Author Topic: YUM default platform setting  (Read 7991 times)

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
YUM default platform setting
« on: October 19, 2021, 02:35:36 pm »
After getting problems with two ArcaOS installations, I started a new installation of ArcaOS 5.0.6. Meanwhile, installation really runs fine on my two computers. But I wonder why on the one computer, the default Arca Noae Platform setting (Manage - Platform) is "pentium4", on the other "i686". Only on the "i686" computer, OpenOffice 4.1.8 works. On the "pentium4" computer, it ends with the 2nd start screen (User Name). I did not install any other software on both systems. The main difference (besides another manufacturer of the AMD4 motherboard) is that the one which works ("i686") has got a Ryzen 2200G 4 core APU without Hyperthreading (= 4 threads), and the one where I have got the problems ("pentium4") is a Ryzen 3400G 4 core with Hyperthreading (= 8 threads), and more clock speed.

Is it possible that ArcaOS does not like Hyperthreading (sorry, I cannot turn it off on the BIOS) and switches back to the more secure "pentium4"?
Can I force i686 while installing ArcaOS ? I did not find a setting in the installation routines.

ivan

• View Profile
Re: YUM default platform setting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 03:25:49 pm »
On my Ryzen third gen motherboard (Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G processor) the only way I could get reliable working is by turning hyperthreading OFF.  I even found it caused problems on an older machine with an AMD A8-9600 processor .

I can't comment about any interaction with YUM since I tend to keep clear of it, also I use OpenOffice version 4120 from wayback - including all the required DLLs being in the 'AOO, program directory'.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 03:33:08 pm »
You have to upgrade carefully this time with yum. I'm waiting for instructions from Arca Noae or BitWise how to do it.

One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:34:39 pm by Neil Waldhauer »
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 04:26:24 pm »
Hi Martin, you will have to turn off the hyperthreading on the command line of ACPI, not the simplest thing to do as yo have to figure out which cores are real and which are fake and use a bitmask to only use the real ones. First try adding /CPUMASK=1 to the PSD line in config.sys to test with only one CPU. If OO now works on the problem system, that will tell you it is a hyperthreading problem.
The PSD documentation is under x:\sys\docs\ACPI as psd_en.pdf. See the ACPI command line section. You might have to open an issue to get help.
As for the i686 vs Pentium 4 thing, Bitwise seems to be guiding us to Pentium 4 systems to support the new browser. As Neil said, more to come.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 05:36:14 pm »
One of the upgrade steps changes your platform from i686 to pentium4.

But on the computer working fine which shows still "i686", I did make also the same (all) upgrade steps.
There's perhaps one week time difference. Can it happen that in this week, such minor changes were made on the server?

I can also try to copy the directories
Code: [Select]
usr/* var/* etc/* sys/*from the fine working installtion to the problem installation.
I hope that all information about the system drive is stored in environment variables, because the drive letters are different.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 07:40:36 pm »
I found the easiest way to turn off hyperthreading was to go into the UEFI bios and do it there. once done it stays done but can be very hard to find,

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 09:09:32 pm »
I only found a switch to turn off SMT. But if I understand right, this is not the same. Symmetric Multi Threading means several cores are used for one thread each, and Hyperthreading means two threads are running on the same core. Is that right? Of course I still want to use all my cores.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 09:45:36 pm »
I have tried now the SMT setting in the BIOS (advanced - CPU). ArcaOS has got still the four pulse graphs. So it seems that SMT and Hyperthreading is the same indeed.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 11:52:48 pm »
After starting the Computer without SMT (Hyperthreading), "i686" appears as platform. So this seems to be the reason of choice. But anyway, updating all YUM stuff (while updating, it turns to "pentium4" again) does not help. So it seems that meanwhile, a package has changed and omits running OpenOffice. YUM seems to be a big construction zone in ArcaOS.
Next, I will try to copy the whole YUM directories from the corret installtion to the problem installation and will report here next week.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 05:12:21 pm »
Hi

I have a confusion about i686 and petium4 on the rpm packages.

I have ArcaOS 5.06, ANPM 1.06. My test VM used to have all the packages as i686, on the lastest update of poppler it started to give me some error, so I uninstalled poppler with ANPM and I reinstalled it. On the reinstall it got installed as pentium4. Then I reinstalled Qt5 and it also shows as pentium4.

What it is supposed to be the preferred package? i686 or pentium4? depending on what? Did I missed some documentation or post explaining the differences?

I also have a non technical issue with the "petium4" name category on the packages, since it is trademarked word from Intel, but is just my OCD.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 06:19:05 pm »
The standard architecture has changed from i686 to pentium4.

Just wait a bit for issues caused by that. I suppose these will be fixed in the near future, apps will be recompiled and then AN 5.0.7 will be released.

Until then I would still keep the i686 line and avoid to update os2-base. It changes the file \etc\rpm\platform. Note that many people don't have problems with pentium4, but at least AOO and the old FF38 (SM2.35) have them.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 06:45:13 pm »
Seems the new browser requires SSE and/or SSE2 which i686 does not support but Pentium4 does. The same thing has happened with Firefox and various operating systems though they usually have Pentium M as the minimum requirement.
For now you can change back to i686 using ANPM or editing /etc/rpm/platform. The poppler thing has been reported elsewhere as causing problems.

@Andreas, what problems are you having? AOO needs a downgraded libicu until it gets rebuilt and SM2.35 has problems with the updated NSPR4 and NSS I believe. Do you need a rebuilt SM 2.35? I have one built with the intree NSPR4 and NSS.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 07:50:30 pm »
@Andreas, what problems are you having? AOO needs a downgraded libicu until it gets rebuilt and SM2.35 has problems with the updated NSPR4 and NSS I believe.
Do you need a rebuilt SM 2.35? I have one built with the intree NSPR4 and NSS.
Problems: SM2.35 shows empty pages for https://www.os2.org. AOO as reported. The result of ANPM 'update all' had mixed architectures and shows many failures. (Haven't tried Poppler and AOO with that half-working system yet.)

Thanks for compiling SM (at all) and SM with NSS and NSPR4 updates. Looks from the reports like that fixes it. No, I don't need an extra version, thanks. Maybe it's better to wait until that will go public. Reports look promising.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 01:44:52 am »
Anyways, I've uploaded https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/incoming/seamonkey-2.35.en-US.os2-Pentium4.191020102021.zip. It displays os2.org though fails at translating it with a 502 error.
This will need some newer versions of various libs such as libkai. If sounds chatter, try setting KAI_NOSOFTMIXER=1.
Certificates probably also need updating.

Martin Vieregg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 04:52:50 pm »
I could solve my problems by copying the
Code: [Select]
var usr sys etcdirectories from a functioning ArcaOS installation to the problematic one. Now all works fine. It is useful to store the working state of these directories.