Author Topic: XWP v1.0.14  (Read 8634 times)

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
XWP v1.0.14
« on: November 01, 2021, 05:34:51 pm »
A new version of XWorkplace is now available in 7 languages in both Full and Lite editions. This is a maintenance release with updates and bug-fixes that have accumulated over the last year.

Due to an upload error, only the Lite versions are currently on hobbes. Once this is fixed, all versions will be found there. Until then, All versions can now be downloaded from hobbes or from the URLs below:

XWP Full de   en   es   it   ja   nl   ru

XWP Lite de   en   es   it   ja   nl   ru

Updates
  • XShutdown
    • Power-off options have been simplified. The ACPI/APM shutdown option has been removed since the system always uses ACPI if it is available.
    • The shutdown sound which failed to play in Lite versions has now been restored.
    • The XShutdown dialog has been updated to suppress the list of BIOS-bootable partitions when booted in UEFI mode. It should also do a better job of handling situations where the data it collects from AirBoot is corrupt.

• Folder Refresh
    This feature has been completely rewritten to ensure that every filesystem update is reflected in the display within 1.5 seconds. The rewrite also fixes a bug where the code might try to delete a file that had been deleted then recreated.

• Russian NLS
    Initial Russian language support has been provided by Yurii Zamotailo.

• XPager
    You can now enable Windows keys to switch Desktops without having to enable arrow keys as well.

• Menus
    Separators between menu items might be missing or doubled at times. Many of these inconsistencies have been fixed.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 04:43:21 pm by Rich Walsh »

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Re: XWP v1.0.14
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 07:46:33 pm »
Thanks Rich for doing this!

I'm curious: any plans to enable the Xview to show DRIVE object SHADOWs in the left-hand-side TREE view pane? (I'm guessing this may be called the ICON view?)

I'm asking b/c no no such objects have every shown up in any of my Xview folders, although they do show up as an actual OBJECT in the Details pane, which is a bit counter-intuitive, since the whole point of having a drive shadow is to treat it as a traverseable hierarchy, therefore ideally suited for the left-hand-side view pane.

Let me know if I need to capture a couple of screenshots to illustrate?

Thanks as always!

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 07:57:23 pm »
Dariusz, I would report bugs to the bug tracker.

Since Ulrich's page is not available anymore, the trac page seems to be the recommended one.

Wendy Krieger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »
I tried downloading this from ArcaOS site, but they had a dead link or something.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 02:30:21 pm »
I tried downloading this from ArcaOS site, but they had a dead link or something.
Hi Wendy

I also confirm that the "xwp-1-0-14-0-an-xx.exe" files links on the ArcaNoae site does not work.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 07:59:11 pm »
Iy seems to be working now. I just downloaded the English version.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 06:55:59 pm »
I've installed this build on my Arca OS 5.0.2

Just after having it installed and at first reboot, the mouse moved but could not select any folder, objects
The plugin/eject button seems issuing a first wrong message at usb key plugin (no recognized followed my mounted)   
At shutdown dialog, the mouse is mowing slowly
The cpu % widget  shows  -  when CPU utilisation is 0% ! (before it shows 0% hich was a good indicator the the cpu is recognized

Often some cpus have a faulty cpu utilisation at 100% (starting firefox makes them return to normal indication) < this already existed before the update

Regards

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 10:11:38 pm »
I've installed this build on my Arca OS 5.0.2

Just after having it installed and at first reboot, the mouse moved but could not select any folder, objects
[...] At shutdown dialog, the mouse is mowing slowly

Of all the items you mention, this is the one whose relation to XWP I have to question. If you're using AMouse, I'd look at its settings in System Setup (all 27 pages of them). You might also remove its XCenter widget dll if that's installed (close XCenter to unlock the dll).

The plugin/eject button seems issuing a first wrong message at usb key plugin (no recognized followed my mounted)

If a USB MSD isn't mounted after 20 seconds, RemMedia (the USB widget) gives up. If it then got mounted, something else did so and RemM reported it. Do you also have IBM's USB monitor installed? If so, you should probably remove it from your Startup folder.

The cpu % widget  shows  -  when CPU utilisation is 0% ! (before it shows 0% hich was a good indicator the the cpu is recognized

Yes, that's exactly how it should be: it means the CPU is offline. A numeric value (0 - 100) only appears when the core is in use. You might also notice that the numbers no longer shift around every time they change. There's also a new bar-graph option. I find it tells me much more about what my 4- and 8-core machines are _really_ doing than any line graph ever could.

Often some cpus have a faulty cpu utilisation at 100% (starting firefox makes them return to normal indication) < this already existed before the update

This happens when I restart the Desktop and I don't know why. It is near the top of my to-do list because some days I restart the WPS 20+ times. My "cure" is to open IBM's CPU monitor, then under "Status" I set all cores online. Pressing OK causes ACPI to turn them off (not on) and corrects the display issue.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:34:18 pm by Rich Walsh »

Rich Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 11:31:37 pm »
I'm curious: any plans to enable the Xview to show DRIVE object SHADOWs in the left-hand-side TREE view pane? (I'm guessing this may be called the ICON view?)

I'm asking b/c no no such objects have every shown up in any of my Xview folders, although they do show up as an actual OBJECT in the Details pane, which is a bit counter-intuitive, since the whole point of having a drive shadow is to treat it as a traverseable hierarchy, therefore ideally suited for the left-hand-side view pane.

Short answer: No.  Long-winded answer:

First, all folder windows are 'container' windows which contain 'records' (think database record). Every WPS object has a record describing it that can be inserted into a container window so as to display it, manipulate it, etc. The window is versatile and can give you 3 different ways of looking at the data (icon/tree/details). You can insert the same record into multiple containers, but you can only insert it into any particular container once.

Next, the code that runs Tree view asks each folder it's displaying whether it has any subfolders. If so, it inserts the first subfolder's record into the container as a child - this triggers the 'plus' sign. Now, a shadow of a folder is still a shadow. It could get inserted into the tree since it's a proxy for a folder, but it doesn't have subfolders so it doesn't get a plus. The code has to be written to say "this is a shadow, so lets look at the original". If so, it might find a subfolder there, insert that and get the plus. Later, if you expanded the folder shadow, all the other subfolders would get added to the container as well. Works great, or so it seems.

The problem arises when you use that same window to navigate to the original folder whose shadow you expanded earlier. If you recall, an object can only be inserted once. Consequently, when you expand the original folder, it will have no subfolders because their records were used above as children of the shadow. Here's a demonstration: open your boot drive in tree view, then expand these folders: Desktop->Computer->Drives. Notice that your boot drive is missing from Drives - that's because it's record was already inserted at the top as the root record for this tree.

It's a zero-sum game at best, and hopelessly confusing if you don't understand the mechanics of why stuff "disappears" in tree view. I'd rather not go there. Instead, I'll see if there are any non-kludgy alternatives.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:35:40 pm by Rich Walsh »

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:47 am »

First, all folder windows are 'container' windows which contain 'records' (think database record). Every WPS object has a record describing it that can be inserted into a container window so as to display it, manipulate it, etc. The window is versatile and can give you 3 different ways of looking at the data (icon/tree/details). You can insert the same record into multiple containers, but you can only insert it into any particular container once.

Next, the code that runs Tree view asks each folder it's displaying whether it has any subfolders. If so, it inserts the first subfolder's record into the container as a child - this triggers the 'plus' sign. Now, a shadow of a folder is still a shadow. It could get inserted into the tree since it's a proxy for a folder, but it doesn't have subfolders so it doesn't get a plus. The code has to be written to say "this is a shadow, so lets look at the original". If so, it might find a subfolder there, insert that and get the plus. Later, if you expanded the folder shadow, all the other subfolders would get added to the container as well. Works great, or so it seems.

The problem arises when you use that same window to navigate to the original folder whose shadow you expanded earlier. If you recall, an object can only be inserted once. Consequently, when you expand the original folder, it will have no subfolders because their records were used above as children of the shadow. Here's a demonstration: open your boot drive in tree view, then expand these folders: Desktop->Computer->Drives. Notice that your boot drive is missing from Drives - that's because it's record was already inserted at the top as the root record for this tree.

It's a zero-sum game at best, and hopelessly confusing if you don't understand the mechanics of why stuff "disappears" in tree view. I'd rather not go there. Instead, I'll see if there are any non-kludgy alternatives.

1. I do not use amouse

2. will check

3. ok

4. This occured after I did an upgrade under ArcaOS (I do no more remember which one). I'll try your action (mine works but it occurs again later...)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 03:30:19 pm »
Hi Rich!

That is a superb explanation, at least I understand the wider limitation. Thank you sir!

I have never actually encountered the boot drive example you walked through, so that is indeed very clear now.

However, what I'm curious about is the following:

1) what happens if the object shadow I am trying to show does NOT actually point to a folder object that is a CHILD of the top-level object
- so my boot drive is G:, and while opening a folder in Xview which is a CHILD folder of drive G: I want to display the contents of the shadow of a Samba share, the being drive V: as defined by NetDrive
- I am thinking that V: shadow is NOT a child of boot drive G:, therefore, attempting to show it, or any of it's CHILD folders, within a boot drive tree that belongs to G:, should succeeed, no?

Anyways, I think I understant the PARENT<=>CHILD folder/object limitations, however I'm not at all clear as to why the DRIVE level stuff would not behave independently of each other?

Perhaps these drive objects, since they all belong to the Drives folder at the PARENT level, are impacted by each other the same way that a drive and it's CHILD folder objects are?

Matt Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 09:56:24 pm »
After I installed the update my sound has died.  Any suggestions for how to get it back.  Is there an easy way to go back to prior version of XWP?
Matt W.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 04:52:17 pm »
In the last version there was a bug that broke the shutdown sound this is fixed in the current ArcaOS version. You if yo are using the full versio try the lite versio if you are not using ARCAOS and straight OS/2 or Ecomstation.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 10:49:21 pm »

If a USB MSD isn't mounted after 20 seconds, RemMedia (the USB widget) gives up. If it then got mounted, something else did so and RemM reported it. Do you also have IBM's USB monitor installed? If so, you should probably remove it from your Startup folder.

No IBM USB monitor installed.
I have the bad message each time I plug an USB key (the message appears immediately and than, followed by the correct mounted usb key message)
The bad message:
"The new device was not recognized by the system."

This message should not occur immediately at USB plugin.

Regards 

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 10:26:26 pm »

No IBM USB monitor installed.
I have the bad message each time I plug an USB key (the message appears immediately and than, followed by the correct mounted usb key message)
The bad message:
"The new device was not recognized by the system." 

This message should not occur immediately at USB plugin.

Regards

I think having found why I have this message but it should appear when I plug in an USB key, it should popup before !
I have a ntfs usb key plugged into a other usb3 port and not realy visible making me forget it. (No ntfs driver installed)
At boot time, this key is plugged (wasn't removed), the message should appear just after boot time as not recognized but it didn't
It only appears as soon I plugin an usb key into an other usb port ! (in this case, a fat32)   ??? ::)