Author Topic: Simple Browser revisited.  (Read 42151 times)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Simple Browser revisited.
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2022, 12:28:31 am »
Did you look in x:\var\log\app for trp files, X: is likely your boot drive. Also check popupos2.log.
Also have you set your VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT to a high number, 3072 ideally, maybe 2560.

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2022, 12:51:27 pm »
thanks for the hint, the reason was an older NSS. Now Firefox doesn't work anymore but simplebrowser works.
Once it crashed in pmmerge.dll and a reboot was required.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:40:11 pm by mike »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2022, 02:13:28 pm »
thanks for the hint, the reason was an older NSS.

could you please explain the details? I would try to resurvive the simplebrowser installation which actually opens the GUI but then remains mostly inoperable

Now Firefox doesnt work anymore but simplebrowser works.
Once it chrashed in pmmerge.dll and a reboot was required.

after all pakages + dll necessary installation for simplebrowser, my Firefox did not start anymore, also posted in this thread, It returned working again after having installed libvpx-legacy-4 by ANPM

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2022, 03:00:20 pm »

could you please explain the details? I would try to resurvive the simplebrowser installation which actually opens the GUI but then remains mostly inoperable

I just updated NSS from 3.23.0 to 3.47.0. That did fix the startup crash here. Is there a known mechanism in rpm how to have different version of one dll installed that is required be different apps?

Now Firefox doesnt work anymore but simplebrowser works.
Once it chrashed in pmmerge.dll and a reboot was required.

after all pakages + dll necessary installation for simplebrowser, my Firefox did not start anymore, also posted in this thread, It returned working again after having installed libvpx-legacy-4 by ANPM

Funny thing is that after installing libvpx-legacy-4 firefox works again,  thanks  ;)  Can somebody tell if audio playback works in simplebrowser?

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2022, 05:12:49 pm »
Yes, sound works here in the Simplebrowser. You might need "KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" set in your environment. Might already be set for Firefox.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2022, 07:51:50 pm »

I just updated NSS from 3.23.0 to 3.47.0. That did fix the startup crash here.

very well; this now makes my simplebrowser opening most of url pages (only in Incognito Window mode). *Sometime during browsing the system traps but is an effective improvement from the previous situation

*Edit: traps all the times after some minutes of browsing
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:17:35 pm by mauro »

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2022, 08:03:11 pm »
Yes, sound works here in the Simplebrowser. You might need "KAI_AUTOMODE=DART" set in your environment. Might already be set for Firefox.

"SYS1195 The statement KAI_AUTOMODE on line 188 of the config.sys is not recognized. Line 188 is ignored.  Press Enter to continue"
Have to say that I tried to work with this some time ago for fixing the multimedia play without audio in Firefox -while no problem with a media player-.  It has something to do with the audio drivers compatibility in Virtualbox, it is setted on Suondblaster 16 which I believe are the standard audio drivers given with OS2, I did not succeed to obtain any result with the Uniaud drivers installation (KAI_AUTOMODE goes with Uniaud right?) even changing the virtualbox audio filter possibilities
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:11:02 pm by mauro »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 09:27:23 pm »
You need, SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART in your config.sys, the SET command puts it in your environment. It is actually for libkai, to quote, "K Audio Interface v2.1.0. DART/UNIAUD implementation library." it can use DART or Uniaud but the Uniaud support is broken.
The browser itself seems to be awfully memory hungry. Might help to SET QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS=--single-process.
As for needing to use incognito mode, sounds like your profile is damaged. Delete the files in home,
".local/share/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine" and ".cache/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine". Without the quotes, home is usually in your boot disk under x:\home.

mauro

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 02:57:01 pm »
You need, SET KAI_AUTOMODE=DART in your config.sys, the SET command puts it in your environment. It is actually for libkai, to quote, "K Audio Interface v2.1.0. DART/UNIAUD implementation library." it can use DART or Uniaud but the Uniaud support is broken.

yes, my mistake, I missed to type SET in the command line. Now system boots with no error messages, but still no audio when playing video in Firefox (or simplebrowser now)

The browser itself seems to be awfully memory hungry. Might help to SET QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS=--single-process.

this makes simplebrowser behaving as described by Tom before: the browser window quit itself just two seconds away from opening.  Better without this line, in my system.

As for needing to use incognito mode, sounds like your profile is damaged.
 Delete the files in home,
".local/share/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine" and ".cache/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine". Without the quotes, home is usually in your boot disk under x:\home.

found C:/.local/share/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine and removed all contents inside QtWebEngine directory (subfolders and files inside, then rebooted, now all same as before)  but no path exists in my system as C:/.cache/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:37:16 pm by mauro »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 05:05:48 pm »
As for needing to use incognito mode, sounds like your profile is damaged.
 Delete the files in home,

found C:/.local/share/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine and removed all contents inside QtWebEngine directory (subfolders and files inside, then rebooted, now all same as before)  but no path exists in my system as C:/.cache/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine.

In the testversion from 1 year ago was a script cleanup-caches.sh to do that. Looking inside that script I see the directories %HOME%/.local/share/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine and %HOME%/.cache/QtExamples/simplebrowser/QtWebEngine . So it depends upon where your environment variable HOME points to. Usually not the root directory of a drive.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2022, 06:46:38 pm »
Exactly, these are in your home directory. To find it, at a cmd line do "set home" without the quotes
Code: [Select]
H:\tmp>set home
HOME=W:\Home

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2022, 04:23:42 pm »
Hi

Does anybody knows if Qt5 or the Simple Browser is working to access the OS/2 Uniaud Mic (or audio input)? I know that an USB camera don't work.

I would like to test if some Audio webmeeting browser tools.
Jitsi ( https://meet.jit.si/ ) crashes the browser when you want to login to a chat room. I don't know if you know some other that are mostly web native.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2022, 05:15:26 pm »
 Hi Martin,

Not likely, as audio input is not implemented in chromium yet... see here:

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qtwebengine-chromium-os2/issues/28

Regards,