Author Topic: Librecad and other ports  (Read 4687 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Librecad and other ports
« on: November 09, 2021, 10:01:24 pm »
Thank you very much for carrying this application, I find it very comfortable not to have to start WIN to be able to use a CAD program in OS/2.
I just have a question, because you do not put the icon if you have it in the folders.
The other program that I wanted to test is the OpenJournal, but it does not let me open it. I do not see any error file.

Saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Librecad and other ports
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 02:17:07 am »
Hi Roberto
The other program that I wanted to test is the OpenJournal, but it does not let me open it. I do not see any error file.
Do you have any error on Open Journal?
Just in case you need to install, qt5-qtmultimedia, qt5-qtwebsockets, qt5-qtwebengine, qt5-qtwebchannel

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

TeLLie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 04:05:54 pm »
Hi,

Maybe "chkdll32 openjournal.exe" will give some answer...

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 06:53:18 pm »
Martin - After install those packages let me tear it up but not well. The calendar does not come out. There are still things,

TELLIE-- I do not have on my system the chkdll32 file

A simple way to put a PNG type icon in a program is:
Copy your-icon.png your-icon.ico, open the program in Properties, Icon, and select the ICO button, drag and loose your-icon.ico , push on button PNG.

You close the program properties, and delete the your-icon.ico file. This is a png file.

saludos

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »
Hi Roberto

Can you try "PMDLL.exe openjournal.exe" and check the dependencies that are in red?
If you don't have PMDLL you can get it at hobbes.

Can you also confirm you are connected to the netlabs-exp repository and have Qt 5.15.2  installed?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 11:47:31 pm »
TELLIE-- I do not have on my system the chkdll32 file

PMDLL (can be found on Hobbes) will also do the job

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 02:38:15 pm »
The main question, since there is no definitive QT5 runtime package available - which of the 44 QT5 packages do we need to download to get a working QT5 runtime?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 02:56:26 pm »
Hi Ivan

I had tested it with Qt5 5.15.2 from the netlabs-exp repository, which means that is still experimental and you need to be careful under which system are you installing it. 

If there are people that don't want to use the "netlabs-exp" is better for them to wait until all this runtime get to the regular repository.

To test it I had installed:
- qt5-qtbase, qt5-qtmultimedia, qt5-qtwebsockets, qt5-qtwebengine, qt5-qtwebchannel
From the Netlabs-exp.

General notes:

PMDLL is a great graphical tool to see what may be missing with the DLLs. (Attached picture).

Also as a general recommendation to find a missing DLL on the RPM repositories I use:

yum whatprovides */<filename>

like:

yum whatprovides */libcn0.dll

Regards

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 03:28:43 pm »
Hi Martin,

I know you mentioned the netlabs-exp repository but looking at what is there there is no QT5 mentioned.  I was able to find QT5 5.15.2 mentioned in the regular pentium 4 repository.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 04:37:31 pm »
Seems they have migrated to netlabs-rel. Some of the packages are only available for Pentium 4

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 08:28:28 pm »
Hi Dave, for what I understood on other discussions, it seems that the future is going to be to use "pentium4" architecture name for newer packages.

Some comments are on Arca's "Known issues/limitations", but nothing specif on when to use each architecture.

The i386 architecture has been deprecated in favor of i686. As a result, packages which have been updated for the i686 and pentium4 architectures may not reflect the current version numbers in the available package list, although the icon may indicate that they have been updated recently. Selecting the listed package will always install the latest available for the configured architecture, however. As a workaround, start ANPM with the /DUP switch. This will cause all available versions (duplicate package names, but all versions and architectures) to be displayed in the available package list. We are working on improving the package filtering logic to address this.

Also...
Changing architectures (i386 to i686, i386 to pentium4, pentium4 to i686, etc.) from the RPM Platform Configuration dialog or by editing %UNIXROOT%\etc\rpm\platform directly may lead to unpredictable results. This is a YUM issue, and not a defect of ANPM. We are considering ways to help make these changes easier.

It seems to me that we should that the "pentium4" architecture name for packages is the one we should be using for current hardware. Even that for me "pentium4" sounds old and it is a trademarked word, it seems that the newer stuff is being called that way. Am I right?

I don't know if there is a clear document that specifies when you should use i386, i686 or pentium4.
Is it compiled on a different way the i686 and the pentium4?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 11:12:14 pm »

It seems to me that we should that the "pentium4" architecture name for packages is the one we should be using for current hardware. Even that for me "pentium4" sounds old and it is a trademarked word, it seems that the newer stuff is being called that way. Am I right?

It's complicated. Pentium 4 supports various simd instructions, MMX, SSE and SSE2 as well as some other instructions that can speed thing up. OTOH, the Pentium 4 liked a completely different instruction ordering then i686 and its descendants such as the Core platform, as well AMD stayed closer to i686.
So for programs that don't need SSE2 etc, i686 will arrange the instructions for minimal pipeline stalls on everything but Pentium 4. If you need SSE2, well our only choice is Pentium 4.
This is why I was building Pentium M versions of the Mozilla apps as it is a much better minimum version for most CPU's then Pentium 4.

I don't know if there is a clear document that specifies when you should use i386, i686 or pentium4.
Is it compiled on a different way the i686 and the pentium4?

Yes, GCC takes the -march= CFLAG (and CXXFLAG) to target an architectures instruction set and by default the tuning. There is also the -mtune= flag to tune for different architectures. The last browsers I made were with -march=pentium4 -mtune=generic with the -mtune=generic being targeted at the most common CPU's  around when that version of GCC was released.
There are also other flags, -msse2 and such to enable sse2, -mfpmath=sse to use SSE for floating point math saving the overhead of switching over to the ix87 math co-processor for floating point math.
Many a thing from Firefox to Windows and most Linux dists now need SSE2 and have a minimum requirement of Pentium M or such. Pentium M is a bit weird because while it supports PAE memory extensions, it advertises it doesn't, installing Ubuntu on my Thinkpad 42 needs a kernel parameter to force PAE for example. Windows probably just does the forcing.