Author Topic: VirtualBox and Warpin (wic.exe)  (Read 12373 times)

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
Re: VirtualBox and Warpin (wic.exe)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 04:36:45 pm »
I built the Guest Additions WPI package for VB 6.1.28, removed the version that came with ArcaOS 5.0.7, and installed version 6.1.28. The process went smoothly, but it's still too early to tell if this will resolve the mouse freeze issue in the ArcaOS VM. I did confirm that some of the files had changed between the two versions, but the VBOXMOUSE driver was not one of them.

One other thing I've discovered: the mouse in ArcaOS is virtually unusable without the Guest Additions. I was able to open a 4OS session and the Computer folder on the Desktop, but from there I had to use the keyboard.

Thanks to every one who helped me get the WPI package built. I'm working on a REXX script to streamline the process I used, and I'll post a write up and the script here.

May all of you have a happy and blessed new year!
Bennie Nelson

Sgeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 12:53:30 am »
May I ask how the VirtualBox Additions WarpIN installer is going?

I've been contemplating attempting to make my own. I'm new to OS/2 though. Would probably just try to package up the current Additions and describe how to do so. Knowing me, it would go out of date quickly.

I'd probably just use LIBPATH to get the VirtualBox drivers to be used instead of the preinstalled one, and I don't know how supported that actually is (seems to work on OS/2 Warp 4.52, at least). I also am unsure of when the libc stuff should be used or not.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 07:27:56 pm »

A few years ago, I buit a WapIN installer for VBox additions. It was easy to do, but totally useless.

There were two major problems:

1) You cannot get the files until after they are released. Meaning you need to watch for an update, extract the files, turn them into a WarpIN installer, within minutes of a new VBox being released.

2) Oracle has no interest in adding anything to their distribution of VBox, so users need to get the WaprIN installer from somewhere else.

A more minor problem, is that installing the addirions is not suited to using a WarpIN installer. It is better done with a REXX script. I have a REXX script that does part of the job (just do what the instructions say to do), but I haven't updated my script to handle the shared folder support.

I'd probably just use LIBPATH to get the VirtualBox drivers to be used instead of the preinstalled one, and I don't know how supported that actually is (seems to work on OS/2 Warp 4.52, at least).

That is okay, if you always make sure that the code is available, but if the CD (or image) gets unmounted, it could be trouble. Drivers don't follow LIBPATH anyway, so other things need to be done to get all of it done properly. Probably easier to just follow the instructions, and do it properly in the first place.

I also am unsure of when the libc stuff should be used or not.

LIBC should onlu be handled by RPM/YUM (use ANPM to simplify that). The LIBC stuff, that is in the additions, is usually out of date, and installing that can down level what is already installed. Remember that you are updating stuff in OS/2, not the host, and you need to use OS/2 tools to do it, using the additions (other than LIBC) from the VBox additions CD (or image).

Also remeber, that the OS/2 additions are not necessarilly updated at each VBox relese, even though the version might change. That doesn't really matter, you should still do the update, to be sure that you have the latest stuff.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 09:29:09 pm »
An odd question.  Is there a version of vBox that runs reliably on an OS/2 host with only usb2/3 ports?  The usb controller chip on my Ryzen gen 3 unit is a usb3 controller with usb2 pass through and I have discovered that it doesn't like usb1.1 add in cards, no slots to plug them in.

Bennie Nelson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 08:31:10 pm »

I've been contemplating attempting to make my own. I'm new to OS/2 though. Would probably just try to package up the current Additions and describe how to do so. Knowing me, it would go out of date quickly.

I'd probably just use LIBPATH to get the VirtualBox drivers to be used instead of the preinstalled one, and I don't know how supported that actually is (seems to work on OS/2 Warp 4.52, at least). I also am unsure of when the libc stuff should be used or not.
Sorry it's taken me a while to get to this. I recently upgraded VirtualBox and used the installer. It worked fine, but I made some usability tweaks to it. I need to package it in a Zip file with a suitable Use-at-your-own-risk disclaimer. :) I'd like to get that uploaded to the forum soon to see what others make of it.

Thanks for asking about it.
Bennie Nelson