Author Topic: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support  (Read 147879 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2022, 08:51:41 pm »
Hi Wim!

1. What does "lost focus" actually mean? I think it means that how hard you try, you do not see any changes on TMScope display occurring. In other words, you first see -RAW DATA- changing, and then after a while you see -RAW DATA- not changing anymore, and that is the so called "lost focus"? Please confirm.

2. When TMScope is in the "lost focus" situation, and you switch away from that session so you can see the xevents command window, do you still see live events occurring in that window when you manipulate your joystick? I am asking because I want to pinpoint where to look next.

Cheers, Wim.

In answer to 1) lose focus means that,. after a period of time no further inputs are noted on the various graphics displays, including the RAW DATA (IOW TMScope's graphics displays does not display RAW DATA,, no lighting of the button graphics or changes to the hat display when buttons or hat are pressed or manipulated, no cursor movement on the window that displays when the joystick is moved, etc.).

However, the mouse (TMScope aircraft cursor) can still move in the TMScope window, click buttons and perform normal functions.

I only mention this because similar behaviour occurred in testing when I ran Comanche 2 and in Wolfenstein as well - in the middle of flight, suddenly the Joystick inputs would not work - however, pressing the analogous buttons on the keyboard (which controlled flight direction, trigger control, etc.) restored joystick control and again the joystick buttons and stick would function correctly. The same occurred (Keyboard / Joystick wise) with Wolfenstein 3D.

In answer to 2)  when focus is lost, switching back to the desktop and checking, XEVENTS, inputs are still being recorded for all 4 buttons, hat and joystick movements.

I have ordered a new solely USB based Thrustmaster Flight joystick as one was available for a good price on Amazon. As that is not a legacy joystick being run through the Logilink Gameport to USB converter I should be able to see whether the same behaviour is present with that stick or whether it is endemic to the legacy joystick only, assuming I can use the same XEVENTS.CMD file for both - please advise if not.

Best of the weekend to you, Sir!

M
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2022, 09:36:28 pm »
Hi Again Wim!

1. What does "lost focus" actually mean? I think it means that how hard you try, you do not see any changes on TMScope display occurring. In other words, you first see -RAW DATA- changing, and then after a while you see -RAW DATA- not changing anymore, and that is the so called "lost focus"? Please confirm.

Cheers, Wim.

Interestingly, I had one more item to add today.

I decided to go back, and run Comanche 2 again, as I haven't run it for about a week and a half.

When I started the mission, I was only able to access the trigger (fire) button and joystick movement - however, when the joystick lost focus again I used the keyboard to establish control again ........... and after that I was able to use the hat to look directionally, use all four buttons for various control functions as well as the flight directional control of the joystick movement.

The joystick lost focus again a few times but I was still able to use all joystick control functions again after touching any of the control buttons on the keyboard.

Like all other things in modern computers, the Corsair gaming keyboard is USB based, so I'm not sure if this adds any additional information but thought I would mention it and Best!

Mark

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2022, 11:42:59 pm »
I found an issue. I was running Quake 1.01 on DOS VMD. (DOS Quake, not OS/2). It recogniced the gamepad (button 1 and button 2 only, I can not make the axis work yet).
If I unplugged suddenly the USB gamepad, I get this OS/2 trap on USBEHCD.
Workarround: Do not unplugg the gamepad  ;D

Let me know if the trap also happens on other systems, and also whatever data is needed to try to debug this.

Looks like something to open an issue up with, assuming you're using the Arca Noae USB stack

Hi

If someone else can please confirm that if they unplugged the USB gamepad (with xevents.cmd running in the background) in a DOS VDM session while running a Joystick supported game, and it get a USBEHCD trap, I will open the ticket.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »
Hi Mark,

I have ordered a new solely USB based Thrustmaster Flight joystick as one was available for a good price on Amazon. As that is not a legacy joystick being run through the Logilink Gameport to USB converter I should be able to see whether the same behaviour is present with that stick or whether it is endemic to the legacy joystick only, assuming I can use the same XEVENTS.CMD file for both - please advise if not.
You cannot use the same XEVENTS.CMD for both. For starters, their idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice  will be different. And their input report will be different too. I advice you to use LSUSB to find out that information.

When I started the mission, I was only able to access the trigger (fire) button and joystick movement - however, when the joystick lost focus again I used the keyboard to establish control again ........... and after that I was able to use the hat to look directionally, use all four buttons for various control functions as well as the flight directional control of the joystick movement.
I am puzzled. False positive? Perhaps Mode switch on Link USB 2.0 to Gameport Adapter is not working reliably? Flaky ThrustMaster, cable?

Wim.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2022, 09:11:56 pm »
Hi Martin!

I found an issue. I was running Quake 1.01 on DOS VMD. (DOS Quake, not OS/2). It recogniced the gamepad (button 1 and button 2 only, I can not make the axis work yet).
If I unplugged suddenly the USB gamepad, I get this OS/2 trap on USBEHCD.
Workarround: Do not unplugg the gamepad  ;D

Let me know if the trap also happens on other systems, and also whatever data is needed to try to debug this.

Looks like something to open an issue up with, assuming you're using the Arca Noae USB stack

Hi

If someone else can please confirm that if they unplugged the USB gamepad (with xevents.cmd running in the background) in a DOS VDM session while running a Joystick supported game, and it get a USBEHCD trap, I will open the ticket.

Regards

As you know I'm not testing a game pad, but I thought I'd try the same experiemtn with the joystick and my logilink connection.

Starting xevents in the background and running a Comanche 2 mission, then unplugging the USB connection, the DOS VDM continues to run with no Trap, and closing the VDM and examining the XEVENTS window, I get the pictured window attached below:

SYS0031: A device attached to the system is not functioning

get gamepad packet failed
<xevents.cmd> stopped

Plugging in the joystick again and running xevents again, restores the joystick control, either alone or in a DOS VDM.

Granted the following three variables may be different for you:

1) I'm not using a game pad
2) I'm running a different game in a DOS VDM
3) As Wim has written previously, you are using a different XEVENTS.CMD for your gamepad than the one I am using for the joystick

But at least this shows not all game controllers are causing the Trap and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2022, 07:12:47 pm »
Hi Wim!

Hi Mark,

You cannot use the same XEVENTS.CMD for both. For starters, their idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice  will be different. And their input report will be different too. I advice you to use LSUSB to find out that information.

I was actually taking that into account. Perhaps you misunderstood the question.

Obviously I would have to set up a new USBECD line in config.sys with the idVendor, idProduct and bcdDevice for the new joystick. And I assume, looking at the xevents.cmd, edit references there to also reflect the new joystick parameters above.

So if that is done, and as your REXX CMD file was written specifically for a joystick, I assume that it still could be used for testing a different joystick - correct? Or is there also lines that would need to be modified related to the Logilink mode switches?

I am puzzled. False positive? Perhaps Mode switch on Link USB 2.0 to Gameport Adapter is not working reliably? Flaky ThrustMaster, cable?

I don't think I'm getting a false positive, Wim as the effect is reproducible, for testing purposes, and I agree it could be possibly related to either the Logilink adapter or cable but the joystick has worked perfectly well in that configuration running gaming programs under Windows 7 in the past.

Perhaps there is another answer.

I 'm wondering if it may be related to USB polling rate?

Both my Corsair keyboards (one a K70 and the other a K95) are modern USB keyboards which are very good for regular applications, but are designed and engineered for gaming purposes first, where response time is important. I haven't looked up the specs yet but I suspect they may poll faster than most keyboards. As the joystick is very old and also being connected in a non standard way, does that sound plausible?

I assume running xevents and noting, right in the window on the desktop, the various responses, that would not be affected by the keyboard polling rate, but, in a DOS VDM, the keyboard may be "hijacking" control from the joystick regularly, hence the effect I'm referring to as "loss of focus".

I'm a hardware geek, but I'm not an engineer so I'm not sure how I could test that hypothesis - I'm also assuming that there is nothing that could be done with your REXX xevents program that could compensate for that (or in the device drivers?).

Its one of the reasons I want to try a modern version of joystick, that is specifically USB in nature - as it is a gaming controller of the now, perhaps it will mesh perfectly, polling rate wise, with the keyboard rate - I like my children sharing and playing nicely in their games ............ even if they are having a war <grin>.

Best of the start of the week, Sir!

M

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2022, 07:29:54 pm »
Hi Mark,

Both my Corsair keyboards (one a K70 and the other a K95) are modern USB keyboards which are very good for regular applications, but are designed and engineered for gaming purposes first, where response time is important. I haven't looked up the specs yet but I suspect they may poll faster than most keyboards. As the joystick is very old and also being connected in a non standard way, does that sound plausible?

I assume running xevents and noting, right in the window on the desktop, the various responses, that would not be affected by the keyboard polling rate, but, in a DOS VDM, the keyboard may be "hijacking" control from the joystick regularly, hence the effect I'm referring to as "loss of focus".

I'm a hardware geek, but I'm not an engineer so I'm not sure how I could test that hypothesis - I'm also assuming that there is nothing that could be done with your REXX xevents program that could compensate for that (or in the device drivers?).
I tried and reproduced the "loss of focus" problem on my desktop computer. It appears that xevents.cmd needs to run at fixed high priority.

So you need to modify your xevents.cmd as follows:

1. Insert the following line just after line 1:

rc=RxFuncAdd('SysGetMessage','RexxUtil','SysSetPriority')
rc=RxFuncAdd('SysSetPriority','RexxUtil','SysSetPriority')

2. Insert the following 2 lines just before the "do forever" line

/* set time critical priority */
rc=SysSetPriority(3,31)

Best regards,
Wim.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:41:30 am by Wim Brul »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2022, 10:31:25 am »
Hi Wim,
I suspect that you mean;

???

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2022, 11:31:52 am »
Hallo Lars,
Hi Wim,
I suspect that you mean;

???
Yes. Just found out the hard way myself this morning. Thanks.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2022, 06:09:03 pm »
Good Morning Wim!
(and to Lars as well)

Hi Mark,

I tried and reproduced the "loss of focus" problem on my desktop computer. It appears that xevents.cmd needs to run at fixed high priority.

So you need to modify your xevents.cmd as follows:

1. Insert the following line just after line 1:

rc=RxFuncAdd('SysGetMessage','RexxUtil','SysSetPriority')

2. Insert the following 2 lines just before the "do forever" line

/* set time critical priority */
rc=SysSetPriority(3,31)

Best regards,
Wim.

Just catching up on posts and e-mails this morning, gentlemen - been an interesting Easter week leadup and weekend, between domain transfers, a severe illness in the family (awaiting to see what will happen), two massive snowstorms and finally a birth - first grandchild to an old friend, on Easter Day.

It gives our Easter reflection on the meaning of both death and re-birth a whole new perspective ............. !

I think I will approach this in two ways, for testing purposes based on your very thoughtful comments:

1) I will make the modifications both of you provided to test my current Joystick, and provide feedback as soon as possible.

2) The additional new joystick has not arrived yet, but I will attempt to modify the current xevents.cmd to be able to test that with the current REXX file, as well as testing the new xevents configuration - I'm still curious as to whether a new USB based Joystick of similar configuration would experience the same "loss of focus" issue as previously described. And it might provide us further data.

Will let you know what I find out soon, and if I have any questions.

Best!

Mark

« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 06:12:02 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2022, 03:26:32 am »
Hi Wim!

Hallo Lars,
Hi Wim,
I suspect that you mean;

???
Yes. Just found out the hard way myself this morning. Thanks.

Created xevents2.cmd this morning with the modifications you requested - I noted that both you and Lars had the same statement in your posts, so I assume that you modified the original post to reflect Lars's suggestion.

In summary based on about an hours testing:

1) The change I noted the most on Comanche 2, running xevents2, was that the program immediately recognized ALL controls on the Joystick, including all four buttons, the hat controls and joystick movements, right from the start - loss of focus was still noted but much less than previous, so polling may be a factor - I ran 5 training missions, and was able to complete them rather easily, but probably needed to use the keyboard about once every 1-2 minutes to get the Joystick to respond - not a lock but whatever the last command was that was issued by the joystick (a yawl one side or the other, down throttle, button activation or other) required me to engage the keyboard to get joystick control working again.

2) Playing Wolfenstein I can only get two buttons to work, but this is the same as previously (Have configured B0 = Fire and B1 = Open, although it says it at least supports additional B2) and movement using the joystick works most of the time - have had to use the keyboard to re-focus the joystick about once every 3-4 minutes, to re-engage the joystick. Not really much of a problem, as, realistically, Wolfenstein is probably played best with just the keyboard.

3) Still need to see how long TMScope will remained focused with xevents2 - a job for another day.

I've attached the edited xevents2.cmd below, if you want to see if the edits were done correctly and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2022, 07:33:21 pm »
Hi Wim!

Hi Mark,

Had a few minutes this morning, so spent about 20 minutes playing with TMScope and the joystick - I tried both xevents2 and the original xevents to see if any differences were notable.

With xevents2, playing with the various joystick controls with the display up, I did not lose focus for about 5 minutes, then the inputs didn't work - hitting any key on my K70 keyboard resulted in the joystick again sending inputs to the TMScope display. Twice, using the mouse to operate the display buttons on the right hand side resulted in the joystick providing no input to TMScope, which was again fixed by pressing any button on the keyboard.

Switching back to xevents and running the same tests, the loss of focus seemed to occur faster and be more frequent - I was able again to recover hitting any key on the K70 - this may be just subjective, but it seemed with the original xevents, recovery, so that the joystick was again supplying input, seemed a little most sluggish, but that just may be my impression.

So, xevents2, with your modifications, seem to work much better with all the tests I've run, on 3 DOS programs - the "loss of focus" still occurs, but much less frequently.

I don't know how TMScope is measuring the "Port Speed" in the upper left hand corner of the TMScope display, but when I do that measurement (by pressing the button present on the right hand side, with the mouse), the port speed is reported as two notches up on the scale, instead of the 5 reported when the program starts (the default position), so it may indicate that the Logilink switch port input rate is quite low - but again that is just a subjective assessment, as the reported post speed is not being reported as a hard number, calculated scientifically - Until I get the USB based joystick I have nothing for comparison purposes.

I also did do some research on Corsair keyboard polling rates, and it was quite interesting.

They keep producing constantly updated versions of the same model keyboard, so you have to examine carefully, which ones they are referring to. Professional gaming seems to have exploded as a sporting competition, and looking at the current 2021 era Corsairs K-70 RGB Pro and K-70 RGB TKL (a smaller tournament grade keyboard where TKL stands for "ten keys less"), polling rates are running with advanced AXON technology at up to 8000 Hz (0.125 ms access time), in many cases programmable.

Those seem to be the big brothers to my K-70 RGB (which was purchased in 2020), which is polling, according to specs at 1000 Hz (1 ms access time) default, as opposed to normal keyboards in the 125 Hz range. My Corsair K-95 purchased in 2021 is similar. Both keyboards are completely similar in layout, with the addition of 6 programmable macro keys on the left on the K-95, and a less mechanical feel to the K-95 keys.

Its my understanding that PS/2 based keyboards and equipment were interrupt based not polling based, so I expect the joysticks of that era were similar - don't know how the Logilink game port to USB adapter translates that, but I expect response and access, like most workaround technology, would be slower. I'm sure you. Lars and others here would know far more about the subject than I do.

That completes my testing report for now- please advise if you would like me to test anything further Wim, based on the  current equipment I have - I have not included any xevents.log files as I don't think they will tell you anything not referred to above - examining them after a DOS session indicates that the joystick is functioning correctly mechanically, and sending xevents reports at all times, with the current drivers - it is just the loss of focus problem that seems to be occurring here - my results may not be typical, because of the equipment I am using for testing - more testers may be needed to get a good idea of how your drivers are functioning generally.

Best as always!

Mark
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:45:47 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »
Hi Wim!

Got the new USB Joystick yesterday - it is a Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X, and seems to be a hybrid between a  HOTAS Joystick, and a Game Pad,  with the typical 4 buttons, Hat, Trigger mechanism and movement with the Joystick and 6 additional buttons on the base, as well as a slider control. It is programmable in addition to having pre-set settings. It is designed for use with both a PC and a PS/3 system (using a slider switch at the front). I'm still assessing the intricacies of this Joystick, and may need to do so under Windows for more detailed tests of the equipment.

As a preliminary to undertaking these ArcaOS tests, I added an additional line for USBECD in Config.sys, rebooted, then plugged the USB connector in and ran USBRead to obtain the following Vendor ID's:

044F:B106:0100

So the complete line I then added to Config.sys was:

DEVICE=D:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:044F:B106:0100 /N:$FLIGHT$ /V

Rebooting, I then created two new xevents files:

xeventsF1 - based on the newest xevents (xevents2) I sent you a few days ago, containing the modifications to run at fixed high priority.

xeventsF2 - based on the original xevents, with the slight modifications we made previously.

I've attached copies of both to this post.

The changes I made in both were:

Line 9   - Changed to ddNameI='$FLIGHT$'
Line 13 - Changed to info='DEVICE=?:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:044F:B106:0100 /N:'ddNameI

Based on the results of the current tests with the new Joystick, you may see other changes that need to be made - scanning through the rest of the .CMD files, I thought that may be sufficient but perhaps not.

I ran the first test just starting xeventsF1 and pressing the various buttons and hat and adjusting the Joystick aspect. What came back as output in the window was the following:

Packet=00F0FF808080FF00,Huh?
etc.

actual xevents.log attached.

As the normal data output packets returned by the previous Joystick are more like:

Ax=4A00, Ay=5600, Bx=FF00, By=6F00, Buts=F000
Ax=4A00, Ay=5600, Bx=FF00, By=6F00, Buts=E000
Ax=4A00, Ay=5600, Bx=FF00, By=6F00, Buts=F000

I can only assume that xevents could see output, but is not interpreting the output correctly for some reason.

The current log sent contains output from the new joystick, mostly - the normal data output packets in there occurred when I ran the older joystick through a couple of tests to verify the differences - both are plugged into my test system at tthe moment, but, as the two sets of xevents.cmd files contain different equipment specific ID's, I assumed they would not interfere with one another if only a specific xevents joystick profile is run.

Trying TMScope, I was unable to get the displays to recognize any inputs from the new Joystick, which is connected as per usual now, with a standard USB connector.

Two other things were also noted:

1) all the buttons on the new Joystick generated a packet output in xeventsF1 (including the extra six on the base and slider), and

2) even with the joystick at rest, and no buttons being pressed, a new packet was being generated in xeventsF1 every four seconds of so (something that was not seen ever with the older Joystick). I'm not sure if that can be interpreted as the USB Joystick polling or not.

I also could not get either of the test DOS games to recognize the new Joystick at the moment, probably based on the output noted previously.

I did not note much difference from above running xeventsF2 (the modified older xevents with no prioity modifications), so I'm not sure if fixed high priority is an issue or necessary with a modern joystick or not.

Will send pictures of the new joystick at some point so you can see the layout - busy with a few other matters at the moment, but will reply to any comments or queries you may have as soon as possible.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2022, 05:12:59 pm »
Pictures of the new Joystick attached.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:14:31 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2022, 09:53:21 pm »
Hi Mark,

Got the new USB Joystick yesterday - it is a Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X, and seems to be a hybrid between a  HOTAS Joystick, and a Game Pad,  with the typical 4 buttons, Hat, Trigger mechanism and movement with the Joystick and 6 additional buttons on the base, as well as a slider control. It is programmable in addition to having pre-set settings. It is designed for use with both a PC and a PS/3 system (using a slider switch at the front). I'm still assessing the intricacies of this Joystick, and may need to do so under Windows for more detailed tests of the equipment.
Nice. Let us see if we can get this to work. You did already successfully do the first necessary steps. You wrote earlier:

I've attached the edited xevents2.cmd below, if you want to see if the edits were done correctly and Best!
Unfortunately line 2 was replaced whereas line 2 had to be inserted. Applies to xeventsF1.cmd too. See below.

Based on the results of the current tests with the new Joystick, you may see other changes that need to be made - scanning through the rest of the .CMD files, I thought that may be sufficient but perhaps not.
Looked into xevents.log and prepared xeventsF1a.cmd and xeventsF2a.cmd to be used for now.

I also prepared oinputF1a.cmd for you to use to find out what input record is produced for what user action. So you will have to push each button in succession and report back the results like you did before. Same for moving the joystick and slider and so on. You know the drill.

Moreover I need you to attach the lsusb report. Use "lsusb -d:044f:b106 -v > 044fb106.txt" to get that.

Best regards, Wim.