OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

OS/2 Video Performance

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dariusz Piatkowski:
Neil!

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on October 23, 2021, 04:30:02 pm ---I think a lot of newer graphics stuff, Mozilla and QT, don't use PM for graphics. We could use a better benchmark.

--- End quote ---

Great point, exactly what I speculated above, although I am not at all concluding in one sweep that they "don't use PM for graphics", after all, a simple window, along with MIN/MAX controls is a PM window after all. If someone who knows these apps can comment further, we all would be in a better position to assess.

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on October 23, 2021, 04:30:02 pm ---...Be careful of confirmation bias; where you have a card that has better PM graphics so that must be what is important...
--- End quote ---

Umm, this is not at all the point I am trying to make. What is relevant to each one of us is the improvement we see on our systems, that of course being based on our "runtime": system settings along with the standard apps we all use. By discussing in our forum we perhaps can formulate a definition of a NEW benchmark that would allow us to measure the performance across various applications - think of a app simulation benchmark!

What might that look like?

1) PM apps
SysBench covers that with it's 'PM Graphics Marks' score

2) DIVE / SNAP / KVA
SysBench covers part of that, but we need to better understand what new testing (if any) is required to cover the remaining ones

3) QT
Ahhh...that would be the new addition, right?...and maybe we need a 'PM Graphics Marks' equivalent, call it 'QT Graphics Marks'?

4) anything else...
This will only be arrived at by establishing some kind of consesus as to what matters to all of us.

And on that very point, you started this thread with a specific assumption that SNAP would not be used, and so you arrived at some results that clearly put the 'Intel HDA Graphics' in the lead...but isn't that the VERY definition of BIAS???

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on October 23, 2021, 03:53:23 pm ---Not sure if stuff like FF for example uses DIVE or not? But at least here that's probably the most demanding applicatin (given that it's all about on-going screen updates) and from my perspective it seems like a higher 'PM Graphics Marks' value impacts this the most.

--- End quote ---

It depends, DIVE is supposed to be disabled if using Panorama and enabled if using SNAP.  I have a vague memory of things getting backwards at some point, need to look. Also perhaps Panorama has improved its handling of the shadow buffer enough that DIVE would be a good choice.
The setting for DIVE should be "Full Hardware Acceleration enabled" or similar.

Roderick Klein:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on October 23, 2021, 07:02:07 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dariusz Piatkowski on October 23, 2021, 03:53:23 pm ---Not sure if stuff like FF for example uses DIVE or not? But at least here that's probably the most demanding applicatin (given that it's all about on-going screen updates) and from my perspective it seems like a higher 'PM Graphics Marks' value impacts this the most.

--- End quote ---

It depends, DIVE is supposed to be disabled if using Panorama and enabled if using SNAP.  I have a vague memory of things getting backwards at some point, need to look. Also perhaps Panorama has improved its handling of the shadow buffer enough that DIVE would be a good choice.

--- End quote ---

DIVE is not switched off with Panorama. Its something provided by MMOS/2.

Roderick

Paul Smedley:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on October 23, 2021, 11:56:51 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The way I read Dave's comment, he's saying that within *firefox* dive is supposed to be disabled using panorama, and enabled using Snap....

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Roderick Klein on October 23, 2021, 11:56:51 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Roderick

--- End quote ---

As Paul said, the Mozilla apps turn off DIVE when they detect Panorama or in safe mode. from SeaMonkey's stdout,

--- Code: ---DIVE is disabled - Panorama's shadow-buffer is enabled

--- End code ---
the code from nsWindow.cpp,

--- Code: ---  // Don't use DIVE if the Panorama video driver is in use
  // unless its shadow buffer is turned off.
  HMODULE hmod;
  if (!DosQueryModuleHandle("PANOGREX", &hmod)) {
    char      str[8];
    if (PrfQueryProfileString(HINI_USERPROFILE, "PANORAMA", "VBEShadowBuffer",
                              0, str, sizeof(str)) && !strcmp(str, "0")) {
      sUseDive = TRUE;
      printf("Video driver is Panorama - shadow-buffer is disabled\n");
    }
    else
      printf("DIVE is disabled - Panorama's shadow-buffer is enabled\n");

return;
  }

sUseDive = TRUE;

--- End code ---

I think it was Rich who made that decision based on DIVE having crappy performance with the Panorama shadow buffer. If the shadow buffer is turned off in the Screen object, Firefox will use DIVE.
Other video drivers use DIVE but hide the pointer when writing to the framebuffer.
As said, it is also controlled by the video acceleration preference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version