OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Games

Anyone running The Battle for Wesnoth?

(1/3) > >>

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week - expecting 20 cm of snow and possibly freezing rain up here in Alberta over the next day, so staying in to avoid the icy roads.

I'm on to another of my "to do" list items - setting up a number of games to run on ArcaOS.

I've currently got running Dos Games (under DOSBOX), some old Windows games, SDL Games, and Java based games, in addition to native OS/2 ones, however one game I'm having trouble setting up is The Battle for Wesnoth.

I especially want to get that running, as it is a game with tremendous play value..

I have:

1} Installed the folder Wesnoth provided in Martin's games compilation (v1.4.5 ported by Paul Smedley) in the Root directory (D:).

2) The necessary SDL files, I believe, at v1.2.15 level (These were installed to run older SDL games already)

3) The latest version of libc installed by ANPM (the instructions call for libc 0.6.6 csd3 so don't know if that may be the problem)

Running the game I get the screen which I have attached here. Trying on one of my other systems the same crash occurs.

So, was wondering if anyone has the Battle for Wesnoth running on ArcaOS v5.0.6 at the moment, and if so, how did you set it up to run successfully?

Best and a fine day to you!

Mark

Dave Yeo:
Hi Mark, hopefully you only get 20cm of snow. Here on the coast it has been a couple of hundred mm of rain probably 300mm where I live in the mountains, couldn't even get to town today as all roads were washed out with the creeks raging like I've never seen. I'm sure your news will show it. What a weird year.
As for your crash, the trp files might tell you more, at least the module where the crash happened. There's a good chance you need a different SDL build, there's too many and they're often slightly different.

Mark Szkolnicki:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on November 16, 2021, 02:38:24 am ---Hi Mark, hopefully you only get 20cm of snow. Here on the coast it has been a couple of hundred mm of rain probably 300mm where I live in the mountains, couldn't even get to town today as all roads were washed out with the creeks raging like I've never seen. I'm sure your news will show it. What a weird year.
As for your crash, the trp files might tell you more, at least the module where the crash happened. There's a good chance you need a different SDL build, there's too many and they're often slightly different.

--- End quote ---

Heh Dave!

Long time no talk!

For us at the moment the worst part is the freezing rain, something I suspect you've experienced, but this is our first big dump of the year of snow, over that, making driving out where I am treacherous, and there may be more later in the week.

I assume your in British Columbia? - heard about Highways 7 and 99, and the landslides and people being trapped in their cars up in the mountains. Also about Merritt where floodwaters rose 3 metres in hours, after 230 mm of rain in 48 hours. The only time I've ever seen dumps like that was when I was doing work for the Gas Authority in India (GAIL), during monsoon.

British Columbia just is not getting a break this year, Sir - after my stint with response to the CoVid emergency here for 15 months, I then was helping out your way, working out  in the Emergency Operations Centres, assisting in coordinating response to the BC forest fire emergencies July to mid-October, so I agree, its been a crazy year (or for me, nearly two years).

As to the TRP files, Exceptq has generated reports everytime I've started Wesnoth - I've attached one to this post.

Stay safe and dry, Sir and good talking again!

Mark

Dave Yeo:
Hi Mark,
Yea, I'm about 50 miles east of Vancouver. It rains a lot here but this is the whole of Novembers rain every day for the last 2 days.
Good luck with the ice storm, I hate them.
As for Battle for Wesnoth, the trp doesn't say much besides it is the exe crashing. As a WAG, I'd suggest raising your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT, perhaps to 2560, looks like a memory intense application. Maybe Paul will be by with other ideas.
Good luck with the weather.

Mark Szkolnicki:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on November 16, 2021, 07:15:00 am ---Hi Mark,
Yea, I'm about 50 miles east of Vancouver. It rains a lot here but this is the whole of Novembers rain every day for the last 2 days.
Good luck with the ice storm, I hate them.
As for Battle for Wesnoth, the trp doesn't say much besides it is the exe crashing. As a WAG, I'd suggest raising your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT, perhaps to 2560, looks like a memory intense application. Maybe Paul will be by with other ideas.
Good luck with the weather.

--- End quote ---

Near Chilliwack perhaps?

Have a friend, whose sister and family live in Chilliwack and relatives near there up in the mountains as well - so I think its time to check in with them, as like you, they may also be washed out.

Yup, on top of snow we got an abnormal temperature trend overnight (hate those) where the temperature actually rose overnight, so more freezing rain expected over snow. And now they issued a wind warning @4:30 AM, with gusts up to 100 km/hr ............. ride'em cowboy!

Will have a look at upping memory and see what happens - I'm also going to look back at one of my older portables as I think I still have it installed successfully there, under eCS - perhaps it will give me a clue.

Best!

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version