Author Topic: Tweaking eCS for low memory system  (Read 21292 times)

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Tweaking eCS for low memory system
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 05:23:25 am »
No idea if you've done this yet or not, but some other things to remember...
  • Uninstall the DMI stuff (or just remove SMSTART from CONFIG.SYS)
  • Make sure you only use 16-colour icons and resources (i.e. the default IBM stuff, not the eCS icons)

In general, if I was building a system like this I wouldn't start with a full system and try to strip it down -- I'd install a minimal system (i.e. nothing except what SEINST installs, or even BOOTOS2 with the WPS option) and gradually add only what I need.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 04:41:57 pm »
Mounted this board on the evaluation board looks like on the pictures below. Advantage is interfaces are routed to connectors (LAN, 4xCOM, Parallel, ...). Disadvantage - size :-) But as the 12.1" display is nearly the same size it does not matter for this application.

Daughter board on the left is only necessary for TTL - LVDS translation. Basically only one simple chip is necessary for this. Not such a big board. But as I have it... With TTL displays this would not be necessary too. But I do have only 800x600 in TTL not the 1024x768 I like to used for this application. There even exists 15" displays with 1024x768 and TTL interface but they are rare. Anyway such a big display would not fit into my enclosure.

Power consumption of the whole thing is 12V x 1,15A = 13,8W including display and backlight. With display off 3,6W only when doing nothing except running the desktop and server software. Mouse and keyboard included. When starting programs power consumption raises up to about 5,4W.

Network speed is only 1,25MByte/s. But this is cause the slow CF-Card. Netio shows 3 - 5.5MByte/s. Anyway not usable as file server. But maybe as simple firewall as injoy do not need much resources. But did not test this.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:44:14 pm by Andi B. »

dbanet

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »
I'd try this:
Code: [Select]
PROTECTONLY=YES
VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=512
PROCESSES=64
THREADS=128
Instead of deinstalling eWP, you can try restarting the desktop with Shift key pressed, and in the panic menu, check the 'Permanently disable all features' checkbox and continue. You can try using WarpCenter instead.

dbanet

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:58 pm »
Desktop->Properties->Background->Color only