Author Topic: Otter Browser  (Read 4598 times)

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Otter Browser
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:40:57 pm »
I set up Otter Browser under Ubuntu, and I was able to import my bookmarks from Firefox. So far, so good.

Where I ran into trouble, though, was that I cannot visit any secure sites. Now Otter under Ubuntu is not the same as under ArcaOS, but I think the architecture of secure web browsing should be similar. Is anyone familiar enough with running applications under Ubuntu to help me get secure web browsing to work?

Here is the error: Warning: Otter Browser. SSL support is not available or incomplete. Some websites may work incorrectly or do not work at all.

I am not familiar enough with Ubuntu to correct this.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Otter Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 01:00:38 am »
That almost sounds like a build issue. Might be some missing libs though, perhaps the readme gives a hint?
Under Ubuntu, you can use apt in similar ways to yum. "sudo apt update" to update package list, "sudo apt upgrade" to install updates, "sudo apt install foo" to install. Should also be graphical frontends available too. I haven't used Ubuntu in a while but all Debian based Linuxes work much the same. Trick is to figure out what packages Otter needs. I guess ours is going to use NSS for secure browsing so try installing NSS and NSPR4 perhaps.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 05:03:43 am »
I think Otter is not really supported on Ubuntu. It does have a setting to remember passwords, and I was able to import bookmarks. I think those were my main requirements for moving on from Firefox. I hope most of the web applications suites run, particularly iCloud.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 05:24:08 am »
You're right, it is not really supported but I installed it on Mint, a Ubuntu based distribution with this method, seems to work fine and seems pretty good. This is actually the procedure for Ubuntu
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otter-browser/release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install otter-browser

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 05:30:54 am »
Posting from Otter, one drawback is no add-ons, or rather just user JS scripts. Can turn off JavaScript globally but I'd miss No-Script though having an up to date hosts file would help.
Ok. I see it does have content blocking along with a way to import various lists.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:46 am »
I set up Otter Browser under Ubuntu, and I was able to import my bookmarks from Firefox. So far, so good.

Where I ran into trouble, though, was that I cannot visit any secure sites. Now Otter under Ubuntu is not the same as under ArcaOS, but I think the architecture of secure web browsing should be similar. Is anyone familiar enough with running applications under Ubuntu to help me get secure web browsing to work?

Here is the error: Warning: Otter Browser. SSL support is not available or incomplete. Some websites may work incorrectly or do not work at all.

I am not familiar enough with Ubuntu to correct this.

Otter on OS/2 has this. A small group of people are testing this hence the reason files moved from experimental to release. They where already tested.
SSL is working of course. We currently experience crashes of the browser. Its pretty stable so first resolving this.

If after having installed recent updates breaks Firefox or something else is not working. As I said provide details to best of your abillities.
Then we can continue to move OS/2 forward. Is that always fun to debug stuff, well its not. But if we keep everything static on OS/2 we can not move forward.

Roderick