OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

YUM default platform setting

(1/3) > >>

Martin Vieregg:
After getting problems with two ArcaOS installations, I started a new installation of ArcaOS 5.0.6. Meanwhile, installation really runs fine on my two computers. But I wonder why on the one computer, the default Arca Noae Platform setting (Manage - Platform) is "pentium4", on the other "i686". Only on the "i686" computer, OpenOffice 4.1.8 works. On the "pentium4" computer, it ends with the 2nd start screen (User Name). I did not install any other software on both systems. The main difference (besides another manufacturer of the AMD4 motherboard) is that the one which works ("i686") has got a Ryzen 2200G 4 core APU without Hyperthreading (= 4 threads), and the one where I have got the problems ("pentium4") is a Ryzen 3400G 4 core with Hyperthreading (= 8 threads), and more clock speed.

Is it possible that ArcaOS does not like Hyperthreading (sorry, I cannot turn it off on the BIOS) and switches back to the more secure "pentium4"?
Can I force i686 while installing ArcaOS ? I did not find a setting in the installation routines.

ivan:
On my Ryzen third gen motherboard (Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G processor) the only way I could get reliable working is by turning hyperthreading OFF.  I even found it caused problems on an older machine with an AMD A8-9600 processor .

I can't comment about any interaction with YUM since I tend to keep clear of it, also I use OpenOffice version 4120 from wayback - including all the required DLLs being in the 'AOO, program directory'.

Neil Waldhauer:
You have to upgrade carefully this time with yum. I'm waiting for instructions from Arca Noae or BitWise how to do it.

One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.

Dave Yeo:
Hi Martin, you will have to turn off the hyperthreading on the command line of ACPI, not the simplest thing to do as yo have to figure out which cores are real and which are fake and use a bitmask to only use the real ones. First try adding /CPUMASK=1 to the PSD line in config.sys to test with only one CPU. If OO now works on the problem system, that will tell you it is a hyperthreading problem.
The PSD documentation is under x:\sys\docs\ACPI as psd_en.pdf. See the ACPI command line section. You might have to open an issue to get help.
As for the i686 vs Pentium 4 thing, Bitwise seems to be guiding us to Pentium 4 systems to support the new browser. As Neil said, more to come.

Martin Vieregg:

--- Quote ---One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.
--- End quote ---

But on the computer working fine which shows still "i686", I did make also the same (all) upgrade steps.
There's perhaps one week time difference. Can it happen that in this week, such minor changes were made on the server?

I can also try to copy the directories

--- Code: ---usr/* var/* etc/* sys/*
--- End code ---
from the fine working installtion to the problem installation.
I hope that all information about the system drive is stored in environment variables, because the drive letters are different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version