Author Topic: Simple Browser revisited.  (Read 42139 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Simple Browser revisited.
« on: December 29, 2021, 04:30:20 am »
Starting a new thread about the latest simple browser as the last one got long and wandering.
I just realized that if you install qt5-qtwebengine-examples 5.15.2-1 (netlabs-rel) along with its dependencies (I'd suggest the corresponding debuginfo files as well), we get,
@unixroot\usr\lib\qt5\examples\webenginewidgets\simplebrowser\widgets\simplebrowser\simplebrowser.exe.
This is a newer one then the one that escaped and at least supports copy and paste for passwords and such. Still a simple browser with no bookmarks, url completion and so on but it displays a lot of sites that our other browsers puke on.
You will have to mark as much to load high as possible. I started with (in @unixroot\usr\lib)
Code: [Select]
highmem -c qt5*dll
Then discovered trying to play a youtube video consistently crashed with a sigtrap from code protecting allocating too much memory or such, so I did,
Code: [Select]
highmem -c av*dll
to mark all the FFmpeg DLL's to load high, this includes the ones used by Mozilla, probably a good idea on its own. There's likely a few more I haven't got around to as they're small.
The browser is still unstable, and it is slow, too slow on this 3.1Ghz I5 to play Youtube videos. Still for looking at the occasional page, it seems to work.
I'd also advise setting the VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT as high as possible, 3072 here. The first simplebrowser came with a script that set a couple of environment variables, "KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" which is likely already set in ArcaOS and "QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS=--single-process" which could be set in the program object. I've tried with and without the "--single-process" and didn't notice much difference in my limited testing.
As said, it is crashy and has crashed silently a few times as well as locking up the computer. Also depressing when sites still complain that it is old and unsupported, while rendering the page fine.

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Simple Browser revisited.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 05:46:17 pm »
David where do we get this if we are allowed?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »
David where do we get this if we are allowed?

It's an RPM, use ANPM or do "yum install  qt5-qtwebengine-examples"

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 03:25:15 pm »
Thank you Dave!

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 04:56:04 pm »
Thanks Dave. I'm trying it right now.

Just a little note. The simplebrowser.exe gets installed on "X:\USR\LIB\QT5\EXAMPLES\WEBENGINEWIDGETS\SIMPLEBROWSER" , so it is not on the path.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:30:41 pm »
Starting a new thread about the latest simple browser as the last one got long and wandering.
I just realized that if you install qt5-qtwebengine-examples 5.15.2-1 (netlabs-rel) along with its dependencies (I'd suggest the corresponding debuginfo files as well),...............

Hi, I'd like to ask if someone of you can see the reason why have no such rpm package listed in netlabs-rel category (my ANPM connects and download packages database as started).
Do you think I'm missing some important update of ANPM version so that it can't sincronize with the latest repository database?
Thank you

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 04:07:26 pm »
Hi Mauro.

My only guess is that the package is only for the "pentium4" platform and your installation is for the "i686".

[C:\]yum list qt5-qtwebengine-examples
arcanoae-rel         | 1.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel          | 2.9 kB  00:00
netlabs-rel/primary_ | 2.6 MB  00:03     - ] 476 kB/s | 2.4 MB  00:00 ETA
Installed Packages
qt5-qtwebengine-examples.pentium4            5.15.2-1.oc00             installed

For what I understand Qt5 and all new stuff will be compiled for "pentium4".

Check you are using the latest ANPM (1.0.7). Open ANPM and select "Manage  - Platform..." and check that pentium4 is on top of the list.

Check again to see if that helped in something.

The file is also here: http://rpm.netlabs.org/release/00/pentium4/pentium4/qt5-qtwebengine-examples-5.15.2-1.oc00.pentium4.rpm

Regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:12:29 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 04:34:25 pm »
Hi Mauro.

My only guess is that the package is only for the "pentium4" platform and your installation is for the "i686".

Right Martin, that was the point, only i686 platform setted, now I've added P4 and found what I was looking for.
Never noticed this platform separation in ANPM before, I'm pretty sure they were given both by default at least in a previous ANPM version, do not understand the reason for switch having just one at ANPM start.
Thank you

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 05:07:00 pm »
ok, installed both qt5-qtwebengine-examples and qt5-qtwebengine-debuginfo with yum install command because using ANPM GUI stopped the installation at the end with a long list of missing packages, while the yum install command completed the process (then also appearing as packages installed in ANPM GUI).
But could not start simplebrowser.exe, in the image you can see the error message I get.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 06:04:24 pm »
Looks like you have to upgrade libgcc1 to 9.2.0-5, possibly libstdc++ too to the same version. My ones are still i686.
As for the need to use the Pentium M repo for the simplebrowser, it seems to need SSE2 support.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 06:41:50 pm »
Looks like you have to upgrade libgcc1 to 9.2.0-5, possibly libstdc++ too to the same version.

Hi Dave, among the installed packages I have libgcc (not libgcc1) 9.2.0-5 for Pentium 4, and also libstdc++ 9.2.0-5 for Pentium 4 , while in the downloadable package I have libgcc1 4.9.2.1-3. If I go for yum install libgcc1 as terminal command, the answer is "the package libgcc1-4.9.2.1-3.oC00.pentium4 is made obsolete by libgcc to 9.2.0-5.oC00.pentium4 which is already installed, nothing to do" . I read this situation as if I already have what needed

My ones are still i686.
As for the need to use the Pentium M repo for the simplebrowser, it seems to need SSE2 support.
do not exactly understand if is there something I should do here.
Thank you
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:48:08 pm by mauro »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 11:34:32 pm »
Sorry, I should have said libgcc, stupid memory of mine.
If they're up to date, not sure why you got the sys2070, it is always a missing export in the 2nd DLL listed IIRC.
Possibilities include not rebooting after upgrading, other versions of the DLL installed, or perhaps a bad RPM install. You could try reinstalling libgcc and libstdc++ and then rebooting.
About the SSE requirement, not sure if yuo have to do anything. You could change the QT5 libs to Pentium4 by right clicking them in ANPM and using the Get Specific Release menu.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 01:42:33 pm »
Sorry, I should have said libgcc, stupid memory of mine.
If they're up to date, not sure why you got the sys2070, it is always a missing export in the 2nd DLL listed IIRC.
Possibilities include not rebooting after upgrading, other versions of the DLL installed, or perhaps a bad RPM install. You could try reinstalling libgcc and libstdc++ and then rebooting.
About the SSE requirement, not sure if yuo have to do anything. You could change the QT5 libs to Pentium4 by right clicking them in ANPM and using the Get Specific Release menu.

Doesn't the error lie inside stdcpp6.dll, which is part of the package libstdc++ ? It reports a problem with the procedure "GCC1.___gthread_os2_mutex_lock" inside stdcpp6.dll.
Gcc1.dll (which is part of the package libgcc) does not look like the culprit.

It may indeed be that the problem is being caused by another version of stdcpp6.dll somewhere else on mauro's  system.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 02:22:00 pm »
ok, I have restored a clean virtual machine at the state just before to begin this task, and have started again first with the Dave's last suggestions (reinstalling libgcc and libstdc++ at their latest version for Pentium 4 platform), then qt5-qtwebengine-examples and qt5-qtwebengine-debuginfo. Each installation process made by yum install, and confirmed as successfully. Rebooted the system after each one.
Now I get a different kind of error details, as per attached screenshot.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 03:13:37 pm »
ok, I have restored a clean virtual machine at the state just before to begin this task, and have started again first with the Dave's last suggestions (reinstalling libgcc and libstdc++ at their latest version for Pentium 4 platform), then qt5-qtwebengine-examples and qt5-qtwebengine-debuginfo. Each installation process made by yum install, and confirmed as successfully. Rebooted the system after each one.
Now I get a different kind of error details, as per attached screenshot.

That new error message indicates that qtweb5c.dll cannot find the procedure LIBCX0._shmem_close .

Just guessing now: did you perhaps *only* install qt5-qtwebengine-examples and qt5-qtwebengine-debuginfo ? That is not enough! You should install these packages (although the first one is already enough - the debuginfo is only needed when writing a support ticket) *in addition to* a normal install of qt5. At the very least you need the packages qt5-qtbase , qt5-qtbase-gui , qt5-qtbase-common. Plus additional dependencies for libc, libcx and many more.