Author Topic: GSView and Ghostscript - printing, how?  (Read 2574 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
GSView and Ghostscript - printing, how?
« on: February 02, 2022, 03:24:14 pm »
We've got a separate discussion (Programming forum => https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2985.msg33707/boardseen.html) on the challenge I've encountered attempting to use GS 9.18 to faciliate printing with GSView.

As I researched this further, and discovered that perhaps some of the printing functionality is a little off in this release (as compared to earlier ones) that made me wonder about how the rest of you are printing documents that may utilize GS for rendering.

Specifically, and most often I suspect, that would apply to PDFs.

In my case, I can use Lucide to print PDFs. Occasionally I run into an issue though and the print job produces an error on the printer itself (the root cause is unknown to me, but it's some kind of a PS stack overflow and my prior investigation suggested this may be a printer driver issue, which as we all know simply isn't going to get fixed, so case closed).

In such cases, I would most often rely on GSView to handle the printing task, and that has been working quite fine with GS9.04, but we are at 9.18 now and GSView with GS9.04 started to show it's age (various rendering errors would show up here and there), and much slower than GS9.18.

Therefore, I am curious how you print from GSView with whatever version of GS?

With GS9.04 I use the 'pswrite' Device and have the 'PostScript Printer' check box marked given that my Brother HL-5470DW is a PS printer.

With GS9.18 I tried using 'ps2write' Device since 'pswrite' has been obsoleted, but the '\\spool\printer_name\' printer identifier no longer appears to print in GS9.18.

Thanks!

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: GSView and Ghostscript - printing, how?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 05:21:43 pm »
I'm using GS9.04, device djet500, PostScript Printer checked. The printer is a HP M477fdw.