OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

OS/2 Video Performance

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Sigurd Fastenrath on October 23, 2021, 12:18:07 am ---My own build Thinkpad 25/2:

PM Graphic Marks: 58.294
Dive Marks: 7336.388

--- End quote ---

That's sure slow drawing lines. Have you ever compared with running SNAP? Here SNAP is slightly faster and the individual tests are somewhat different in results. Luckily this Intel BIOS has wide screen resolutions in it.

Andi B.:
Radeon550 with Panorama. Panorama can not get integrated Intel to output 3840x2160 so I need the Radeon.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

Sysbench graphics tests was fun to watch :)

- Thinkpad L420 (7856-3WS) with Panorama v1.17.
- Graphics:Intel HD Graphics 3000 (8086:0116)

Regards

Dariusz Piatkowski:
OK, so given the results everyone has shared so far, I interpret the classifications as:

1) PM Graphics Marks => higher value directly translates to FASTER WPS/PM updates
- majority of our applications today fall into this category

2) DIVE Marks => higher value directly translatest to FASTER updates for those apps that specifically use DIVE
- possibly video playback such as VLC, SMPlayer, mplayer? (K's releases primarily use the kva output driver here, but I see that some allow the selection between 'kva snap mode' and 'kva slower dive mode' - that's directly from SMPlayer config)

Not sure if stuff like FF for example uses DIVE or not? But at least here that's probably the most demanding applicatin (given that it's all about on-going screen updates) and from my perspective it seems like a higher 'PM Graphics Marks' value impacts this the most.

Neil Waldhauer:
I think a lot of newer graphics stuff, Mozilla and QT, don't use PM for graphics. We could use a better benchmark.

Be careful of confirmation bias; where you have a card that has better PM graphics so that must be what is important. OS/2 programs are old, and I suspect that your old graphics card works just as well as newer HDA graphics, and that all that extra speed is wasted. My reason for starting this thread was to remove the obstacle of using old hardware to get good graphics performance. I wanted to make it easier for people to select a good graphics platform to run OS/2.

This is going to change again with ArcaOS 5.1, which will have some new graphics features to replace some BIOS functions that are no longer there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version