Author Topic: xWorplace - xCenter issue(s)  (Read 12522 times)

Doug Clark

• View Profile
xWorplace - xCenter issue(s)
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:00:44 pm »
New installation of AOS 5.0.6

Installed xWorkPlace 1.0.13 which I got from Netlabs. The Add Widget option on the xCenter popup menu is missing.  Which I was using to add the Removable Media Widget.

So a couple of questions:

1) Where are the removable widget files on the AOS installation media located and/or how do you install? 

I asked this question on a different topic previously and the suggestion (thank you Andreas Schnellbacher) was to take RemMedia.dll, etc. from another AOS machine.  Which I did at that time, but I don't remember how they originally got on the source machine.  (For this installation I copied them from the other machine to c:\sys\apps\xwps\plugins\xcenter and used the xCenter Create Widget option - then tried to use the Add Widget menu option)

2)  The Netlabs page for xWorplace says "Rich [Walsh] compiles special versions for ArcaOS and the current official version"   Are those "special versions" just  eWorkplace, or is there an AOS specific version of xWorkplace?

Thanks

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: xWorplace - xCenter issue(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:31:18 pm »
Hi Doug
1) Where are the removable widget files on the AOS installation media located and/or how do you install? 

I asked this question on a different topic previously and the suggestion (thank you Andreas Schnellbacher) was to take RemMedia.dll, etc. from another AOS machine.  Which I did at that time, but I don't remember how they originally got on the source machine.  (For this installation I copied them from the other machine to c:\sys\apps\xwps\plugins\xcenter and used the xCenter Create Widget option - then tried to use the Add Widget menu option)
Isn't your picture showing the "Create New Widget" option? or am I missing some something?
Is the "AN Removable Media Monitor" not showing there?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:44:54 pm »
Hi Doug.
2)  The Netlabs page for xWorplace says "Rich [Walsh] compiles special versions for ArcaOS and the current official version"   Are those "special versions" just  eWorkplace, or is there an AOS specific version of xWorkplace?
For what I know, the "special version" is mostly the xWorkplace lite version with the ArcaOS logo, not sure if there is something else included. But if Rick is around he is more than welcome to answer that.

I also took my ArcaOS 5.0.6 test VM and installed "xwp-1-0-13-full-en.exe" over it.
There are some files that changes, here are the list of some.
Code: [Select]
treesize.exe  (existing 02/25/2020 - 134,847 bytes, new  01/13/2020 - 136,321 bytes)
xfix.exe (existing 02/25/2020 - 166,607 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 168,401 bytes)
xfldr.dll (existing 02/25/2020 - 932,395 butes, new 01/13/2020 - 1,022,030 bytes)
xfldr.sym (existing 02/25/2020 - 39,508 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 44,660 bytes)
xwpdaemn.exe (existing 02/25/2020 - 150,103 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 153,278 bytes)
xwpdaemn.sym (existing 02/25/2020 - 6,004 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 6,100 bytes)
xwphook.dll (existing 02/25/2020 - 31,911 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 33,569 bytes)
xwphook.sym (existing 02/25/2020 - 1,988 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 2,132 bytes)
xwpres.dll (existing 02/25/2020 - 76,817 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 113,889 bytes)
freshini.cmd (existing 02/25/2020 - 7,155 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 4,233 bytes)
xfldr001.dll (existing 02/25/2020 - 51,489 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 54,183 bytes)
xfldr001.hlp (existing 02/25/2020 - 457,088 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 552,095 bytes)
xfldr001.tmf (existing 02/25/2020 - 27,760 bytes, new 01/13/2020 - 69,509 bytes)
Maybe this is only the size difference between the lite and full version of xworkplace.

I overwritten every file the ones on the installer. I rebooted and the "AN Removable Media Monitor" was still on the xcenter.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:47:59 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 07:47:20 pm »
Installed xWorkPlace 1.0.13 which I got from Netlabs.

Why? XWP is part of ArcaOS, and the ArcaOS version contains a few things that the Netlabs version does not have (like REMM, which may still be there from the ArcaOS install). What else have you back leveled from the ArcaOS install?

On the install DVD: \CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\ANXWP_EN.WPI

Just double click it, to install, and be sure to  allow, or replace, anything that it asks about.

It is a reworked build (lots of fixes). The fixes have been put to Netlabs, but not all widgets have been put there.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 07:53:55 pm »
To 2) Yes, there exist special versions for ArcaOS. They contain the AN removable media monitor widget files.

To 1) For ArcaOS 5.0.6: \CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\ANXWP_EN.WPI
The files are:
plugins\xcenter\RemMedia.dll
plugins\xcenter\RemM_en.ms1 (rename to .msg if not already)
plugins\xcenter\RemMedia.xqs (optional, for bug report only)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 08:16:06 pm »
Installed xWorkPlace 1.0.13 which I got from Netlabs. The Add Widget option on the xCenter popup menu is missing.
Quite unlikely. For older XWP versions you have to catch an edge of the xCenter to get the correct context menu (xCenter's instead of a widget's). Rich has changed that, in 1.0.13 or earlier. Since then the 'Create new widget' menu item is also present in a widget's context menu, below 'Delete widget'.

If 'AN Removable Media Monitor' is not available in the 'Create new widget' submenu, then it's not installed (the DLL wasn't found). If it's grayed out, then it's already installed. Some widgets can only be installed once per xCenter. The installed ones can also be viewed in XCenter's properties dialog, tab 'Widgets'. To complete that: XCenter's WPS setup string can be altered by an XWP 'Setup string' object. That's also useful for save and restore.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 12:00:28 am »
@Martin - It is a two step process to add a widget.. First you must select "Create a Widget" on the popup menu - and select the widget you want to "create" from the list.  Then you have to add the widget using the "Add Widget to Tray" option on the popup menu.  For versions 1.0.13 and 1.0.12 the "Add Widget to Tray" option is missing from the popup menu.  The first attachment (popupmen.jpg) shows the popup menu for v 1.0.13 (and for v 1.0.12)

@Andreas - The "Add Widget to Tray" option is clearly missing from the popup menu.  You can see two lines in the menu where the option is supposed to be - but no option.  If you compare the first attachment with the second you can see where the option is supposed to appear in the menu.

It does appear that "Create a Widget" has been added to more menus (or more contexts where it shows up on the menu) which is very nice.  That appears to have happened, as you point out, after version 11.  Previously it was a pain to try and point to the right area on the xCenter to get a menu with that option.

@Me (And Doug B.)  Yes there is  a difference between xWorkplace and the xWorkplace in AOS.  Thanks Doug B. (and others) for pointing out where that package is located.  I installed  \CID\SERVER\ARCAPKG\ANXWP_EN.WPI  from the AOS v 5.0.6 distribution and got the Removable Media widget (already installed) on xCenter.

But the AOS version of xWorkPlace is not the same as the "full" version of xWorkPlace - and possibly not the same as xWorkPlace lite (although I didn't install xwps lite to compare).  The AOS version is missing turbo folders with the different way of associating files to program objects - for one example.  I am not saying the AOS version is bad - it isn't.  It is just missing some features that I want.

The AOS version of xWorkPlace reports being version 1.0.13.1  - so it is a later version than what is available as "full" xWorkPlace.

The way I fixed my problem was:
1) deinstall xwps 13
2) install aos xwps from the distro (I had to uninstall xwps v 1.0.13) to get this to work
3) copy the  RemMedia.* and RemM_*.* stuff from c:\sys\apps\xwpd\plugins\xcenter  to a temporary location
4) deinstall aos xwps
5) install xwps version 1.0.11.  The Add Widget option is missing from the popup menu of v 1.0.12 also)
6) copy the removable media files from the temporary directory back to the xcenter directory.
7) install the removable media widget:  Create Widget and then Add Widget - making sure to close xCenter before each step
8) install xwps v 1.0.13
Whew

The conclusion is at this point in time there is no easy way for AOS customers who want to run the lastest version of full xWorkPlace to get the removable media widget installed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 12:04:12 am by Doug Clark »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:56:42 am »
The "Add Widget to Tray" option is clearly missing from the popup menu.  You can see two lines in the menu where the option is supposed to be - but no option.
Yes the screenshots and the full term make that clear. BTW: That's not XCenter's context menu, but the tray's. Looks like a bug to me. I usually don't use the tray much, because I've two XCenters. BTW: Not all widgets can be placed in a tray.

The conclusion is at this point in time there is no easy way for AOS customers who want to run the lastest version of full xWorkPlace to get the removable media widget installed.
It seems to be much easier to me to extract the files from ANXWP_EN.WPI and copy them to the plugins\xcenter dir.

In such a case I run: wic <wpifullfilename> -x in the newly created dir <wpiname>. That unpacks all files, except the script file.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:15:16 am »
@Martin - It is a two step process to add a widget.. First you must select "Create a Widget" on the popup menu - and select the widget you want to "create" from the list.  Then you have to add the widget using the "Add Widget to Tray" option on the popup menu.  For versions 1.0.13 and 1.0.12 the "Add Widget to Tray" option is missing from the popup menu.  The first attachment (popupmen.jpg) shows the popup menu for v 1.0.13 (and for v 1.0.12)

This false. If you want to add the widget to a TRAY, you need to do it with the TRAY widget. Personally, i remove the TRAY widget because I really don't want a two step process. Just add the widget, and it goes in the XCenter.

But the AOS version of xWorkPlace is not the same as the "full" version of xWorkPlace - and possibly not the same as xWorkPlace lite (although I didn't install xwps lite to compare).  The AOS version is missing turbo folders with the different way of associating files to program objects - for one example.  I am not saying the AOS version is bad - it isn't.  It is just missing some features that I want.

Actually, you really do not want those extra features. They were omitted from the AN version because they are known to cause problems. The lite version is pretty well identical to the AN version, but doesn't contain  the extra widgits.

As I said, the "full version" of XWorkplace contains a few features that can cause problems. I was using it on one system, but the latest ANXWP has all of the features that I need, so I quit using the full version.

What do you think you need from the full version? I don't find anything in the full version that is useful, that isn't in the AN version.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 11:09:01 am »
Isn't that enough explanation about the differences - ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xworkplace/xwp-1-0-13_unofficial_AB.txt ?

XWorkplace unofficial versions by AB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author:          Andreas Buchinger
Last update:     20210612

This version is build from official netlabs svn repository with the following
changes -

1) Power off/shutdown delay (apm.c) is set to 250ms in official builds. This
time is known to be too short for some systems. One of my system sporadically
does not fully switch off with this setting. 500ms works most of the time but it
needs 700ms to shut down reliable. My XWP builds defaults to 700ms. But you can
configure your own value by setting XWP_SHUTDOWN_DELAY environment variable.
F.i. adding 'SET XWP_SHUTDOWN_DELAY=1500' in config.sys increases the delay to
1500ms. Values from 250 to 3100 are allowed. Check setting 'Write XSHUTDWN.LOG
file' (Desktop - Properties - XShutdown) and an entry will be created for that
in this file in your %LOG% directory.

2) My XWP builds still uses the standard shutdown dialog with configurable names
for reboot options.

I think a similar text is on the wiki page too. Maybe I should say it more clearly that it's build from the code base as of Juli 2021.

I usually install the package which is at ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xworkplace/ over the one which is installed with ArcaOS. And this works at least for me. Maybe Rich has some local changes which he did not check into netlabs svn. But I don't think so. At least not much of them. So his fixes are also in my unofficial version at netlabs ftp. If in the AN version Turbo Folder feature is missing I didn't know it before. One more reason for me personally to use my builds. If Dough means he has problems with some XWP features I don't see any tickets for that neither steps to replicate. Which does not mean that there could be no problems. Simply I can't reproduce it until now.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 09:45:48 pm »
Isn't that enough explanation about the differences - ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xworkplace/xwp-1-0-13_unofficial_AB.txt ?

XWorkplace unofficial versions by AB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author:          Andreas Buchinger
Last update:     20210612

This version is build from official netlabs svn repository with the following
changes -

1) Power off/shutdown delay (apm.c) is set to 250ms in official builds. This
time is known to be too short for some systems. One of my system sporadically
does not fully switch off with this setting. 500ms works most of the time but it
needs 700ms to shut down reliable. My XWP builds defaults to 700ms. But you can
configure your own value by setting XWP_SHUTDOWN_DELAY environment variable.
F.i. adding 'SET XWP_SHUTDOWN_DELAY=1500' in config.sys increases the delay to
1500ms. Values from 250 to 3100 are allowed. Check setting 'Write XSHUTDWN.LOG
file' (Desktop - Properties - XShutdown) and an entry will be created for that
in this file in your %LOG% directory.

2) My XWP builds still uses the standard shutdown dialog with configurable names
for reboot options.

I think a similar text is on the wiki page too. Maybe I should say it more clearly that it's build from the code base as of Juli 2021.

I usually install the package which is at ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/xworkplace/ over the one which is installed with ArcaOS. And this works at least for me. Maybe Rich has some local changes which he did not check into netlabs svn. But I don't think so. At least not much of them. So his fixes are also in my unofficial version at netlabs ftp. If in the AN version Turbo Folder feature is missing I didn't know it before. One more reason for me personally to use my builds. If Dough means he has problems with some XWP features I don't see any tickets for that neither steps to replicate. Which does not mean that there could be no problems. Simply I can't reproduce it until now.

Hallo Andreas,

ich möchte Dir auf diesem Wege einmal vielen Dank für Deine Mühen sagen, ich nutze ebenfalls Deine Version.
Laß Dich nicht beirren :-)

Sorry for using my mothertongue

Sigurd
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:50:59 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 09:12:57 am »
I use Andi's version as well, solely because of the changed shutdown delay. I don't have Turbo Folders activated. Ulrich's bug tracker is not available anymore, but there are some bugs with it.

Actually, you really do not want those extra features.
Good to have someone who knows what people have to want. ;-)

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 05:11:07 pm »
Hi !

I just corrected a ssd disk issue (limited size elligible and available under OS/2) which had corrected LBA following a disk cloning from a HDD to SSD.
Now, full SSD disk size is correctly reported and I could create partitions as usual.

Of course, all these action made me lost original MDR, I had to xcopy all files from my previous partitions and run iSYSINSTX.COM as well re-install jfs loader (mbr). Now, all works well again and disk has no reported error under lvm.

Next, I reinstalled latest aiboot and it work but I lost something I had before under xcenter power down option.
Before, I had reboot selectable option with airboot as available choice. Now, there's no available option ?
Any idea why this option is no more available ?

Thanks
Rémy       

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 01:43:22 am »
Look in the XWorkplace folder.

Click on the Xworkplace Setup icon.

Select the Features tab.

Click on the Startup /Shutdown features.

Make sure the Enable Extended Shutdown is checked.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 07:07:06 am »
Any idea why this option is no more available
Ini corruption.