanks for all his efforts in this regard.

Best to all this weekend!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2022, 07:05:50 pm »
Hi All!

SECOND - at least for my Joystick the DOS Session Settings GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE and GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS must both be set to OFF.

I was puzzled as to what these settings actually do  when I was playing with them, as the built-in DOS session setting list under ArcaOS for these provides no explanations as to their function.

Doing a little research I found a detailed  explanation as to their function at the EDM/2 site which I thought I'd share, for anyone interested:

http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Input/Output_Device_Driver_Reference/Joystick_Device_Driver

GAME_DIRECT_ACCESS

OFF    The default setting. This prevents the DOS program from talking directly to the game port and thus allows the joystick device driver to do its work.

ON     This setting essentially disables the device driver by giving the DOS program direct access to the game port. You should only enable this setting if you are having problems with control of a DOS game and suspect that the joystick device driver may be at fault. This is also useful for testing the difference between having the device driver enabled and disabled for a particular game.

Based on current testing, this setting should always be OFF, unless you want to test game function without your game controller device involved.

GAME_DIGITAL_RESPONSE

ON    The default setting. When this option is enabled, the device driver reports information back to the DOS program in such a way as to make your joystick look digital even if it is analog.

OFF   Analog joysticks will look like analog joysticks.

The joystick I am using, the legacy Thrustmaster Mk II is analog in nature, so it made sense that the OFF setting would be preferred, based on the explanation above.

If you are using a USB based joystick or game pad (the majority of which are digital in nature) I would suggest to set this setting to ON first, if your doing testing. If strange responses to your game controller occur, try this setting on OFF and see what happens.

Best!

Mark

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2022, 09:38:15 pm »
Hi

I found my issue with MakMan.

- ArcaOS 5.0.4
- USB gamepad PCSIGP  081#:##01:0106
- gamepad-20220317.zip  Installed
- oinput.cmd and xevents.cmd showing feedback while pressing the gamepad buttons

Makman was working, with an older test release, as Jostick B, and stopped working for me with the latest release. But it was because I was missing something important from the instrucctions.
"I have to keep "xevents.cmd" running on the background". When "xevents.cmd" keeps running in the command line the USB gamepad works with Makman as joypad B.

Now, I have some issue with Wolf3D (DOS VDM).
- I keep running "xevent.cmd" the background
- Now when I run Wolf3d and ask me to press a key, I can press the gamepad button and will continue (means the USB Gamepad is being recognized in some way by the DOS game).
When I go to the WolF3D menu and select "Jostick", it asks me to caligrabrate the joystick. Now the buttons works, First it ask me to press "Upper Left + Button 0", and Later "Lower Righ + Button 1", it works ,but when I finish the Joystick "yellow light" does not turn on and I keep on the same configuration loop.

I need to further test other DOS VDM software.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:46:45 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.