Author Topic: Using a LaserJet 2100m on a Print Server  (Read 12998 times)

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
Using a LaserJet 2100m on a Print Server
« on: November 22, 2021, 10:50:22 pm »
Hi All yet again!

Clearing up the backlog on my to do list quite nicely at the moment, thanks to the help here. I'm on to yet another item where some advice would be helpful to possibly point me in the right direction.

I've had for years a LaserJet 2100m which I want to set up on a D-Link DPR-1260 Print Server. I already have an HP Color LaserJet 3500 attached and printing nicely, using CUPS but am having trouble setting up and printing to the LaserJet 2100.

Just because I was familiar with it I've set up my printers in the past using the LPD protocol. One day I plan to play around with IPP, but that's for another day, unless the solution may lie there.

The printer was originally used connected directly to one of my towers, and has an external parallel port built in. I've got a Parallel Port to USB adapter attaching the printer to the Print Server. With the printer turned on and addressing the IP address for the Print Server (192.168.1.55 on my network) I reach the print server and get the output which I attached below (Dlink Screen.JPG).

As the USB Port (#4) reports an unknown printer, I'm not sure if thats related to the age of the printer, or whether the printer is just not communicating. I was thinking of trying to ping the printer on my network, but its been quite a while since I did that - if someone can jog my memory as to what I need to enter to undertake that it would be appreciated (I assume Print Server IP address, but also need to know what syntax to use to add the Port address).

The problem may also be in putting in a correct queue name as that was originally a problem with the 3500 - once I got that correct under CUPS everything else worked perfectly.

In summary, has anyone got a LJ2100 running at the moment, or historically, especially on a print server, and what does you set-up information look like, LPD, IPP, CUPS, or otherwise.

Thanks Guys and Gals and a fine day to everyone.

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Doug Clark

• View Profile
Re: Using a LaserJet 2100m on a Print Server
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 02:48:29 am »
Mark,

Your D-Link not recognizing the printer might be the usb to parallel adapter.

I don't know if your network is all wireless, or partly wired.  If it is wired, or you have an ethernet port close to where you want to put the printer, you could try an HP Jet Direct 300x print server.  I use that to connect an HP 4000 and HP 1320  laserjet to my network.  They are currently selling for $12 on ebay without an adapter and $45 with a power adapter.  (It accepts a 9 - 35 volt DC adapter)

The nice thing about the Jet Direct 300x is that it interfaces with HP Jet Admin - which installs a network port for talking to the print server.  Jet Admin can even show what is being displayed on the printer panel.  OS/2 comes with a printer driver for the HP 2100 driver, or you can use any PCL or PS driver (if the printer recognizes postscript) and then use the Jet Admin/Jet Direct port to talk to the printer.  Jet Admin can talk to HP printers through Jet Direct that it does not recognize - as shown in one of the attachments.

The HP Jet Admin appears to not work so well with the newer HP printers - like my HP452dn.  It can show what the printer panel is showing, but gets messed up in other ways.  I am using SLR to talk to that printer.   But Jet Admin works like a dream with the older printers that have parallel ports.

You don't have to use CUPS unless there is something special about the D-LINK printer server that requires CUPS, or you need to print from an app that will only print to CUPS - like some of the QT based apps.

On the other hand CUPS will print to a printer connected to a Jet Direct print server.  I have my HP 4000 setup to print either from legacy Jet Admin or from CUPS.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 05:03:37 am »
Hey Mark!

...I've had for years a LaserJet 2100m which I want to set up on a D-Link DPR-1260 Print Server. I already have an HP Color LaserJet 3500 attached and printing nicely, using CUPS but am having trouble setting up and printing to the LaserJet 2100.

Just because I was familiar with it I've set up my printers in the past using the LPD protocol. One day I plan to play around with IPP, but that's for another day, unless the solution may lie there.

The printer was originally used connected directly to one of my towers, and has an external parallel port built in. I've got a Parallel Port to USB adapter attaching the printer to the Print Server. With the printer turned on and addressing the IP address for the Print Server (192.168.1.55 on my network) I reach the print server and get the output which I attached below (Dlink Screen.JPG).

As the USB Port (#4) reports an unknown printer, I'm not sure if thats related to the age of the printer, or whether the printer is just not communicating. I was thinking of trying to ping the printer on my network, but its been quite a while since I did that - if someone can jog my memory as to what I need to enter to undertake that it would be appreciated (I assume Print Server IP address, but also need to know what syntax to use to add the Port address)...

So what I'm thinking is that your D-Link Print Server should be exposing the attached printers through some kind of interface that differentiates the printers from each other. By the looks of it, that difference is the port# that the printer is going to respond on.

My Brother has a NIC with a print server built in, which means that my OS/2 setup is using a SLPR port driver to point to the printer's IP address (which would be your D-Link Printer Server IP address I believe) and a specific interface, which in the attached photo is the 'LPD printer' field, and for you that is probably going to be the printer's port number.

In my case I'm using the BINARY_P1 service of Brother's built-in print server.

Worst case, given that your D-Link Printer Server is at 192.168.1.55, you could point the SLPR port driver to 192.168.1.55:9103 and perhaps look to see what service names (if any) are exposed and can be used in the 'LPD printer' field.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:14:23 pm »
Hi Doug!

Thanks for the reply

I actually was thinking that - I've has some successes with USB adapters and a lot of situations where items are not recognized under ArcaOS. I've been following Lars's current conversation on another topic thread about root and chained USB hubs with interest as well, to see if that might have some bearing on the problem, based on our implementation of USB support. A lot of food for thought at the moment.

As CUPS has a driver for an HP 2100m I've tried that, but haven't gone back to the drivers that originally came with OS/2. I suspect if the printer port is reporting the printer as "unknown" it also may not work, as it may be a communications problem as you pointed out. But never hurts to try.   

I don't know if your network is all wireless, or partly wired.  If it is wired, or you have an ethernet port close to where you want to put the printer, you could try an HP Jet Direct 300x print server.  I use that to connect an HP 4000 and HP 1320  laserjet to my network.  They are currently selling for $12 on ebay without an adapter and $45 with a power adapter.  (It accepts a 9 - 35 volt DC adapter)

The nice thing about the Jet Direct 300x is that it interfaces with HP Jet Admin - which installs a network port for talking to the print server.  Jet Admin can even show what is being displayed on the printer panel.  OS/2 comes with a printer driver for the HP 2100 driver, or you can use any PCL or PS driver (if the printer recognizes postscript) and then use the Jet Admin/Jet Direct port to talk to the printer.  Jet Admin can talk to HP printers through Jet Direct that it does not recognize - as shown in one of the attachments.

The D-Link has worked well for many years, and is a USB device - I actually switched to this one about ten years ago as when I got the 3500, it could only be USB connected - a previous D-Link Print Server I had actually was parallel port and the 2100 worked perfectly on it. I actually did not mention that I have a third printer on the current print server, which was not on when I snapped the picture - its an Epson 1280 Photo Stylus printer which also works perfectly but currently is down due to not using it for awhile, causing the printer head to clog.

My network is a combination of wired and wireless - towers and printers are connected via cat5 cables and routers and the set-up also includes one router which has a wireless function, so that our portables have a gateway to use the attached devices as well.

As to the Jet Direct Print server I might look into that - being up in Canada (don't know where your located, Doug - you may be up here too) I've found that most used equipment is being offered by sellers based in the states. And as a result buying on eBay can be rather interesting lately - something might be listed for $12.00 US, but then for some strange reason they may want to add $40-50 US in shipping charges to Canada, which is outrageous (you'd think we're on another planet).

But a couple of interesting suggestions I will examine, Sir! Thanks for the input and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 07:35:06 pm »
Heh Dariusz!

Nice to hear from you today!

So what I'm thinking is that your D-Link Print Server should be exposing the attached printers through some kind of interface that differentiates the printers from each other. By the looks of it, that difference is the port# that the printer is going to respond on.

My Brother has a NIC with a print server built in, which means that my OS/2 setup is using a SLPR port driver to point to the printer's IP address (which would be your D-Link Printer Server IP address I believe) and a specific interface, which in the attached photo is the 'LPD printer' field, and for you that is probably going to be the printer's port number.

In my case I'm using the BINARY_P1 service of Brother's built-in print server.

Worst case, given that your D-Link Printer Server is at 192.168.1.55, you could point the SLPR port driver to 192.168.1.55:9103 and perhaps look to see what service names (if any) are exposed and can be used in the 'LPD printer' field.

In the case of the print server, you are correct Sir.

One static IP address for the print server which I set up on my wired network (192.168.1.55) with 4 port addresses, of which:

9100 - print address for the HP 3500
9101 - print address for an Epson 1280 Color Photo Stylus (was not on when the picture was taken - see my post to Doug)
9102 - I have a scanner connected but not in use, as I scan in other ways)
9103 - print address for the HP 2100

I'll have a look at your attachment with interest.

I suspect from the replies, that the problem is either:

1) The parallel to USB adapter not communicating with the print server, hence ArcaOS not being able to address the printer, no matter what driver I've set-up, or

2) Not using the correct Queue Name for the printer (a problem I had setting up the HP3500 originally)

I'm leaning towards 1) at the moment, and may try the JetDirect solution first, if I can get one at a reasonable price as it would only mean connecting another device to my router array.

But I will be interested in what you sent Dariusz, as it may twig something else in my laterally thinking brain and Best!

M

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 10:40:20 pm »
Why don't you use the SLPR port driver and specify the IP address of the print server (192.168.1.55) as "LPD Server" and "Printer" (without the quotes) as the "LPD Printer" ? That's at least what the DLink config page mandates (if you read through the help for "LPD Printer" you will see that it is the LPR Queue Name that you need to enter).
The use of USB should be completely transparent as long as the USB host implementation in the print server works according to standards.

EDIT: the reason why you don't see a "proper" name for your printer might indeed be related to the USB to parallel port adapter and/or also the printer itself. I suspect that you need bidirectional communication functionality to query a "decent" printer name from a printer. If the printer is very old, it might not support that or the USB to parallel port adapter might not support bidirectional communication. Nonetheless I would hope that at least you can print to that printer with the settings given above.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:11:35 am by Lars »

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 04:05:50 pm »
Hi Lars!

Why don't you use the SLPR port driver and specify the IP address of the print server (192.168.1.55) as "LPD Server" and "Printer" (without the quotes) as the "LPD Printer" ? That's at least what the DLink config page mandates (if you read through the help for "LPD Printer" you will see that it is the LPR Queue Name that you need to enter).
The use of USB should be completely transparent as long as the USB host implementation in the print server works according to standards.

EDIT: the reason why you don't see a "proper" name for your printer might indeed be related to the USB to parallel port adapter and/or also the printer itself. I suspect that you need bidirectional communication functionality to query a "decent" printer name from a printer. If the printer is very old, it might not support that or the USB to parallel port adapter might not support bidirectional communication. Nonetheless I would hope that at least you can print to that printer with the settings given above.

Thanks for the info!

A LaserJet 2100m is indeed an old printer, but still works perfectly at least in internal printout tests - have had it lying around for a number of years and as the 3500 requires 4 cartridges to print, and the 2100 only one, I thought it would be interesting to get it running if I only need Black and White output around the office. At the moment I'm exploring a lot of things, as you probably have seen from various posts.

As to the cable supporting bidirectional communication, I can't say, Lars - most parts of that nature don't have a lot of specs as to the nature of their functionality. I assumed that was the case when it was purchased, but we all know what "assume" means.

Will try the SLPR approach and see what happens.

BTW, thats a very interesting discussion your having on the DOS VDM topic line. Not being a programmer, but being interested in hardware tech for decades, that topic line is teaching me a lot about the nature of USB and the programming involved.

Have never tried your USB driver set implementation in the past, but am putting it on my "to do" list in future, for experimentation. Have noted what you were doing, but will have to read up on what you have done differently, in comparison to the ArcaOS standard USB.

Best and a fine day to you, Sir!

Mark

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 04:39:19 pm »
By "old printer", I do not mean "bad printer". It's just that bidirectional communication with a printer was not standard when printers with parallel ports were first built.

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 08:03:32 pm »
Heh Lars!

By "old printer", I do not mean "bad printer". It's just that bidirectional communication with a printer was not standard when printers with parallel ports were first built.

Never took your comment in that way in the least, Lars - I think the 2100m may resemble that remark, related to lack of bi-directional communication.

Setting up SLPR as we speak, and Best!

Mark

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 05:30:11 pm »
Heh Lars!

Tried the SLPR port suggestion and no difference - when ArcaOS sends a print job to the printer it times out with "Printer off-line, jammed or out of paper".

As the tower I'm experimenting on has multiple OS partitions I decided to load a Universal Printer driver on Windows 7 and try that way of printing to the printer. Setting to RAW and port address 9103 and then alternately, setting to LPR and queue "Printer", resulted in neither printing to the HP2100.

So it does seem, Lars, that while this printer can be seen as a device on the D-Link Print Server, it is not accepting any input when a print job is sent to it - I plan to try a couple of other things (different HP2100 compatible device drivers and moving to a different port address on the print server, just in case that port is faulty for some reason) but I suspect its a communication problem, possibly parallel to USB or lack of bidirectional communications as discussed.

After Doug Clark's post, I did look around on eBay and found a plethora of JetDirect 300x print servers for sale at reasonable prices, some still new in the box, so I may try the parallel direct to network possible solution just for interest - if it doesn't work at least it will be a cheap learning experience.

But thanks for the suggestions, Lars, and to Dariusz as well. I will report back if I purchase a JetDirect 300x, or if I find anything else interesting occurs.

But a fine day to all, gentlemen, and Best!

M

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 08:32:32 pm »
Heh Doug!

Hope your having a fine Christmas season.

Mark,

The HP Jet Admin appears to not work so well with the newer HP printers - like my HP452dn.  It can show what the printer panel is showing, but gets messed up in other ways.  I am using SLR to talk to that printer.   But Jet Admin works like a dream with the older printers that have parallel ports.

You don't have to use CUPS unless there is something special about the D-LINK printer server that requires CUPS, or you need to print from an app that will only print to CUPS - like some of the QT based apps.

On the other hand CUPS will print to a printer connected to a Jet Direct print server.  I have my HP 4000 setup to print either from legacy Jet Admin or from CUPS.

Just wanted to tell you that your suggestion worked like a charm.

My used JetDorect 300X arrived from eBay late last week, and I had time to install it before Christmas, hardware wise, but just reset the box to default settings yesterday and then used telnet to give it a fixed IP address on my network, and there it was.

Was able to install through CUPS install on ArcaOS which discovered the printer automatically and configured it for use. So now have three printers working - the LaserJet 2100 on the Jet Direct and the other two on the DLink Print Server.

Obviously it was the USB adapter not recognizing the printer. I may spend a little more time at some point figuring out why,  but I can't argue with success currently .......... !

So added another check mark on my "To Do" list before the end of the year.

Hope your living somewhere warmer, Sir - woke to -42 C here on-site in Alberta today with a -52 wind chill and not expecting much warmer this week. Best of the rest of the Christmas week to you and hope 2022 brings Peace Health Prosperity and Happiness in 2022!

Mark

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 02:19:33 am »
Hey Mark!

...Hope your living somewhere warmer, Sir - woke to -42 C here on-site in Alberta today with a -52 wind chill and not expecting much warmer this week. Best of the rest of the Christmas week to you and hope 2022 brings Peace Health Prosperity and Happiness in 2022!...

Couple things:

1) Glad the suggestions have worked for you!

2) My brother-in-law lives in Winnipeg....I hear a boat-load of temperature horror stories....although today they are under a "Tropical Storm" ( :o) as it's only -16C!!!

I feel for ya though as Windsor, ON is home for me, and that's a toasty 4+C today 8)!

I can't hack the cold, and my car hobby would "suffer" as well...

Stay warm, and Cheers to you and yours in the meanwhile!

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 05:09:59 am »
Heh Dariusz!

2) My brother-in-law lives in Winnipeg....I hear a boat-load of temperature horror stories....although today they are under a "Tropical Storm" ( :o) as it's only -16C!!!

I resemble that remark.

Ask him where the North End of Winnipeg is, and you have where I started - 30 years there and 32 here in Alberta as a base, when I wasn't somewhere else in the world.

And the temperature stories are indeed true. I know the corner of Portage and Main, and its reputation as the coldest place on earth some days is not exaggerated - someone once said that Winnipeg and Siberia had the same temperature range (about 80 degrees Celsius at its extremes)

They have many cute terms for things - Alberta Clippers, Montana Lows, Arctic Highs, Heat Domes, Omega Blocks .......... haven't heard that one yet, but I'm sure I will - many friends and colleagues still there.

So I'm used to it, but this is HIGHLY unusual here in Alberta for prolonged periods .......... !

I feel for ya though as Windsor, ON is home for me, and that's a toasty 4+C today 8)!

So I've been told ........ this weekend - my wife's relatives are in Brampton, Guelph and Paris and I know the Detroit River from my days in the pipelines.

I can't hack the cold, and my car hobby would "suffer" as well...

My 1984 Firebird TransAm, which I purchased new and am refurbishing unfortunately is in cold storage on my driveway under wraps at the moment. Only a summer bird now but still enjoy driving it.

Stay warm, and Cheers to you and yours in the meanwhile!

And to you as well Sir!

Lets hope all this craziness we've all been thrown into ends soon, and the next year is the Year of New Beginnings, instead of what I've dubbed the "Year of Change" this year.

M

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 09:08:45 pm »
Mark,

Glad the jetDirect worked for you.  Since you are using  CUPS you don't need the JetAdmin software - but if you do and can't find it let me know and I will upload it.

I have friend that worked for the bureau of land management who says: "there is no such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing"  Growing up in Phoenix we had the opposite problem - 118 F/47.7C  Once you have taken all your clothes off the "inappropriate clothing" motto loses it meaning.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 11:28:14 pm »
We had about 500 people die from the last summer in the greater Vancouver, BC area. It was only about 40C but hardly anyone has air conditioning. It was brutal, I was dipping my shirt in the creek. There's a limit with removing clothing, especially if you live in an old apartment with no opening windows.
Around Christmas, it hit minus 16C and windy, and I'm sure a lot of people didn't have the right clothing to spend time outside.
A lot of it is what people are used to.
Happy New Year