OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Web applications

The MicroWeb DOS web browser

<< < (2/7) > >>

Olafur Gunnlaugsson:
VDOSTCP.SYS emulates a Windows TCP/IP stack interface, MicroWeb uses a DOS TCP/IP stack (mTCP) that relies on DOS packet drivers, which are different to the Windows packet drivers, they are a bit more like early Unix an Linux packet drivers. It might be possible to configure the program to use the native stack .

It is possible to run DOS packet drivers in a DOS session if you disable the DOS/2 networking, but not recommended, FTP Software (the company) also sold a TCP/IP stack for OS/2 that had a VDD that allowed DOS sessions to use DOS packets via emulation, but alas that is impossible to get hold of these days. The Essex Systems stack also had some VDD trickery, but I cannot remember it it supported the FTPS packets specification.

You can also try the Archane browser, it used to work with Windows sockets/packets in an OS/2 DOS window, it saw some updates in the last two years.
http://www.glennmcc.org/arachne/

Dave Yeo:
Also found a port of Dillo at https://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk-dos/files/Applications/Binary%20versions%20of%20FLTK%20applications/DILLODOS-302b.zip supports graphics and HTTPS but once again fails due to no packet driver found.

Sean Casey:

--- Quote from: Olafur Gunnlaugsson on January 05, 2022, 02:27:38 am ---It is possible to run DOS packet drivers in a DOS session if you disable the DOS/2 networking, but not recommended, FTP Software (the company) also sold a TCP/IP stack for OS/2 that had a VDD that allowed DOS sessions to use DOS packets via emulation, but alas that is impossible to get hold of these days. The Essex Systems stack also had some VDD trickery, but I cannot remember it it supported the FTPS packets specification.

--- End quote ---

Is it true these older OS/2 TCP/IP and NetBIOS over TCP implementations used proprietary APIs which limited their use to only the network applications/services that were distributed with these packages? 

Martin Iturbide:
Thanks for feedback.

So, MicroWeb DOS web browser can not connect to the internet because it uses "mTCP" and those does not works on our VDM DOS sessions, and it seems there is not as easy as change a VDM DOS settings to make it work.

I will try to contact the mTCP author to see if he has some time to try OS/2 on some VM and see if he wants to support DOS VDM too.

Thanks.

Martin Iturbide:
Hi

I got this reply from Mike, the mTCP author.

--- Quote ---I wrote mTCP to bring networking to my old computers.  Think about machines like the original IBM PC (1981), the PCjr (1983) and the PC AT.  mTCP works fine in an emulated machine, and possible even in a virtual DOS machine.  But it needs a packet driver which has direct and exclusive access to a network card.  And it provides its own TCP/IP implementation.

If you want to use the networking available in a DOS VDM the programs need to be rewritten to use those networking APIs directly.  I don't think that is a huge problem, but some quick Googling did not give me any information on what that network API even looks like.  Do you have any links on what the network API for DOS VDMs looks like?
--- End quote ---

Do you know by chance the API that the DOS VDM uses for networking?

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version