Author Topic: Yanling - XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160 with OS/2 - ArcaOS 5.0.7  (Read 8687 times)

Andi B.

• View Profile
Yanling - XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160 with OS/2 - ArcaOS 5.0.7
« on: December 18, 2021, 02:39:17 pm »
Just installed ArcaOS 5.0.7 on this little toy - https://www.banggood.com/XSK-NUC-Intel-Celeron-J3160-4GB+64GB-or-128GB-SSD-Mini-PC-Quad-Core-1_6GHz-to-2_24GHz-Pfsense-AES-NI-p-1620981.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6135319

Installation went flawless which was a big surprised to me. Only problem - this NUC does have only 2 USB connectors. So when installing from ArcaOS stick there is no connector left for a mouse. You have to do it with the keyboard only.

This NUC has 4 Intel LAN ports on the back which was one reason I bought it. Installer detects them and installs the drivers. I've to test if this NUC works stable with at least 2 NICs and heavy network traffic. Another Advantech board with 2 NICs which I'm using now for my firewall crashes now and then with heavy network load.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Yanling - XSK NUC Intel Celeron J3160 with OS/2 - ArcaOS 5.0.7
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »
Hi Andi B.

Please post the PCI.exe report, so I can include it on the wiki.

Everything is working? The 4 LAN ports? Audio?, Video?
What about the two HDMI ports, does it only works one or both display the same video? Which video driver are  you using?

About the installation, did you have at hand some USB hub to connect the mouse and keyboard on the same USB port? Maybe it can work.

Does the com port works? What is that? a serial port in RJ45 format?

Thanks for sharing.
Regards
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:42:57 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 06:44:44 pm »
Hi

I created a wiki page: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Yanling_XSK_NUC_Intel_Celeron_J3160

Regards

Update: Opps, wrong link, it had been corrected.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:02:59 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 10:03:25 am »
Hi Andi B.

Please post the PCI.exe report, so I can include it on the wiki.
Attached.

Everything is working? The 4 LAN ports? Audio?, Video?
I'm still setting up the system to my needs. Not much tested until now. All 4 LAN ports where detected and driver was installed. The seem to work. But no clue if the work stable with much load (this is the problem with my current PCM9310 and the reason why I play with this NUC) Currently I use only one port but need 2 LAN ports in the future.

What about the two HDMI ports, does it only works one or both display the same video? Which video driver are  you using?
Panorama. Install with default values. I've attached a 1600x1200 monitor which works. As expected the connector which have the monitor attached at boot time gets the video signals. Not tested with 2 displays. No reason for that. What would be the benefit of 2 displays showing the same picture? We don't have multi head since ages. There's no ancient Matrox and ATI card inside so I see no reason to test SNAP in VESA mode here.

About the installation, did you have at hand some USB hub to connect the mouse and keyboard on the same USB port? Maybe it can work.
I've made a quick test with an unpowered USB3 hub but that did not work. I don't have any other spare hubs here to test.

It's good to know that the ArcaOS installer needs the <ALT> key additionally to the usual accelerator key. F.i. use <ALT> <N> to press button ~Next.

Does the com port works? What is that? a serial port in RJ45 format?
Not tested until now but I'm confident it will work. Will do it sometimes. In BIOS the default definition is for the usual COM1 settings. In c't magazine the pinning is described for the RJ45. I definitely need it when the other things work reliable. Testing stability with 2 LAN ports is the first step for me.

Btw. mem -v show nearly 3GB. There's a setting in BIOS which defaults to 2.75GB. I set it to max. 3GB.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 04:28:10 pm »
Thanks Andi B.

I had updated the Wiki page: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Yanling_XSK_NUC_Intel_Celeron_J3160

It seems that you need to update the database file (PCIDEVS.TXT) for pci.exe since a lot of the devices on the report show was Unknown, but I was able to list the ones that you report are working.

Just a little question, Does this device has UEFI Bios? did you put it on "Compatibility mode"?

Are you going to use this as a firewall? I would love if you can let me know on the future, once you finish this project and get the results, which software are you using on this ArcaOS machine and see if we can make a little article on the wiki.

Regards.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 04:49:23 pm »
It seems that you need to update the database file (PCIDEVS.TXT) for pci.exe since a lot of the devices on the report show was Unknown, but I was able to list the ones that you report are working.
If needed I can try again from the ArcaOS installation. Think there is a newer one included.

Just a little question, Does this device has UEFI Bios? did you put it on "Compatibility mode"?
It has UEFI but I use the standard BIOS mode. Never ever played with UEFI with my own systems until now.

Are you going to use this as a firewall? I would love if you can let me know on the future, once you finish this project and get the results, which software are you using on this ArcaOS machine and see if we can make a little article on the wiki.
Firewall - Injoy.

Usually my OS/2 Server/Firewall machine runs also Apache, Openfire, svn server, dhcpd, standard OS/2 LAN server, ftp, VNC, Weasel mail server, ...

In the meantime I tested the serial interface at the RJ45. It works as standard COM1.
Pinning RJ45
  • RJ45 Pin4 & 5: GND
  • RJ45 Pin3: TXD
  • RJ45 Pin6: RXD

If all works well this NUC should replace my PCM9310 which regularly traps with certain network loads. PCM9310 is also a 4 core system which should have replaced the older PCM9362 but never was stable enough. So trying this NUC.

Power consumption measured at 230~ with the included power supply - 7.5W - 10.5W. Depends on load. Typical 8.6W (3 cores switched off by ACPI).

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 12:24:36 pm »
After ironing out the problem with Injoy Firewall now the NUC seems quite stable. No more crashes as it was before installing ijwf.

I've also opened the bottom plate and there is a SATA connector. After making a proper power supply cable to the 4 pin power header I attached a SSD beside the already installed M.2 SATA device. Airboot detects it and booting from there is okay too.

The serial connection works with ZOC and PMDF as expected. Kernel debugger messages come out. Still on the list to test is ICAT over network. Maybe the next days.

There's also a 4 pin header on the print marked with USB2. Unfortunately I don't have a proper cable so couldn't test.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 12:33:04 pm by Andi B. »

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 04:25:07 pm »
Hi Andi,

What was the problem with Injoy? 

I recently created a plain ArcaOS install with Injoy using a VMware VM with two 1-gigabit NICs (MultiMac32-MMLEM) dual core, 4 GB ram.  Using default rules with NAT, Web browsing with a lot of media (e.g., DailyMail) wasn't very crisp.  I looked at the performance related settings but couldn't find a solution.   The Injoy manual mentioned that a select few applications do not function well with NAT, such as MS NetMeeting and some streaming media and online entertainment applications.

I would like to give it another try sometime, but I would be interested in hearing how it is working for you?   I have been using Netfilters and snort v.3 configured for IPS.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 05:07:55 pm »
The version I had hangs the system sometimes when running in SMP mode. Older version (4.0 or 4.1?) didn't do that. But they where slower.

Now I've data throughput about 25Mbit/s. With older ijfw version about half of that. Without the firewall I get about 50-70Mbit/s at same hardware.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 04:38:02 am »
The version I had hangs the system sometimes when running in SMP mode. Older version (4.0 or 4.1?) didn't do that. But they where slower.

Now I've data throughput about 25Mbit/s. With older ijfw version about half of that. Without the firewall I get about 50-70Mbit/s at same hardware.
Andy, are you now running successfully with the latest IJFW build I gave to you on 30.12.2021 ?

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 11:38:22 am »
Andy, are you now running successfully with the latest IJFW build I gave to you on 30.12.2021 ?
Yes. But as mentioned per email it needs long time tests to be really sure.

Long story -
if you remember I had occasional hangs with my PCM9310. PCM9310 is my current firewall. I only tested the same installation on the NUC and saw similar/same problems. With PCM9310 I see the problem only once a week or a few times a day (dependent on usage pattern?). So to be really sure I need weeks.

With the NUC I could reproduce a problem (the same problem?) within minutes. But I tested the NUC with a 50-70Mbit/s LTE connection while the PCM9310 handles the 8Mbit/s DSL connection. And we know the problem is load/speed/??? dependent. So not 100% comparable. If this is/was all the same problem than it is definitely solved. If there is still another problem then it may show up in a few days/weeks.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 12:09:39 pm »
Well, IJFW should never hang the whole system.
But if the load becomes too massive, FXWRAP.SYS will start overflowing its internal work queues. That will lead to connections timing out because packets are being rejected (from being added to the work queue) but it should not lead to system hangs. If it does, there is still something not quite right.
But it should be clear, that in this case, you will never be able to achieve a high throughput. FXWRAP.SYS will then act like a "throttle".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:19:53 pm by Lars »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 07:58:53 pm »
Can't get ICAT over UDP to work. Maybe this is not possible with MultiMac network drivers?