Author Topic: Seamonkey Data Leakage  (Read 2965 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
Seamonkey Data Leakage
« on: October 15, 2021, 08:03:12 pm »
It appears that Seamonkey (and possibly FF too) is leaking form data. I don't know if this has any real-world effect but it doesn't seem safe.

In SM I selected Tools->Data Manager. This displays a page that lists domains down the left side and data for that domain on the right. The domain '*' (global data) was selected, as was the tab for form data.

The data window had hundreds of entries, including my name, address, phone numbers, and login IDs. Worse, it had two of my passwords in plain text. There was also a great deal of unknown stuff from unknown domains - along with the numbers of the last 20 bugs I looked up in AN's Mantis Bugtracker.

I signed up online for several things this week and wondered why a page I'd never seen before was pre-filling my address. Now I know. I have no problem with storing this info on a domain-by-domain basis but I don't want it stored as global data available to any page. Deleting the entry has fixed the problem for now.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Seamonkey Data Leakage
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 09:20:56 pm »
Our old Mozilla (SM, FF and TB) is full of security holes I'm sure, as well as design decisions that may allow leakage. Mozilla did go to sandboxing each tab in its own process as that seemed the only universal fix.
For now, a Master Password might help, untested. And under Preferences-->Privacy & Security-->Private Data you can set it up to clear a lot of that stuff when closing the browser.
There's also the right mouse buttons context menu when right clicking on a link "Open Link in Private Window" which I use quite often.
Edit: I'll add that at least SeaMonkey does give these options unlike Firefox.