OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

Updated RPMs - big release chunk...

(1/3) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Hi Everyone!

I noticed a number of updated RPMs out there. Specifically what surprised me were all the NSPR, NSS and the libc, libx, libicu and libkai ones.

For those of you who may have tried the netlabs-exp test releases a while back, there were numerous problems that were identified. The biggest issue at that time was that these updates pretty much made our FF unusable.

I was one of the folks to test at that time and went through a fairly messy rollback process.

Sooo...while I'm excited to see the updates having gone to netlabs-rel, I am a little leery of installing. Therefore, I'm curious if anyone has already pushed that UPGRADE button yet and what has your experience been like so far?

Dave Yeo:
I recently ran Netlabs-exp for a week straight, the Mozilla apps were stable. Perhaps a libc upgrade or such fixed things.
There is always the option of putting the older DLLs in Firefox etc directory so they get picked up.
Note also this update also updates some certificates (actually I think it fixes using the installed ones) such as letsencrypt's
As for these updates, you need to first update os2-base, which will make sure your platform is Pentium 4, then install dbus-libs for QT5. Then the rest should install.

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote --- Therefore, I'm curious if anyone has already pushed that UPGRADE button yet and what has your experience been like so far?
--- End quote ---

It appears that the switch from i686 to Pentium4 is causing some problems. I haven't investigated enough to be able to describe the problems, but it looks like it is trying to update some i686 packages with the Pentium4 packages, and it decides that there is a conflict. I expect that it will take some time to sort it out.

One odd thing, is that AOO 4.1.8, on my main machine, starts up, but as soon as it displays the contents, of whatever I open, it crashes. On two other machines, it is not crashing. I haven't had the time to try to determine what is going on, but it looks like I will have to restore the old setup, so I can get some work done. Fortunately, I have recent backups.

BWW has got a problem, where they assume that no trouble reports from people who try the experimental stuff, means that there is no problem with them. More likely, nobody is actually trying to use that stuff until it gets moved to the release repository.

Those who are looking for something useful to do, should look at doing some serious testing with stuff that shows up in the experimental repository, and report problems, before we end up with a mess.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on October 11, 2021, 11:08:36 pm ---Hi Everyone!

I noticed a number of updated RPMs out there. Specifically what surprised me were all the NSPR, NSS and the libc, libx, libicu and libkai ones.

For those of you who may have tried the netlabs-exp test releases a while back, there were numerous problems that were identified. The biggest issue at that time was that these updates pretty much made our FF unusable.

I was one of the folks to test at that time and went through a fairly messy rollback process.

Sooo...while I'm excited to see the updates having gone to netlabs-rel, I am a little leery of installing. Therefore, I'm curious if anyone has already pushed that UPGRADE button yet and what has your experience been like so far?

--- End quote ---

If you say something is unstable, you know the drill... :-) Please include some information, for example popuplog.os2 entries . Then we have a hint.

Thanks,

Roderick

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on October 11, 2021, 11:08:36 pm ---Hi Everyone!

--- End quote ---

A lot of these RPM's where moved by Dmitry from BWW so we can prepapre the testing of the new Otter browser by more people. If things no longer work, let me know by sending an email to roderickklein@xs4all.nl. Please mention which program does not work after updating. What version of the browser you are running for example and send any except reports or popuplog.os2 entries.

Roderick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version