Author Topic: [Solved] Iomega ZIP 100 IDE  (Read 25942 times)

Igor

• View Profile
[Solved] Iomega ZIP 100 IDE
« on: December 30, 2021, 10:48:35 pm »
I have iomega zip 100 with IDE interface. I want to access the disk.
I installed an additional IDE controller and drivers:

Code: [Select]
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS /A:0 /BM /U:0 /A:1 /I /V
BASEDEV=OS2AHCI.ADD
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT /A:0 /U:0 /TYPE:Z /EJ /V

The system is successfully loaded.
I get a report:

R1.8.15      /!BIOS /A:0 /BM /U:0 /A:1 /I /V
            Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.8.15
Controller:0  Port:D020 IRQ:10  Status:OK
  JMicron JMB363 PATA host (197B:2363 rev:03) on PCI 2:0.0#1
 Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI PIO0
  Model:IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI             14.A   

And

0/m: IOMEGA  ZIP 100       ATAPI              14.A    b                     
Port D020/D012, Irq 16, ATAPI, PIO0

0/s: (not present)

However, the drive letter in the system is not assigned and contact the device cannot be applied.

What can be done to get a drive letter in the system?
According to my memories, once a long time, this device worked in the OS / 2 system.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 02:10:36 am by Martin Iturbide »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: Iomega ZIP 100 IDE
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 11:26:41 pm »
I am guessing, that you need to mount a disk, and use LVM to assign a drive letter (same as required by USB sticks). That would need to be done for every disk, if it is actually the answer.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 12:43:20 am »
I am guessing, that you need to mount a disk, and use LVM to assign a drive letter (same as required by USB sticks). That would need to be done for every disk, if it is actually the answer.
Thank you for the response. LVM does not allow you to create a volume on the disk, although the disk itself sees. Similarly, it displays flash drives that are missing. Of course, the drive in the drive is pre-inserted.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 01:14:32 am »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 03:39:03 pm »
I used those back in the day. I remember that the hardware doesn't last long.

Only DaniS506 and DaniATAPI are needed, and no special command flags were needed, but that was when DaniS506 handled the hard drives. Now with OS2AHCI, there is more complexity. You've shown that the controller is loaded.

Did you mention the master/slave status of the Zip drive?

I made some notes, but they are from long ago: http://www.blondeguy.com/ZipInstallEssay.html
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:55:27 pm »
Perhaps https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/daniadsk.zip will help?
I installed this old Daniel driver. It did not help. The driver used by me for several years is newer and there is a disk icon in LVM, but it is supposedly not inserted.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 03:58:39 pm »
Did you mention the master/slave status of the Zip drive?

My ZIP-drive is set as a master drive.

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 12:46:10 am »
I seem to vaguely remember that with newer versions of DANIS506.ADD the DANIATAP.FLT is no longer needed.
What also seems odd that one driver reports use of IRQ 10 and the other of IRQ 16 for the very same controller. Just try without the FLT driver.

Doug Clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 06:49:48 am »
Igor,

I have an IDE Zip disk on an eComStation machine.  The motherboard does not have an IDE interface so I am using an expansion card with an IDE interface.  I have attached my config.sys in hopes it might be helpful.  I do not remember making any changes to my config.sys in order for the drive, or expansion card, to work - but it was a few years ago.

Zip disks function like USB thumb drives, in that a drive letter is not assigned until you insert a disk and click on Refresh Removable Media.  Likewise you need to "eject" the disk using the command line or the WPS before removing the disk.

I have about 10 zip disks from the mid 1990s that I recently searched looking for some old software.  All the disks were readable.  Most are formatted as FAT but at least one is formatted HPFS.

My memory of how I formatted some as HPFS was to insert the disk before booting the machine; the system thought it was a fixed drive at that point.  Once again this was many years ago and I may be remembering incorrectly and that might have been on a SCSI based Zip drive - if it makes a difference.

Good luck

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 06:47:36 pm »
I seem to vaguely remember that with newer versions of DANIS506.ADD the DANIATAP.FLT is no longer needed.
What also seems odd that one driver reports use of IRQ 10 and the other of IRQ 16 for the very same controller. Just try without the FLT driver.

If you remove the Daniatapi, the disk icon in the minijm disappears.
Error with interrupts is a well-known Daniel error. There in one case does not correctly display interrupts if their number is more 15.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 06:53:35 pm »
Igor,

I have an IDE Zip disk on an eComStation machine.  The motherboard does not have an IDE interface so I am using an expansion card with an IDE interface.  I have attached my config.sys in hopes it might be helpful.  I do not remember making any changes to my config.sys in order for the drive, or expansion card, to work - but it was a few years ago.

Thank you for your help. I will try to translate the device into floppy mode and then inform about the result.

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 02:17:06 pm »
Just guessing out of nowhere, based on my own IDE-ZIP100 memories with DOS:

Did you try booting the machine with a ZIP diskette in the drive?
I remember, DOS never gave a letter to the drive, but the diskette, when using the IDE ZIP100 drive.

Perhaps it's the same with OS/2. Leave the disk inserted, and restart. - Does it have a drive letter now?

The USB ZIP100 however, does indeed still assign you a drive letter, when inserting a diskette while the operating system is already fully booted.

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 12:57:47 pm »

Did you try booting the machine with a ZIP diskette in the drive?
I remember, DOS never gave a letter to the drive, but the diskette, when using the IDE ZIP100 drive.

Perhaps it's the same with OS/2. Leave the disk inserted, and restart. - Does it have a drive letter now?
I tried to download the operating system having a diskette in the drive. This does not result.
I changed the definition of the device as a floppy disk. It did not help, and I recognize that the drive may simply spoil during this time. Until now, I have no opportunity to check the device's performance. And will this opportunity arise - it is not known.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 05:39:02 pm »
Wonder if a bootable Linux stick would recognize it?

Igor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 12:52:02 pm »
Wonder if a bootable Linux stick would recognize it?
If possible, a link to where to get and how to make such a stick.