Author Topic: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support  (Read 147662 times)

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2022, 10:11:37 am »
Hi Martin and Mark,

I am a little bit disappointed. What you are doing is not the way to go. The "PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected)" and the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" are controllers not yet tested at all. Remember the method we used in the past. You need to follow the step by step approach as outlined in the "testing.txt" files that are part of the package. For the huskee device that procedure starts as follows:

Code: [Select]
Installation Instructions - Part A
==================================

A1. Ensure that USBECD.SYS has been installed.

A2. Put the following line in your CONFIG.SYS file:
(Use the proper drive and directory for your system).

DEVICE=H:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:0C12:0005:0001 /N:$HUSKEE$ /V

A3. Reboot your system.

A4. Run OINPUT.CMD and watch gamepad events in hexadecimal format.
Use Ctrl+C to end this procedure.

Once this is working I would like you to do the following:
---------------------------------------------------------

A5. Run OINPUT.CMD > BUTTON.LOG and press available buttons
(one at a time, after each other, and tell me which ones)

A6. Run OINPUT>CMD > STICK.LOG and press stick to different positions
(one at a time, after each other, and tell me what positions)

Send me files BUTTON.LOG and STICK.LOG for me to inspect.
--------------------------------------------------------

Since you are preparing oinput.cmd yourself for these new devices, you have to prepare the corresponding testing.text accordingly. It is waste of time and effort to skip these steps.

I am currently investigating what needs to be done to provoke the "PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected)" to send event records so step A4. can be completed succesfully.

I understand that for the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" step A4. has been completed successfully. Why not append some of that output for me to inspect?

Best regards, Wim.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #301 on: June 15, 2022, 02:15:08 pm »
Hi Wim

Thanks for posting the instructions again and keep us on the right track. I will follow that procedure for the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" and post back.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 15, 2022, 05:53:15 pm »
Hi Wim!

Hope you are having a fine day!

Hi Martin and Mark,

I am a little bit disappointed. What you are doing is not the way to go. The "PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected)" and the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" are controllers not yet tested at all. Remember the method we used in the past. You need to follow the step by step approach as outlined in the "testing.txt" files that are part of the package. For the huskee device that procedure starts as follows:

Code: [Select]
Installation Instructions - Part A
==================================

A1. Ensure that USBECD.SYS has been installed.

A2. Put the following line in your CONFIG.SYS file:
(Use the proper drive and directory for your system).

DEVICE=H:\OS2\BOOT\USBECD.SYS /D:0C12:0005:0001 /N:$HUSKEE$ /V

A3. Reboot your system.

A4. Run OINPUT.CMD and watch gamepad events in hexadecimal format.

Once this is working I would like you to do the following:
---------------------------------------------------------

A5. Run OINPUT.CMD > BUTTON.LOG and press available buttons
(one at a time, after each other, and tell me which ones)

A6. Run OINPUT>CMD > STICK.LOG and press stick to different positions
(one at a time, after each other, and tell me what positions)

Send me files BUTTON.LOG and STICK.LOG for me to inspect.
--------------------------------------------------------

Since you are preparing oinput.cmd yourself for these new devices, you have to prepare the corresponding testing.text accordingly. It is waste of time and effort to skip these steps.

I am currently investigating what needs to be done to provoke the "PlayStation 3 controller (USB Connected)" to send event records so step A4. can be completed succesfully.

I understand that for the "Genius MaxFighter F-31U Vibration" step A4. has been completed successfully. Why not append some of that output for me to inspect?

Best regards, Wim.

I deeply apologize as well if you feel we are jumping the gun, Wim as I consider you a friend and as that was not my intention. I am probably more to blame than Martin in this.

However, here is a perspective for consideration - as this testing is being done in a public forum, there is a lot of interest being generated, and a lot of people are watching what is happening. Since publishing the Testing Guide I have received private e-mails from others wondering if they can participate, as they feel we are actually carrying on a private conversation between ourselves, in public, and they are simply watching.

As we are also releasing the gamepad-xxxxxxxx,zip files in public, they are wanting to try these drivers for themselves and are looking for a path to do so. IOW there are a lot of potential testers out there that can help - but we need to enable them to do so.

Since the original gamepad package was released, the additional packages have not contained the original sub folders, for the equipment we started with (ie. Marttins and mine), which were actually the items that contained the testing instructions. If we want to keep this more structured, and possibly generate more data from others and their game controllers, I would propose the following:

1) Can we create a new gamepad package, with the most current drivers, and two folders - simply gamepad, and joystick, if the instructions need to be different for the two, and Include the necessary files in each to stay to the structure you specified. They should simply contain the files necessary to test the device, and generate the necessary information for you, to be posted here.

2) I will modify the Testing Guide to stay strictly to the program you specify there in testing.txt, plus the additional information that will allow them to test game controller function once an xevents file is created, that either we or they can test. I would also suggest adding some information on generating lsusb reports, and how to do that to the guide as well.

I will send the draft version of the guide to you privately first, so you can approve the testing info in it, so we can run these tests properly.

The only problem I foresee with that, Wim, is that you may be literally inundated with data from all sides, and it may overwhelm in that sense. You have already done a lot for this project, and being overwhelmed is the last thing we want, because, strangely you also have a life.

Best as always, Sir

M

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:03:41 pm by Mark Szkolnicki »
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 15, 2022, 07:48:47 pm »
Heh Dave!

110 mm of rain so far in the last two days - more to come

Hi Mark, when I first started using OS/2, Warp v3, it was on a 4MB 386/33. At first just as a drop in replacement for DOS, then slowly migrating to OS/2 programs like WebExplorer. Had to be very careful in tuning and not use the WPS for it to be usable. That readme would have been very pertinent at the time. Even when I upgraded to 8MBs and swapped the CPU for a 486DLC.
Now here we are, so much memory that most is used as a ramdisk and still worried about the browser using all the memory :)

My first computer was the third IBM PC in Winnipeg (the original PC, not PC-XT).

It was an 8088 CPU, no 8087 co-processor installed, came with two full height 5.25" 360K floppy drives  (the full height brick size hard drive was too expensive for my meager budget of the time - and its full capacity, if I bought one was a whopping 10 Mb).

I think on-board memory was either 64K or 128 K, with a Hercules monochrome graphics card and screen, no sound other than the built-in PC speaker.

Strangely you were still able to do a lot on it command line wise - I learned DOS, and my first word processor was Volkswriter, which did not have bells and whistles but still worked well. Learned Windows starting with v3, as I learned I could add new components to the box and upgrade it (remember AST memory cards, and the absolutely state of the art 10 Mb Hardcard hard drive, which plugged into the motherboard bus, like other add on cards?).

Still have that box, but most items in a disassembled state - got rid of the full height floppys, but wish I had kept them - was hoping to reassemble that box someday, but probably will just get rid of it to make space ............

I jumped up to a 386/66 next, where I installed OS/2 for the first time - v2.0 (missed v1.3), then v2.11, Warp 3, Warp 4 (added all the fixpacks, which came on the new 1.44 Mb 3.5" disks - sometimes 16 or so of them), then on to eCS and now ArcaOS,

Along the way I learned how to build computers from components, setup and run a network, connect first with a 28 K modem, then 56 K (remember Compuserve and Golden Compass for OS/2?) then on to ADSL, Satellite and where we are today.

So about 25 or so Desktops, Towers and portables later here I am - still a hardware geek, but one that has covered the entire history of the PC line, IBM or otherwise.

So yes, its amazing that we marvel at 94 Mb being small, given where we've come from ............

M

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2022, 05:26:06 pm »
Hi Mark,

The only problem I foresee with that, Wim, is that you may be literally inundated with data from all sides, and it may overwhelm in that sense. You have already done a lot for this project, and being overwhelmed is the last thing we want, because, strangely you also have a life.

Thank you Mark, for your compassion. Right now I am already grinding to a standstill. This is all too much for me to handle. In light of my health I have to let go.

Will send you an email soon.

Best regards, Wim.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2022, 04:02:07 am »
Thanks Wim, for your contribution to this.

Hi Mark,

Thank you Mark, for your compassion. Right now I am already grinding to a standstill. This is all too much for me to handle. In light of my health I have to let go.

Will send you an email soon.

Best regards, Wim.

You've been nothing other than gracious, in both your time, and interest in this small little project, as well as the advances you have contributed to in all areas, including this, based on your technical knowledge.

The least we can all do is say - Thank-you!

We will muddle on, as always, Sir, like the rest of humanity,

Rest, Warrior and Best, as always - will email soon as well!

M

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2022, 11:10:30 pm »
Hi

I'm going to Warpstock this year and I will try to show a demo about running some games with an USB Gamepad.

I want to show:
- A native old OS/2 game running with joystick (thinking it is a gameport joystick)
- A DOS VDM game running with joystick
- A DOS game under DOSBox

But I was wondering if some of SDL ported game had somekind of joystick support that also works with Wim's driver.

Is there any of the newer SDL ported games that you have tested that have USB gamepad support that works?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2022, 01:48:57 am »
Hi Martin!

Hi

I'm going to Warpstock this year and I will try to show a demo about running some games with an USB Gamepad.

I want to show:
- A native old OS/2 game running with joystick (thinking it is a gameport joystick)
- A DOS VDM game running with joystick
- A DOS game under DOSBox

But I was wondering if some of SDL ported game had somekind of joystick support that also works with Wim's driver.

Is there any of the newer SDL ported games that you have tested that have USB gamepad support that works?

Regards

I'm not aware of any, after conversations with Wim in the Spring - but I thought Joachim had said DosBox itself IS an SDL port.

The trouble is that I can't think of an SDL game to test that does use Joystick support (most of the SDL games I have are rather simple in nature.

Let me know privately if there is any games you want to use specifically - in my last version of the Game Controller guide I did outline games that I did test under both.

One of my plans for Fall / Winter has been to see if we can resurrect this particular project - but I think as you and I were the only testers using essentially custom builds, I would like to chat and see where you think things should go next.

I was thinking this fall of spending some time learning REXX programming - but Rome is not built in a day.

I haven't spoke to Wim in about two months, via e-mail - perhaps I should send out a fall greeting and update.

Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2022, 03:52:09 am »
Rocks'n'Diamonds is one that I used to play with a Joypad. Haven't tested it with the updated SDL2, at that, has the updated SDL2 that supports Joysticks been released?

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2022, 04:25:52 am »
Heh Again Dave

Rocks'n'Diamonds is one that I used to play with a Joypad. Haven't tested it with the updated SDL2, at that, has the updated SDL2 that supports Joysticks been released?

I was going to ask you the same question - as mentioned, I want to get back to this, hopefully within a month. I think updated libraries have been released, but don't know about the entire SDL/2

There really is two paths forward on this project at the moment:

1) Continue to play around with Wim's driver support and REXX based files addressing his driver, to see if we can get more input on game controllers from other individuals

2) Enable the updated SDL/2 support, if available, and get drivers working from that angle.

When I did that last game controller guide, I had wanted to see if anyone else could use either of the xevents.cmd files Wim had customized for my two joysticks for their equipment, but didn't hear anything back. Examining the REXX command files, there are large blocks that are essentially the same for Martins and my files - I have been identifying the parts that are different, and trying to see if they can be modified for use with other equipment - put that aside in May, with all the summer work - now that fall is buttoned up and Christmas Lights up will have more time to get back to pondering and Best!

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2022, 05:03:07 am »
Ideally, the header that Wim was reading could be parsed and most any joystick should correctly work. Unluckily I don't have the skills.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2022, 05:10:40 pm »
Heh Dave!

Do we have an SDL version for ArcaOS? Haven't checked the archive Martin has created yet.

M

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2022, 05:44:28 pm »
Heh Dave!

Do we have an SDL version for ArcaOS? Haven't checked the archive Martin has created yet.

M

There's an older version on Hobbes and I  have a newer one locally. I'll see about building the latest and packaging it this evening or tomorrow.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2022, 03:21:01 am »
Hmm, if I build Rock'n'Diamonds with -Dno_joystick, it works fine. If I build without the define, it doesn't see my joypad, acts weird after trying to configure the joypad, like the up arrow key is pressed, and crashes when exiting. The resulting trp file is uninformative.
I'm also not quite sure how the packaging is supposed to work so I think I manually packaged it.
Here is the full game built with -Dno_joystick along with rocksndiamonds.exe built with joystick support for you to test. Just swap the binary.
Also sdl2_mixer doesn't have mod support so some warnings from that and no music. Needs sdl2_net as well. Only lightly tested
Edit:Fixed attachments

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2022, 03:39:33 am »
Hi Dave!

Hmm, if I build Rock'n'Diamonds with -Dno_joystick, it works fine. If I build without the define, it doesn't see my joypad, acts weird after trying to configure the joypad, like the up arrow key is pressed, and crashes when exiting. The resulting trp file is uninformative.
I'm also not quite sure how the packaging is supposed to work so I think I manually packaged it.
Here is the full game built with -Dno_joystick along with rocksndiamonds.exe built with joystick support for you to test. Just swap the binary.
Also sdl2_mixer doesn't have mod support so some warnings from that and no music. Needs sdl2_net as well. Only lightly tested
Edit:Fixed attachments

Will try it tomorrow - was out today and Oilers hockey game is on tonight against St. Lo

M