Author Topic: ArcaOS Time Sync Problems  (Read 4635 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
ArcaOS Time Sync Problems
« on: November 23, 2023, 06:22:08 pm »
Hi

I have some problems with ArcaOS 5.1 and Time synchronization. It is putting the wrong time on my machine even that I have the correct zone. ( GST5).

I get this error when I open "Clock Synchronization". (Picture attached).
I don't understand where I have to correct this problem. If I sync the time, the clock get corrected just for a little while, and after some seconds it is change to the wrong time again.

On the config.sys I have "SET TZ=GST5".

Please let me know what I'm missing to check. I guess it is something trivial that I don't know.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS Time Sync Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:32:12 pm »
Try "SET TZ=GST5GST".

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 01:29:49 pm »
Hi

I have some problems with ArcaOS 5.1 and Time synchronization. It is putting the wrong time on my machine even that I have the correct zone. ( GST5).

I get this error when I open "Clock Synchronization". (Picture attached).
I don't understand where I have to correct this problem. If I sync the time, the clock get corrected just for a little while, and after some seconds it is change to the wrong time again.

On the config.sys I have "SET TZ=GST5".

Please let me know what I'm missing to check. I guess it is something trivial that I don't know.

Regards

If this is an error please open a ticket in https://mantis.arcanoae.com.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 10:32:29 pm »
Hello

I'm testing the issue. I'm trying to remember what happen on the ArcaOS 5.1 installation. Maybe I installed with a different time zone and after trying to fix it with "Clock Sync", it did not work.

I followed Dave's advice and put "SET TZ=GST5GST". On the next reboot my clock was fine and "Clock Sync" no longer gave me this error.

Do you think this is a bug with "Clock Sync" that is putting only SET TZ=GST5 on my config.sys when it should put "SET TZ=GST5GST" ?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 11:21:12 pm »
Hi Martin,

As far as I remember 'Clock Sync' assumes you have the correct 'SET TZ= ' in the config.sys, it does not put it there (see set tz in the command reference) and it does need the second version you show.  Just think yourself lucky you don't have something like I need  -
SET TZ=CET-1CDT,3,-1,0,7200,10,-1,0,10800,3600

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 01:25:31 am »
Hello

I'm testing the issue. I'm trying to remember what happen on the ArcaOS 5.1 installation. Maybe I installed with a different time zone and after trying to fix it with "Clock Sync", it did not work.

I followed Dave's advice and put "SET TZ=GST5GST". On the next reboot my clock was fine and "Clock Sync" no longer gave me this error.

Do you think this is a bug with "Clock Sync" that is putting only SET TZ=GST5 on my config.sys when it should put "SET TZ=GST5GST" ?

Regards

Looking at the Posix standard, it seems that GST5 or perhaps GST+5 should work. Looking at our headers, settz() etc is on the todo list while it is implemented in EMX which the EMX C Library Reference also says only the TZ1 (GMT5 in your case) part is mandatory. So it does seem like a bug that Clock Sync was not happy with GMT5, perhaps try GMT+5.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 01:28:50 am »
Hi Martin,

As far as I remember 'Clock Sync' assumes you have the correct 'SET TZ= ' in the config.sys, it does not put it there (see set tz in the command reference) and it does need the second version you show.  Just think yourself lucky you don't have something like I need  -
SET TZ=CET-1CDT,3,-1,0,7200,10,-1,0,10800,3600

Hi Ivan

On my case, if I don't have a SET TZ= on my config.sys, "Clock Sync" will suggest me to add my local time zone on the config.sys.
It just put on the config.sys "SET TZ=GST5"

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 02:38:19 am »
Hi Martin,

It would be nice to see the full screen of the 'Clock Synchronization' display, but my feeling is that it needs a full 'SET TZ' statement in config.sys to be of any use otherwise how does it know what to look for to synchronise with.