OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Can 64-bit programs run on OS/2?

(1/4) > >>

Li Keqing:
While there are tons of extenders can be used to run 32-bit programs on DOS, is there any extenders can be used to run 64 programs on OS/2?
It should be technically possible since Mac OS X 10.5 supports running 64-bit apps upon a 32-bit kernel, but what about OS/2.

Dave Yeo:
No. The only way I could see it working, like on the Mac is if that 32 bit kernel has some 64 bit support.

Li Keqing:

--- Quote from: Dave Yeo on December 28, 2021, 06:48:17 am ---No. The only way I could see it working, like on the Mac is if that 32 bit kernel has some 64 bit support.

--- End quote ---
Maybe a driver can help via injecting some codes into kernel...?

Ibrahim Hakeem:
I feel the OS/4 project may be touching on this to an extent. The results are somewhat impressive but far from stable.

In my personal opinion: OS/2 will live on as a purely 32 bit OS because that's the purpose it best serves. The entire software library of OS/2 is 32 bit, all the major developers have a 32 bit mindset, and so on. If you want to run 64 bit software whilst also using OS/2 on a regular basis, your best bet may be to install it in a dual boot solution or a virtual machine.

It may also be worth mentioning, from what Arca Noae has said, anything touching the kernel seems to fall into some kind of odd legal territory with IBM and won't always be allowed.

Li Keqing:
Would it be pretty cool if OS/2 can run 64 bit programs? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version