OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Applications

FAT Diskette with truncated long file name file

(1/3) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I'm using ArcaOS 5.0.6 on a Thinkpad L420. I attached an USB Floppy drive and started to read some old FAT diskettes that used to have some files with long names stored in Windows (possible Windows 98 or XP)

The filenames looks truncated (not sure which is the actual word) to 8.3.

Is there a way to see the full file name? I remember that I used to have this issue on the past but I don't know how I fixed it, or if it was fixable.

Regards

Dave Yeo:
Search Hobbes for vfat, there's a few results that I haven't tested. Perhaps kc030.zip by KOMH or vfatmon12.zip.
Post your results.

David Graser:
If you use FM/2, in the directory container chose details view from the menu selection on the top right half of the directory container.  Then go into Details Setup and select Longnames..  See attachment.  I believe the long name is stored as an ea on the fat drive.

Lars:
That will not work if the stick was written by Windows. Windows knows nothing about EAs. But it saves long names in "misused" directory entries which OS/2 knows nothing about. I suppose that the mentioned VFAT support for OS/2 is able to read these long names.

Doodle:
You might want to try the VFAT2EA tool (should be available on Hobbes).
That tries to read out the VFAT long names from the disk, and then creates OS/2-compatible .LONGNAME extended attributes from them. If it succeeds, you'll be able to see and use the long filenames from WPS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version