Author Topic: VirtualBox and ArcaOS 5.0.7  (Read 20394 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
VirtualBox and ArcaOS 5.0.7
« on: December 08, 2021, 08:56:27 pm »
Hi

ArcaOS 5.0.7 is out and I was creating my Vanilla VirtualBox VM with a fresh install.
I have a Windows 10 host with VirtualBox 6.1.30 and I want to validate some questions that I have.

1) Video: Should I select Panorama on the install, or it does not make a different with the default gengrad for VirtualBox?
2) RAM:  I'm putting 4096 MB of RAM. I don't know if there any comments about it.
3) Audio: I selected ICH AC97, I guess it has a similar performance as Intel HD and SB with Uniaud.
4) Network: The emulated Intel Pro and PCNet adapter works, but I'm not sure if the newer Intel drivers has a better performance. Should I go with Intel?
5) Display: Video Memory: Does it makes any different putting increasing the memory (like to 128MB) ?
6) Storage: Is there any performance different between IDE and SATA on the guest ArcaOS VM?
7) Any other change that you like to tweek on VirtualBox VM config?

Let me know any of your comments if you are using ArcaOS guest on VirtualBox.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:11:10 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox and ArcaOS 5.0.7
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 09:42:29 pm »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 10:29:24 pm »
Good.

It solves the following:

3) Audio: I selected ICH AC97, I guess it has a similar performance as Intel HD and SB with Uniaud.
Arca Noae prefers Sound Blaster 16.

4) Network: The emulated Intel Pro and PCNet adapter works, but I'm not sure if the newer Intel drivers has a better performance. Should I go with Intel?
Arca Noae Prefers Intel Pro.

5) Display: Video Memory: Does it makes any different putting increasing the memory (like to 128MB) ?
Arca Noae says to leave it as default. But it does not says anything the video driver.

6) Storage: Is there any performance different between IDE and SATA on the guest ArcaOS VM?
Arca Noae prefers SATA for HDD and Optical CD-ROM

Nice. In my case I will use Intel HD for audio, since I want to keep testing any future Uniaud.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 12:05:29 am »
Hi

Just as a related thing I asked on VirtualBox forum where should someone create a new "Type / Version" on the "Create New VM" menú, so ArcaOS 5.0.x can be included.

I was pointed to this segment of the code.

It seems it is hard coded, a new one can be included. This is the one for eComStation.

Code: [Select]
422     { "OS2",     "IBM OS/2",          "OS2eCS",             "eComStation",
423       VBOXOSTYPE_ECS,             VBOXOSHINT_HWVIRTEX | VBOXOSHINT_FLOPPY,
424       1,  256,   4,  2 * _1G64, GraphicsControllerType_VBoxVGA, NetworkAdapterType_Am79C973, 1, StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE,
425       StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE, ChipsetType_PIIX3, IommuType_None, AudioControllerType_AC97, AudioCodecType_STAC9700  },

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 12:04:51 pm »
1) Video: Should I select Panorama on the install, or it does not make a different with the default gengrad for VirtualBox?

Arca Noae says to leave it as default. But it does not says anything the video driver.

The video driver is replaced by the driver from the Guest Additions. My experience is that it doesn't matter. But why let Panorama (or SNAP) create additional non-functional notebook pages in the Screen object? See the first AN screenshot of the installer, below 'ArcaOS Installation'. It has GENGRADD selected.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 07:27:08 pm »
Andreas, everyone...

The video driver is replaced by the driver from the Guest Additions. My experience is that it doesn't matter. But why let Panorama (or SNAP) create additional non-functional notebook pages in the Screen object? See the first AN screenshot of the installer, below 'ArcaOS Installation'. It has GENGRADD selected.

Agreed, unless you specifically want to use functionality provided by a specific video driver.

In my case, every desktop machine here (home) has multiple monitors attached to it. If I want my VM session to span multiple displays (so multi-head) that would require me to deploy SNAP drivers, unless of course the multi-head functionality provided by the HOST OS is sufficient and one simply works in OS/2 as if the display was a real VERY large physical display.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 11:04:07 pm »
Agreed, unless you specifically want to use functionality provided by a specific video driver.

In my case, every desktop machine here (home) has multiple monitors attached to it. If I want my VM session to span multiple displays (so multi-head) that would require me to deploy SNAP drivers, unless of course the multi-head functionality provided by the HOST OS is sufficient and one simply works in OS/2 as if the display was a real VERY large physical display.

Have you tried spanning multiple monitors in a virtual machine? I'd assume that it is mot supported but don't really know.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 11:13:30 pm »
Hi Dave,

Have you tried spanning multiple monitors in a virtual machine? I'd assume that it is mot supported but don't really know.

Nope, not personally...but I recently moved a physical XP install into a VM and was surprised to see so many options...I could have sworn that multi-head was one of them. Needless to say, since my XP image did not make use of this I wouldn't have been able to try it out anyways.

Now I'm thinking that for this kind of a thing to work, you'd have to use a fullscreen VM session to start of with.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 04:23:19 am »
Hi Dave,

Nope, not personally...but I recently moved a physical XP install into a VM and was surprised to see so many options...I could have sworn that multi-head was one of them. Needless to say, since my XP image did not make use of this I wouldn't have been able to try it out anyways.

Now I'm thinking that for this kind of a thing to work, you'd have to use a fullscreen VM session to start of with.

Looking into it, at least with Windows, it can work. Need to install the additions, which likely similar to us includes a video driver, set things up correctly in VBox and go with a full screen VM. I'd guess the VBox specific video driver has to support multiple monitors, so unlikely that SNAP would work, I'd assume it is in VBE mode rather then actually supporting your ATI card.

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 08:28:38 am »
Hi

Just as a related thing I asked on VirtualBox forum where should someone create a new "Type / Version" on the "Create New VM" menú, so ArcaOS 5.0.x can be included.

It seems it is hard coded, a new one can be included. This is the one for eComStation.

Code: [Select]
422     { "OS2",     "IBM OS/2",          "OS2eCS",             "eComStation",
423       VBOXOSTYPE_ECS,             VBOXOSHINT_HWVIRTEX | VBOXOSHINT_FLOPPY,
424       1,  256,   4,  2 * _1G64, GraphicsControllerType_VBoxVGA, NetworkAdapterType_Am79C973, 1, StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE,
425       StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE, ChipsetType_PIIX3, IommuType_None, AudioControllerType_AC97, AudioCodecType_STAC9700  },

Regards

I sent a patch to the VBox mailing list a while back asking them to add it and was ignored :(.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 05:00:09 pm »
Hi

Regards

I sent a patch to the VBox mailing list a while back asking them to add it and was ignored :(.

Hi jailbird

Maybe we can make some noise to see if ArcaOS can be included on that  VirtualBox list.

Which is the change you suggested? Can you post the code change? Does it match the ArcaOS VirtualBox recommendation Wiki?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 05:22:17 pm »
I believe Arca Noae already tried to get added to the VirtualBox list and were rejected.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 05:47:35 pm »
I believe Arca Noae already tried to get added to the VirtualBox list and were rejected.

You are right, I found this on the VirtualBox Tickets.
The rationale for not including ArcaOS is not good enough.
- "Your OS is not readily available. It's available for sale. Only. I can get every single OS out there for a test drive (a.k.a. readily available), except maybe OSX. Yours? No way! "
That is not good enough because they include Windows, IBM OS/2 that are also available for sale. So this guy complains about it, because there is no ArcaOS free demo available.

I think we should write down the template (Code snippet) to support ArcaOS 5.0 and try to create a new ticket. It was opened 4 years ago and closed 2 years ago. We need to try to see if things changed with time.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 05:57:41 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

jailbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 03:25:37 am »
Hi

Regards

Hi jailbird

Maybe we can make some noise to see if ArcaOS can be included on that  VirtualBox list.

Which is the change you suggested? Can you post the code change? Does it match the ArcaOS VirtualBox recommendation Wiki?

Regards

Here's the patch that I sent to their mailing list.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 07:36:51 am »
And you are picking the eCS icon?
Lewis is going to cut you into four :-)