Author Topic: xWorplace - xCenter issue(s)  (Read 13790 times)

Remy

• View Profile
Re: xWorplace - xCenter issue(s)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 01:38:43 pm »
Look in the XWorkplace folder.

Click on the Xworkplace Setup icon.

Select the Features tab.

Click on the Startup /Shutdown features.

Make sure the Enable Extended Shutdown is checked.

No XWorkplace folder It is AN version
Didn't find corresponding in entries. Where is it and which value should it have please ?
Thanks

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 04:09:09 pm »
OS2.INI -> XWorkplace -> XShutdown = 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 05:22:09 pm »
OS2.INI -> XWorkplace -> XShutdown = 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00

I currently have x'00400701' chars value  '.@..'

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 06:57:13 pm »
I myself install always XWP over ANXWP, even when that's not really required anymore nowadays. Additionally its defaults are that what I set - except the shutdown delay time of course, which depends on the hardware.

Your key value looks odd. I would either restore an archive or reinstall. With luck the replacement of the ini files suffices. It's easy to test this with ifx: Hold down one of the Sh keys during ifx processing. A menu appears. Probably the 3 generations that it keeps are overwritten since long. But hopefully you've created a copy of your boot volume. when or before the problem occurred.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 11:12:36 pm »
I myself install always XWP over ANXWP, even when that's not really required anymore nowadays. Additionally its defaults are that what I set - except the shutdown delay time of course, which depends on the hardware.

Your key value looks odd. I would either restore an archive or reinstall. With luck the replacement of the ini files suffices. It's easy to test this with ifx: Hold down one of the Sh keys during ifx processing. A menu appears. Probably the 3 generations that it keeps are overwritten since long. But hopefully you've created a copy of your boot volume. when or before the problem occurred.

Hum, I did a mistake and checked the wrong key.
I have  x'01000000' as you have but I do not have the airboot option for reboot as I had before...

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2022, 02:33:20 pm »

Hum, I did a mistake and checked the wrong key.
I have  x'01000000' as you have but I do not have the airboot option for reboot as I had before...

I just get Gparted and checked my ssd  (partition where created under LVM)
Gparted report me that all partitions are unaligned !  (it looks that alignment is done according HDD [63k] but not for SSD [64k], unaligned partition may detroy quickly SSD due to more write operations)

This unaligned partition is not detected under dfsee nor is it able to correct miss-aligned partition for SSD (while ok for HDD)

I'm now trying to re-align my partition using Gpart from under linux if it will correctly work. Of course, I did a partition image first and check xcenter reboot function options again. 

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2022, 06:50:50 pm »
From X:\sys\doc\AHCI\Readme.txt under Port-specific Options,
/4                    Force track size to be 56 sectors regardless of the
                      reported disk geometry to optimize partition boundaries
                      for hard disks with 4096 byte sectors.

Should work for SSD.
BTW gparted has an option for CHS partitions

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »
From X:\sys\doc\AHCI\Readme.txt under Port-specific Options,
/4                    Force track size to be 56 sectors regardless of the
                      reported disk geometry to optimize partition boundaries
                      for hard disks with 4096 byte sectors.

Should work for SSD.
BTW gparted has an option for CHS partitions

I don't know, I'll check about this parm
SSD unaligned partition can't be mounted under linux and of course, can't be fstrimed
On, my SSD, I have 4 partition and the last one is a windows one (ntfs)
Gparted could align the ntfs partition but when trying to align the previous one, it faileddespite have space after to move it and allow alignment (hope not impacting too much my ssd !)
I found dfsee having an option to move the partition using CYL or MiB !
msinfo32 under windows is interesting giving the start offset (bytes) and as soon this one is an exact multiple of 4096, partition should be aligned...   ::) :-\

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 05:36:09 pm »
After SSD partition rebuild all is ok and the airbot option is back again.

Resume: Disk was unaligned but workd under ArcaOS (unaligne due to a wrong clonning operation)
After partition alignment and able to use my full 1TB, the number of sectors was set to 127 instead the more usual 63 value.
Aiboot responded with installed but in fact, it didn't install it on my current new disk but on the windows disk in my desktop (M.2 on mainboard) and havin the airboot menu at start made me think it was ok... but realy wasn't.

Not having the airboot option available was normal because the airboot wasn't physivally installed into this disk.
I saw after reboot following a remove of unnecessary disk, airboot install responsding number of sector not eqaul to 63 !
(number of sector is normaly not a restriction but for airboot, it is).

After several corrections and finaly got it working with a sector number set to 63, airboot was correctly installed on this disk (checked with dfsee) and now, the option reboot from [airboot] is available again (nothing to do with OS or xcenter install upgrade)

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 06:12:35 pm »
Good to here that it works now. Interesting, thanks for the detailed info.

I guess you've used DFSee for cloning?

Ok, you've written that you've used DFSee in the other thread.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 06:18:31 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2022, 05:07:50 am »
Good to here that it works now. Interesting, thanks for the detailed info.

I guess you've used DFSee for cloning?

Ok, you've written that you've used DFSee in the other thread.

In fact, my partition aren't aligned - I used an other calculator but I didn't care this one was rounding results making me think partition are aligned (what realy corrected is the 63 sector required to install airboot and the fact that it didn't install airboot on the right disk)

Dfsee allow you to specify starting offset. About the field under DFSEE to set an offset at partition creation, it finaly trouble me because I read it is in MiB but after check, it added 1 cylinder ! (no good - may be I forgot to read something, if it was 1MiB then it would be nice but with 1 cyl, no interest)

I did not find how to align partition for SSD under dfsee... except to calculate all CHS, offset and partition by hand and update partition table... Very easy to make a mistake
The problem is that as soon partition are aligned, LVM information update make the disk unusable because it reduces the size to 32 sector (good to respect alignment but odd for the SSDdisk size) and than, the total disk size is reduced to a maximum of 64k cynlinders (drop from 1TB to below 70 GiB ! with my 2 first partitions left aligned 40GiB + 4GiB an,d the next unavailable to format because it is considered above maximum size)

AHCI has a 56 sectors option for alignment but this makes a small disk size too due to the 64k cyl limitation and a max head of 255. The other option would be to use higher sector size e.g. 1024 or 2048 or better when aligned 4096 (4k) but this will prevent use of airboot (63s only)