OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

VirtualBox and ArcaOS 5.0.7

(1/7) > >>

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

ArcaOS 5.0.7 is out and I was creating my Vanilla VirtualBox VM with a fresh install.
I have a Windows 10 host with VirtualBox 6.1.30 and I want to validate some questions that I have.

1) Video: Should I select Panorama on the install, or it does not make a different with the default gengrad for VirtualBox?
2) RAM:  I'm putting 4096 MB of RAM. I don't know if there any comments about it.
3) Audio: I selected ICH AC97, I guess it has a similar performance as Intel HD and SB with Uniaud.
4) Network: The emulated Intel Pro and PCNet adapter works, but I'm not sure if the newer Intel drivers has a better performance. Should I go with Intel?
5) Display: Video Memory: Does it makes any different putting increasing the memory (like to 128MB) ?
6) Storage: Is there any performance different between IDE and SATA on the guest ArcaOS VM?
7) Any other change that you like to tweek on VirtualBox VM config?

Let me know any of your comments if you are using ArcaOS guest on VirtualBox.

Regards

Roderick Klein:
Does this not answer some of the questions ?

https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/arcaos/installation-planning/virtual-machine-configuration/oracle-vm-virtualbox/

Roderick

Martin Iturbide:
Good.

It solves the following:

3) Audio: I selected ICH AC97, I guess it has a similar performance as Intel HD and SB with Uniaud.
Arca Noae prefers Sound Blaster 16.

4) Network: The emulated Intel Pro and PCNet adapter works, but I'm not sure if the newer Intel drivers has a better performance. Should I go with Intel?
Arca Noae Prefers Intel Pro.

5) Display: Video Memory: Does it makes any different putting increasing the memory (like to 128MB) ?
Arca Noae says to leave it as default. But it does not says anything the video driver.

6) Storage: Is there any performance different between IDE and SATA on the guest ArcaOS VM?
Arca Noae prefers SATA for HDD and Optical CD-ROM

Nice. In my case I will use Intel HD for audio, since I want to keep testing any future Uniaud.

Regards

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

Just as a related thing I asked on VirtualBox forum where should someone create a new "Type / Version" on the "Create New VM" menĂº, so ArcaOS 5.0.x can be included.

I was pointed to this segment of the code.

It seems it is hard coded, a new one can be included. This is the one for eComStation.

--- Code: ---422     { "OS2",     "IBM OS/2",          "OS2eCS",             "eComStation",
423       VBOXOSTYPE_ECS,             VBOXOSHINT_HWVIRTEX | VBOXOSHINT_FLOPPY,
424       1,  256,   4,  2 * _1G64, GraphicsControllerType_VBoxVGA, NetworkAdapterType_Am79C973, 1, StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE,
425       StorageControllerType_PIIX4, StorageBus_IDE, ChipsetType_PIIX3, IommuType_None, AudioControllerType_AC97, AudioCodecType_STAC9700  },
--- End code ---

Regards

Andreas Schnellbacher:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 08, 2021, 08:56:27 pm ---1) Video: Should I select Panorama on the install, or it does not make a different with the default gengrad for VirtualBox?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 08, 2021, 10:29:24 pm ---5) Display: Video Memory: Does it makes any different putting increasing the memory (like to 128MB) ?
Arca Noae says to leave it as default. But it does not says anything the video driver.

--- End quote ---

The video driver is replaced by the driver from the Guest Additions. My experience is that it doesn't matter. But why let Panorama (or SNAP) create additional non-functional notebook pages in the Screen object? See the first AN screenshot of the installer, below 'ArcaOS Installation'. It has GENGRADD selected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version