OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Using a LaserJet 2100m on a Print Server

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lars:
Why don't you use the SLPR port driver and specify the IP address of the print server (192.168.1.55) as "LPD Server" and "Printer" (without the quotes) as the "LPD Printer" ? That's at least what the DLink config page mandates (if you read through the help for "LPD Printer" you will see that it is the LPR Queue Name that you need to enter).
The use of USB should be completely transparent as long as the USB host implementation in the print server works according to standards.

EDIT: the reason why you don't see a "proper" name for your printer might indeed be related to the USB to parallel port adapter and/or also the printer itself. I suspect that you need bidirectional communication functionality to query a "decent" printer name from a printer. If the printer is very old, it might not support that or the USB to parallel port adapter might not support bidirectional communication. Nonetheless I would hope that at least you can print to that printer with the settings given above.

Mark Szkolnicki:
Hi Lars!

--- Quote from: Lars on November 30, 2021, 10:40:20 pm ---Why don't you use the SLPR port driver and specify the IP address of the print server (192.168.1.55) as "LPD Server" and "Printer" (without the quotes) as the "LPD Printer" ? That's at least what the DLink config page mandates (if you read through the help for "LPD Printer" you will see that it is the LPR Queue Name that you need to enter).
The use of USB should be completely transparent as long as the USB host implementation in the print server works according to standards.

EDIT: the reason why you don't see a "proper" name for your printer might indeed be related to the USB to parallel port adapter and/or also the printer itself. I suspect that you need bidirectional communication functionality to query a "decent" printer name from a printer. If the printer is very old, it might not support that or the USB to parallel port adapter might not support bidirectional communication. Nonetheless I would hope that at least you can print to that printer with the settings given above.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info!

A LaserJet 2100m is indeed an old printer, but still works perfectly at least in internal printout tests - have had it lying around for a number of years and as the 3500 requires 4 cartridges to print, and the 2100 only one, I thought it would be interesting to get it running if I only need Black and White output around the office. At the moment I'm exploring a lot of things, as you probably have seen from various posts.

As to the cable supporting bidirectional communication, I can't say, Lars - most parts of that nature don't have a lot of specs as to the nature of their functionality. I assumed that was the case when it was purchased, but we all know what "assume" means.

Will try the SLPR approach and see what happens.

BTW, thats a very interesting discussion your having on the DOS VDM topic line. Not being a programmer, but being interested in hardware tech for decades, that topic line is teaching me a lot about the nature of USB and the programming involved.

Have never tried your USB driver set implementation in the past, but am putting it on my "to do" list in future, for experimentation. Have noted what you were doing, but will have to read up on what you have done differently, in comparison to the ArcaOS standard USB.

Best and a fine day to you, Sir!

Mark

Lars:
By "old printer", I do not mean "bad printer". It's just that bidirectional communication with a printer was not standard when printers with parallel ports were first built.

Mark Szkolnicki:
Heh Lars!

--- Quote from: Lars on December 01, 2021, 04:39:19 pm ---By "old printer", I do not mean "bad printer". It's just that bidirectional communication with a printer was not standard when printers with parallel ports were first built.

--- End quote ---

Never took your comment in that way in the least, Lars - I think the 2100m may resemble that remark, related to lack of bi-directional communication.

Setting up SLPR as we speak, and Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki:
Heh Lars!

--- Quote from: Lars on November 30, 2021, 10:40:20 pm ---Why don't you use the SLPR port driver and specify the IP address of the print server (192.168.1.55) as "LPD Server" and "Printer" (without the quotes) as the "LPD Printer" ? That's at least what the DLink config page mandates (if you read through the help for "LPD Printer" you will see that it is the LPR Queue Name that you need to enter).

--- End quote ---

Tried the SLPR port suggestion and no difference - when ArcaOS sends a print job to the printer it times out with "Printer off-line, jammed or out of paper".

As the tower I'm experimenting on has multiple OS partitions I decided to load a Universal Printer driver on Windows 7 and try that way of printing to the printer. Setting to RAW and port address 9103 and then alternately, setting to LPR and queue "Printer", resulted in neither printing to the HP2100.

So it does seem, Lars, that while this printer can be seen as a device on the D-Link Print Server, it is not accepting any input when a print job is sent to it - I plan to try a couple of other things (different HP2100 compatible device drivers and moving to a different port address on the print server, just in case that port is faulty for some reason) but I suspect its a communication problem, possibly parallel to USB or lack of bidirectional communications as discussed.

After Doug Clark's post, I did look around on eBay and found a plethora of JetDirect 300x print servers for sale at reasonable prices, some still new in the box, so I may try the parallel direct to network possible solution just for interest - if it doesn't work at least it will be a cheap learning experience.

But thanks for the suggestions, Lars, and to Dariusz as well. I will report back if I purchase a JetDirect 300x, or if I find anything else interesting occurs.

But a fine day to all, gentlemen, and Best!

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version