Author Topic: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support  (Read 147625 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2022, 07:49:52 pm »
Hi Mark.

Just in case, if you want to update the table on your guide (Page 9 - tested Equipment), I have some details of my gamepads here: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Joysticks

Which reminds me I need to take some time to test the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" that I have around.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2022, 09:26:08 pm »
Hi Martin,
Hi

I want to try the PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected).

I had added this on the config.sys:
Code: [Select]
DEVICE=X:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:054C:0268:0100 /N:$PSX3$ /V
I had changed the "HUSKEE" oiput and xevents scripts to point to "$PSX3$". In xevents I had updated "Line 13" (or 14?) to point to "054C:0268:0100", but I get no output from the scripts. I guess it is not as simple as that.

Any tips?

Regards
Since this controller has not been tried and tested before, it is best to prepare a new oinput.cmd first.
From the attached lsusb -v report (PSX3controller.txt) I learned that it uses 64 byte input records.
I have prepared oinput64.cmd that I attach here for you to tryout first.

Best regards,
Wim.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2022, 04:28:11 pm »
Hi Martin!

Hi Mark.

Just in case, if you want to update the table on your guide (Page 9 - tested Equipment), I have some details of my gamepads here: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Joysticks

Which reminds me I need to take some time to test the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" that I have around.

Regards

Thanks, Martin - I'll add some more of the actual explanation info into the Tested Equipment Section

I'll send you some info related to the Logilink adapter as well as the Thrustmaster Joysticks for inclusion there as well, with pictures.

Let me know either here or via my e-mail once you've tested the MaxFighter and I''ll also add that if things are working for you

Got comments from Wim so will be starting Guide v1.3 sometime today - if anyone else has any observations or success stories, I'd be interested in those.

Best!.

M
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2022, 04:43:42 pm »
Hi Martin,
Hi

I want to try the PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected).

I had added this on the config.sys:
Code: [Select]
DEVICE=X:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:054C:0268:0100 /N:$PSX3$ /V
I had changed the "HUSKEE" oiput and xevents scripts to point to "$PSX3$". In xevents I had updated "Line 13" (or 14?) to point to "054C:0268:0100", but I get no output from the scripts. I guess it is not as simple as that.

Any tips?

Regards
Since this controller has not been tried and tested before, it is best to prepare a new oinput.cmd first.
From the attached lsusb -v report (PSX3controller.txt) I learned that it uses 64 byte input records.
I have prepared oinput64.cmd that I attach here for you to tryout first.

Best regards,
Wim.

Hi Wim

I had tried the attached "oinput64.cmd" but it does not gave me any response when I press the buttons. I only get black screen with no activity.
I had confirmed that the PSX3 controller is connected by using lsusb and checking that it has the lights blinking.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2022, 05:01:37 pm »
Hi

It was time to also give a test drive to the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" with ArcaOS.

I took the "RM203" files and copy it as "MAXFIG".
Added:

DEVICE=X:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:0458:3019:0100 /N:$MAXFIG$ /V
Changed the oinput and xevents and I got some output there.

But I overestimated the difference between a joystick and gamepad. It seems that the joystick has something different that is always "pressing". Even that I got different visual feedback when I press the buttons, I was not able to make Makman and Wolfstein 3D to work with the RM203 scripts, also the DOS game joytest utilities does not provide any movement.

I'm attaching the scripts and log just in case.

Regards

Funny Note: I had to check the online dictionary to know what is a "Rudder" and I still does not know what does it do on a Joystick  ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:10:19 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2022, 09:13:33 pm »
Hi Martin!

Hi

It was time to also give a test drive to the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" with ArcaOS.

Added:

But I overestimated the difference between a joystick and gamepad. It seems that the joystick has something different that is always "pressing". Even that I got different visual feedback when I press the buttons, I was not able to make Makman and Wolfstein 3D to work with the RM203 scripts, also the DOS game joytest utilities does not provide any movement.

Regards

Did you try modifying the Xeventsf1d.cmd file that Wim created for me? (I've attached it again below but included it in a separate post to Dave Yeo previously)

I don't know which Xevents is present in the most current RM203 file, but the MaxFighter looks very similar to the T.Flight X in configuration, so the changes there may settle things down. The MaxFighter schematic seems very similar to the T.Flight, being kind of a cross between a joystick and a gamepad

Some of that may also be due to calibration - the Mk2 and T.Flight X have sometimes needed to be re calibrated when one or the other is used in a game.

Some Joysticks can also be really sensitive - the new T. Flight has a tension adjustment on the bottom which I have cranked up to max, as I'm used to the heavy springs on the Mk2.

Funny Note: I had to check the online dictionary to know what is a "Rudder" and I still does not know what does it do on a Joystick 

The T. Flight actually has a Throttle control on the base which is a slider.

The Mk II was actually part of a Flight Control System, which also included a separate plug-in throttle. The latest systems have a Joystick, separate Throttle, Foot peddles for rudder control, sometimes even what is called a "collective" lever for helicopter control (adjusts the rotors so the helicopter doesn't spin out of control - its also the way to control direction) - I know one fellow who even has a custom chair to surround himself with all the controls - WILD!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2022, 01:58:58 am »
Heh Martin!

Wim in an e-mail back to me mentioned you had indicated that Masterroids might be another possible native OS/2 game to test, as it does have Joystick support. So I decided to download it from OS2World today, install and run it.

Have you or has anyone else actually tried to run this game?

Its circa 1995 and has a registration block which was obviously quite important to the author - however, despite a seemly endless set of menu categories and customization choices, there seemly seems to be something missing ............. as in HOW DO YOU ACTUALLY START THE GAME?!?

The first (Game) selection menu certainly tells you how to stop a session and exit the game, but nothing obvious as to how to start it - it originally pops up with a window that's supposed to allow you to sign in as a player (and a block on it that you must click to acknowledge you will register in 30 days) which cycles back and forth between that page and a title page, but NO menu item that simply says "Start New Game".

Exiting the game gives you this weird screen where you're supposed to place checkmarks in 7 checkboxes around the window then click a big checkmark button at the bottom.

Any clues as to how to run this one - looks like an exciting variation in living technicolour (if anyone remembers THAT) of the old monochrome Asteroids game.

Best!

M

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2022, 02:26:46 am »
I haven't tried this in years, but it is a pretty nice game that ought to be cracked.

To play, use the menu Game->Players->1 and the game will start. Fire using right shift, and right control does shields or something.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2022, 05:38:29 am »
Heh Neil!

I haven't tried this in years, but it is a pretty nice game that ought to be cracked.

To play, use the menu Game->Players->1 and the game will start. Fire using right shift, and right control does shields or something.

Discovered that after trying every key combination on the keyboard and then starting with the Games Dropdown - I discovered it by pure dumb luck - of such is brilliance made <sic>.

Still trying to get it to recognize the joystick - it looks like its calibrating but your using the mouse to press all the buttons - starting the game no movement of the joystick or buttons are recognized.

Will try using just the keyboard for the moment - looks like it could be a fun game ............ if you like blowing lots of things up ............. !

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2022, 06:31:57 am »
Okay Guys and Gals - after some head scratching, I got joysticks working under Masterroids 1.1.

Again it is not obvious how to do it.

With Xevents running for the joystick I'm testing, I ran Masterroids - a box is present at start-up asking you to center the joystick and then press enter (can be done from either a mouse or hitting ENTER on the keyboard.

Follow the instructions when the calibration graphic window opens - move the joystick around in a circle a couple of times then click the big Checkmark button.

Before starting the game you must go to the Options dropdown, and then click on Player (very obvious, right? - N-O-T)

A window will open which allows you to customize the keyboard control settings, for each of up to 4 players. However, there is also a checkbox marked "Joystick" which must be checked as well. Press the big Checkmark button at the bottom to go back to the starting screens.

To run the game, go to the Games dropdown - choose 1 player, then enter, to start the game.

Without checking that one Joystick checkbox, the game will not recognize that a Joystick is there, despite asking you to calibrate same .......... a fine example of the first corollary to Murphy's Law - namely Murphy was an optimist ............

And, oh, by the way, this has to be done each time the game is run - despite the ability to register the game is long in the past, the unregistered version will not save any changes to PLAYER or SETTINGS options from game to game, as opposed to settings under CONFIGURATION, also in the Options dropdown.

But we have yet another native OS game that can be tested, kids - and from the limited time spent on it this evening, a game that is a lot of fun, bringing me back to the money dropping hours I spent in the video arcades about a century ago .......... !

Time for bed and Best!

M
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 04:27:42 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2022, 06:19:45 pm »
Heh Dave

I'm sure memory is getting short, yep 94 MB shared low memory.

When I was trying to decrypt how to run Masterroids yesterday, I had to chuckle when I read the readme.1st file included, as follows:

--------------------

MASTERROIDS loads up to 3 MB data, so your computer should have a
    minimum of 8 MB RAM. (Sorry about that, but I had no chance to test the
    game on a computer with 4 MB. I don't even know, if 4 MB is enough for
    OS/2 itself. )

You should have a 486 or better (66 MHz or more. 33 MHz is possible
    but slow. Sorry. )

Cause the game puts your graphic-card to its limits (and the processor
    as well) it would be the best, you have no other programs running in the
    background.

You could have run roughly 30 sessions of Masterroids, at the same time in the 94 Mb left!

And apologizing for the program taking up ALL CPU time and Graphics cards resources?

How our view of the tech world, and its challenges, has changed .....................

M

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2022, 01:54:29 am »
Hi Martin!

Hi

Added:

Regards

Did you try modifying the Xeventsf1d.cmd file that Wim created for me? (I've attached it again below but included it in a separate post to Dave Yeo previously)

I don't know which Xevents is present in the most current RM203 file, but the MaxFighter looks very similar to the T.Flight X in configuration, so the changes there may settle things down. The MaxFighter schematic seems very similar to the T.Flight, being kind of a cross between a joystick and a gamepad

Some of that may also be due to calibration - the Mk2 and T.Flight X have sometimes needed to be re calibrated when one or the other is used in a game.

Some Joysticks can also be really sensitive - the new T. Flight has a tension adjustment on the bottom which I have cranked up to max, as I'm used to the heavy springs on the Mk2.

Funny Note: I had to check the online dictionary to know what is a "Rudder" and I still does not know what does it do on a Joystick 

The T. Flight actually has a Throttle control on the base which is a slider.

The Mk II was actually part of a Flight Control System, which also included a separate plug-in throttle. The latest systems have a Joystick, separate Throttle, Foot peddles for rudder control, sometimes even what is called a "collective" lever for helicopter control (adjusts the rotors so the helicopter doesn't spin out of control - its also the way to control direction) - I know one fellow who even has a custom chair to surround himself with all the controls - WILD!

M

Hi Mark

I tried xeventsF1d.cmd , I changed the NAME and HardwareID, but I get no output from it.
I tried back the xevents.cmd (RM203) and it keeps giving me some output.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2022, 02:14:15 am »
Hi Martin, my limited understanding is that the PlayStation (and XBox) controllers aren't actually joysticks, at least as far as the PC is concerned. They look like a joystick and act like a joystick but use a different driver. My son, who is currently using an XBox controller on his Windows PC agrees.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2022, 02:22:02 am »
Hi Mark, when I first started using OS/2, Warp v3, it was on a 4MB 386/33. At first just as a drop in replacement for DOS, then slowly migrating to OS/2 programs like WebExplorer. Had to be very careful in tuning and not use the WPS for it to be usable. That readme would have been very pertinent at the time. Even when I upgraded to 8MBs and swapped the CPU for a 486DLC.
Now here we are, so much memory that most is used as a ramdisk and still worried about the browser using all the memory :)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2022, 03:35:53 am »
Hi Martin!

Hi Mark

I tried xeventsF1d.cmd , I changed the NAME and HardwareID, but I get no output from it.
I tried back the xevents.cmd (RM203) and it keeps giving me some output.

Regards

Then I suspect, although the layouts of T.Flight and the MaxFighter are similar, your MaxFighter has more in common with the older joystick than the newer - input packet size perhaps? Looking at your lsusb hardware report and mine I see marked differences in the way each operates, although there are commonalities as well.

Did you modify the original xevents.cmd in RM203 from the original package (gamepad-20220317?)

If so, you might want to try this one attached - it is the latest one I'm using for the older Joystick - it contains some modifications from the original - I suspect it won't solve all your problems, but see if its any better than your first try.

Best!

M