OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Programming

Can 64-bit programs run on OS/2?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Li Keqing:

--- Quote from: Ibrahim Hakeem on December 28, 2021, 09:58:33 am ---It may also be worth mentioning, from what Arca Noae has said, anything touching the kernel seems to fall into some kind of odd legal territory with IBM and won't always be allowed.

--- End quote ---
Well... I want to know whether I just hook and insert some functions while running instead of patching the kernel offline in binary form is illegal...

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Li Keqing on December 28, 2021, 10:05:22 am ---Would it be pretty cool if OS/2 can run 64 bit programs? ;D

--- End quote ---
Why? Which programs? Which 64 bit program will work in the given 4GB address space? Moreover which 64 bit program is of any use in our restricted address space?

Guess you need to think a bit more about the constraints of our OS before dreaming about running 'any' 64 bit programs on OS/2. And think a bit more about the advantage of this specific 64 bit program which you think you need on OS/2.

Li Keqing:

--- Quote from: Andi B. on December 28, 2021, 10:59:02 am ---
--- Quote from: Li Keqing on December 28, 2021, 10:05:22 am ---Would it be pretty cool if OS/2 can run 64 bit programs? ;D

--- End quote ---
Why? Which programs? Which 64 bit program will work in the given 4GB address space? Moreover which 64 bit program is of any use in our restricted address space?

Guess you need to think a bit more about the constraints of our OS before dreaming about running 'any' 64 bit programs on OS/2. And think a bit more about the advantage of this specific 64 bit program which you think you need on OS/2.

--- End quote ---
Exactly there is no 64 bit program on OS/2 yet, but more and more softwares on other platforms is dropping 32 bit support, and the most common used Linux distros are also dropping x86-32 support.
Some of the greatest developers are porting Qt5-based browser to OS/2 platform, right? AFAK the blink engine used in that browser is a giant memory eater, will 4GB address space be enough for future usage?
It's not necessary to support 64 bit or some other 'new' technology although, Arca Noae is working on UEFI support even while there are lots of virtualization solution to run OS/2 on modern PCs. Should OS/2 just stick to 4.52 and say 'yeah, we don't need to move on'? I can't agree.

Andi B.:

--- Quote from: Li Keqing on December 28, 2021, 11:44:03 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Exactly there is no 64 bit program on OS/2 yet, but more and more softwares on other platforms is dropping 32 bit support, and the most common used Linux distros are also dropping x86-32 support.
Some of the greatest developers are porting Qt5-based browser to OS/2 platform, right? AFAK the blink engine used in that browser is a giant memory eater, will 4GB address space be enough for future usage?
It's not necessary to support 64 bit or some other 'new' technology although, Arca Noae is working on UEFI support even while there are lots of virtualization solution to run OS/2 on modern PCs. Should OS/2 just stick to 4.52 and say 'yeah, we don't need to move on'? I can't agree.

--- End quote ---

I now think you don't wanted to ask 'Can 64-bit programs run on OS/2' but 'can OS/2 be extended with a 64 bit *nix compatible subsystem'. Or 'can 64 bit *nix applications which are 64 bit for good reasons be ported to OS/2'. --> No.

Li Keqing:

--- Quote from: Andi B. on December 28, 2021, 01:29:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: Li Keqing on December 28, 2021, 11:44:03 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I now think you don't wanted to ask 'Can 64-bit programs run on OS/2' but 'can OS/2 be extended with a 64 bit *nix compatible subsystem'. Or 'can 64 bit *nix applications which are 64 bit for good reasons be ported to OS/2'. --> No.

--- End quote ---
No, I think the '*nix compatible system' and EMX are both s*ck, it should only be a temporary transient proposal in my opinion. Why don't I use Linux, BSD or Mac directly?

In fact I just be inspired by the rare 'OS/2 Warp 3.0 PowerPC Edition'.
It uses an advanced microkernel design, it's portable like *nix and Windows NT, it can run DOS and Win16 applications, it uses the de facto standard and extendable ELF format instead of the proprietary LX which can only contain 32 bit codes.
It's a pretty powerful OS/2 with tons of bugs and glitches, but I do really really like it.
I hope it can do more than it currently can, 64 bit computing is a direction I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version