Author Topic: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support  (Read 147654 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2022, 03:30:45 am »
Well did step one, installing usbecd.sys and that killed my cheap non-conformant mouse, vender ID is zero on the mouse.
Now back to the PDF and figure out the parameters to usbecd.sys

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2022, 03:25:32 pm »
Heh Dave!

Well did step one, installing usbecd.sys and that killed my cheap non-conformant mouse, vender ID is zero on the mouse.
Now back to the PDF and figure out the parameters to usbecd.sys

Hope your having a fine week.

Just was wondering if you found the Testing Guide v1.1 or any use at all in setting up Wim's DD's and getting your joystick or gamepad to work for testing.

I'm nearly finished v1.2 of same and just wondered if you had any suggestions as I put the finishing touches to it and Best!

M
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2022, 08:19:25 am »
Hi Mark, actually had 2 days in a row without rain, nice.
You're testing guide is fairly good, I did get lost in editing xeventsF1d.cmd, wasn't sure how to update it when it came to pressing buttons etc. I actually got 2 lines of output each time I did something, then something else came up and I got distracted. Other then that, it is pretty good.
Thanks

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2022, 03:57:51 pm »
Hi Dave!

Just starting to get some rain this week here after weeks without, so nothing like what you or Manitoba are getting - my brother there said he was sure there was a lawn somewhere under the lake around his property ....... !

Hi Mark, actually had 2 days in a row without rain, nice.
You're testing guide is fairly good, I did get lost in editing xeventsF1d.cmd, wasn't sure how to update it when it came to pressing buttons etc. I actually got 2 lines of output each time I did something, then something else came up and I got distracted. Other then that, it is pretty good.
Thanks

As mentioned previously, when Wim created the gamepad package, the xevents files provided were customized in nature, based on equipment that Martin had provided and information about my original Thrustmaster joystick. Wim has done an amazing job on this project, in most cases at least for me going solely on the testing data I send him and lsusb reports, but as he has mentioned a number of times, we are still in the highly experimental stage.

I realize now that the xeventsf1d file was probably not the best one to provide - it was written for a joystick that has 4 buttons, a hat and the typical joystick movement mechanism, as well as an additional 6 buttons on the base, a throttle slider (which generates output but is probably useless for our applications and is programmable only in Windows)

I have not added anything currently in the guide I compiled about modifying xevents.cmd, but given you sound like your pretty busy at the moment, I wonder if you can simply try this.

I've attached xeventsjoy.cmd below, which is a version of the original xevents Wim provided, with some tweaking based on things we've found so far during testing.

Go into the file, which is for my older joystick, and modify the following:

Change Line 9:

ddNameI='$THRUST$' ; ddNameO='GAMEPAD$'

to ddNameI=<name for your device>
(ie. the /N: name you gave it in CONFIG.SYS)

Change Line 13:

info='DEVICE=?:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:0583:203#:0110 /N:'ddNameI

to add the specific /D: info for your game controller as entered in CONFIG.SYS

Save the xevents.cmd file at that point and run it from a windowed command prompt.

If the device drivers are working and that is successful, you should see output being generated in the open window similar to:

Ax=4900, Ay=5600, Bx=FF00, By=6F00, Buts=F000

The output will continue every time an action is taken with your game controller and will vary based on what control is pressed or joystick movement occurs. Closing the window will stop the command file

You could try something similar for Gamepads, using one of the files contained in the directories other than in RM203 (that is my joystick) in the latest of Wim's Gamepad device driver package.

I'm curious to see if you just make those minor adjustments, Dave, without changing anything else, whether the xeventsjoy file would work for others - the whole basic output of joysticks really has not changed for decades, so if your using a simple joystick for testing most if not all of the other lines should work without modification.

The only basic weird thing we noticed when I did the same experiment with the new joystick, modifying the original xevents file, came when the output in the window was coming out as:

Packet=00F0FF808080FF00,Huh?
etc.

From the lsusb report we learned that the new joysticks input reports are only 7 bytes long. With the older joystiock it obtained 8 byte input records and check the 8th byte for certain values. That is why those HUH? packets were encountered.

I fine day to you Dave and Best!

M
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:19:13 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2022, 07:41:12 pm »
Heh Guys!

I'm posting an new updated version of Testing Guide for Game Controllers - v1.2, in PDF, as attached.

I adjusted the formatting for easier readability, and try to add all the information, Martin, Wim and I have found so far about getting the device drivers and equipment to run for testing, under the Native OS and DOS - I've also added a Tested Equipment table to the guide, as a start, to compile things we've found so far and to add to in future.

To Wim and Martin - if you can give me some feedback about the equipment your using related to gamepads and possibly other joysticks I will try to add it to the next edition.

Hopefully anyone reading it will find the information useful, if you want to try to do some tests as well - I've tried to make the information user friendly, at the most basic level, so hopefully people won't find it too wordy or convoluted.

Any suggestions are also welcome here or at the e-mail given in the guide. Any faux pas's found are completely my own - any advances and brilliance related to this project are solely due to the efforts of people who never get enough credit for what they do for this community ............

As a tester, I've found this project a great learning experience - as one of my special skills is methods engineering, hopefully this contribution makes up for all the dumb questions I constantly ask related to the efforts of the people who do the real work here ...............

Best of the day to all!

M

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2022, 05:55:01 pm »
Hi Mark

Thanks for your guide, I want to promote it a little bit. I was thinking to post a news about your guide and the beta testing of USB Gamepad that we are doing on this thread. Are you ok with that?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2022, 06:21:18 pm »
Hi Mark and Martin,

Right now I am reviewing the Testing Guide for Game Controllers - v1.2, in PDF, as attached earlier by Mark Szkolnicki.

Mark, I will send you an email with my comments as soon as possible. Will take some time though.

Martin, I think it is best to wait for Mark to have digested and incorporated my comments.

Best regards, Wim .

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2022, 06:45:32 pm »
Martin, I think it is best to wait for Mark to have digested and incorporated my comments.

Ok, that's good.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2022, 04:59:51 am »
Hi Wim!

Hope things are going well!

Hi Mark and Martin,

Right now I am reviewing the Testing Guide for Game Controllers - v1.2, in PDF, as attached earlier by Mark Szkolnicki.

Mark, I will send you an email with my comments as soon as possible. Will take some time though.

Best regards, Wim .

I think we're at the point, given Dave Yeo, a very active participant in the community, wants to do some testing, knowing that he is very inolved in Seamonkey at the moment, so I would want what we're doing to reflect the positive results received so far, as well as reflecting the experimental nature of what we're doing, as well, to provide more data..

Do you think that can be done, Wim at this stage? Frankly I think we need a little more involvement from others - as long as its not suddenly meaning that you are having to create more custom joystick or gamepad xevents packages - the current guide reflects that in the wording and Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2022, 05:29:57 am »
Yes, I'm hoping to revisit once not so busy. So much to do outside if it doesn't rain tomorrow and right now I don't want to do anything that might lead to a reboot :) I'm sure memory is getting short, yep 94 MB shared low memory.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2022, 03:20:57 pm »
 I've also been following this with interest so ordered a Logitech F310 gamepad (seems to be popular and inexpensive). Once I get it, I'll use Mark's guide to try it out. Thanks for all the development work on this!

Regards,

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2022, 04:33:49 pm »

Good Morning, Wim

Hi Mark and Martin,

Best regards, Wim .

Take all the time you need, Sir! I'm looking forward to your comments.

Theres a couple of items related to this that I'd like to discuss as well with you directly, but don't have an e-mail - if you'd like to provide one to the e-mail;; I indicated in the guide, we can do some brainstorming and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2022, 04:47:52 pm »
Heh Dave!

Yes, I'm hoping to revisit once not so busy. So much to do outside if it doesn't rain tomorrow and right now I don't want to do anything that might lead to a reboot :) I'm sure memory is getting short, yep 94 MB shared low memory.

I was outside all day yesterday - fixing some solar lanterns (rebuilt the lanterns and replaced some solar panels), cut our 1/4 acre, put waterlilies back in our pond, cut down and corded 2 columnar aspens - the checkmarks on my checklist are probably like yours - they are far outnumbered by TTD's, given the length of our summer season here in Alberta.

But I couldn't live in the city anymore, except under duress, Dave - the natural trees in bloom; geese, ducks, herons and swans on the lake; waking to all the varieties of songbirds, and visits by hummingbirds, songbirds and squirrels to our feeders, birdbaths and our tsukabai and fountains - I came from the north end of Winnipeg, and it was nothing like this .........

Nope Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside ........... !

And as to memory - sometimes I think I only have about 94 Mb upstairs on a good day .............. <sic>

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
Heh David!

Hope you having a fine weekend.

I've also been following this with interest so ordered a Logitech F310 gamepad (seems to be popular and inexpensive). Once I get it, I'll use Mark's guide to try it out. Thanks for all the development work on this!

Regards,

Yes, some days it does look like its just Wim, Martin and I having a conversation on this thread - until the straw poll (views) tells me that there have been 24,700 views of this thread as of this morning. Obviously there is a LOT of interest in what may seem like a tiny trivial subject, David ..............

I wanted to do a guide on what we are doing to capture what we've learned so far, as the one thing I do see is a LOT of useful information provided by the very gifted braintrust that lurks around our forums - the trouble is how many hundred posts do you have to go through to find the one thing that you seem to recall in someones post from 2 years ago? I'm doing this constantly myself, so I thought, why not?

Version 1.1 was ready, and I was using it as a guide myself, so when that rather fun loving Mr. Yeo (who steals his kids gamepads when they're not looking) started asking about what we were doing, I thought it was time to release it, as Martin was heroically trying to explain how to do all this from scratch (and Martin IS a true hero - perhaps we should do a video game starring HIM someday)  :)

In my spare <sic> time I'm hoping to do more of these, on other subjects we're discussing - I have a few in draft for my own use already, as its something I've done for years for paying clients - only their emergency plans and guides usually ran into hundreds of pages, something I hope to avoid here .......

But thanks for your kind words today, Sir - in my experience, in emergency response, when you do something right, you never hear a peep - however, if things go horribly wrong ........... WELL!

Best!

M

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2022, 06:46:28 pm »
Hi

I want to try the PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected).

I had added this on the config.sys:
Code: [Select]
DEVICE=X:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:054C:0268:0100 /N:$PSX3$ /V
I had changed the "HUSKEE" oiput and xevents scripts to point to "$PSX3$". In xevents I had updated "Line 13" (or 14?) to point to "054C:0268:0100", but I get no output from the scripts. I guess it is not as simple as that.

Any tips?

Regards
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 07:19:52 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster