OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Yanling - XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160 with OS/2 - ArcaOS 5.0.7

<< < (2/3) > >>

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Martin Iturbide on December 20, 2021, 04:28:10 pm ---It seems that you need to update the database file (PCIDEVS.TXT) for pci.exe since a lot of the devices on the report show was Unknown, but I was able to list the ones that you report are working.

--- End quote ---
If needed I can try again from the ArcaOS installation. Think there is a newer one included.

--- Quote ---Just a little question, Does this device has UEFI Bios? did you put it on "Compatibility mode"?
--- End quote ---
It has UEFI but I use the standard BIOS mode. Never ever played with UEFI with my own systems until now.

--- Quote ---Are you going to use this as a firewall? I would love if you can let me know on the future, once you finish this project and get the results, which software are you using on this ArcaOS machine and see if we can make a little article on the wiki.

--- End quote ---
Firewall - Injoy.

Usually my OS/2 Server/Firewall machine runs also Apache, Openfire, svn server, dhcpd, standard OS/2 LAN server, ftp, VNC, Weasel mail server, ...

In the meantime I tested the serial interface at the RJ45. It works as standard COM1.
Pinning RJ45

* RJ45 Pin4 & 5: GND
* RJ45 Pin3: TXD
* RJ45 Pin6: RXD
If all works well this NUC should replace my PCM9310 which regularly traps with certain network loads. PCM9310 is also a 4 core system which should have replaced the older PCM9362 but never was stable enough. So trying this NUC.

Power consumption measured at 230~ with the included power supply - 7.5W - 10.5W. Depends on load. Typical 8.6W (3 cores switched off by ACPI).

Andi B.:
After ironing out the problem with Injoy Firewall now the NUC seems quite stable. No more crashes as it was before installing ijwf.

I've also opened the bottom plate and there is a SATA connector. After making a proper power supply cable to the 4 pin power header I attached a SSD beside the already installed M.2 SATA device. Airboot detects it and booting from there is okay too.

The serial connection works with ZOC and PMDF as expected. Kernel debugger messages come out. Still on the list to test is ICAT over network. Maybe the next days.

There's also a 4 pin header on the print marked with USB2. Unfortunately I don't have a proper cable so couldn't test.

Sean Casey:
Hi Andi,

What was the problem with Injoy? 

I recently created a plain ArcaOS install with Injoy using a VMware VM with two 1-gigabit NICs (MultiMac32-MMLEM) dual core, 4 GB ram.  Using default rules with NAT, Web browsing with a lot of media (e.g., DailyMail) wasn't very crisp.  I looked at the performance related settings but couldn't find a solution.   The Injoy manual mentioned that a select few applications do not function well with NAT, such as MS NetMeeting and some streaming media and online entertainment applications.

I would like to give it another try sometime, but I would be interested in hearing how it is working for you?   I have been using Netfilters and snort v.3 configured for IPS.

Andi B.:

--- Quote ---What was the problem with Injoy?
--- End quote ---
The version I had hangs the system sometimes when running in SMP mode. Older version (4.0 or 4.1?) didn't do that. But they where slower.

Now I've data throughput about 25Mbit/s. With older ijfw version about half of that. Without the firewall I get about 50-70Mbit/s at same hardware.

Lars:

--- Quote from: Andi B. on January 05, 2022, 05:07:55 pm ---
--- Quote ---What was the problem with Injoy?
--- End quote ---
The version I had hangs the system sometimes when running in SMP mode. Older version (4.0 or 4.1?) didn't do that. But they where slower.

Now I've data throughput about 25Mbit/s. With older ijfw version about half of that. Without the firewall I get about 50-70Mbit/s at same hardware.

--- End quote ---
Andy, are you now running successfully with the latest IJFW build I gave to you on 30.12.2021 ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version