OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Setup & Installation

OS2DASD hangs after 1st stage installation

(1/4) > >>

Stefano:
I'm trying to install ECS 2.2 on an old Acer laptop with a Turion 64 CPU, a 250Gb SSD disk connected to an ATI IXP IDE/SATA controller.
Everything goes smooth until the first stage installation. When the box reboots it hangs loading OS2DASD.DMD module.
Previously I tried with latest Arca 5.0.7 and situation was worse since I couldn't even create or manage any partition. Basically after Arca OS loaded initial graphical installer it was pretty impossible for disktool to get disk geometry.

Neil Waldhauer:
Did you wipe the hard drive?

Stefano:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on January 13, 2022, 04:07:28 am ---Did you wipe the hard drive?

--- End quote ---

Yes I did.
I tested other disks as well. One 80Gb magnetic and another 60Gb SSD. Same stuff. Problem seems to be related to a combination of controller/disk driver. Other than Arca where I couldn't load disktool, with ECS 2.2 first stage installation process goes smooth from the beginning. The disk is recognised, I create and format a 2Gb HPFS partition, and files are suddenly copied to filesystem. Problem arise at first HD boot where it stops at OS2DASD. I tried all the available parameters with both OS2AHCI and DANIS506 without success. I've used the old OS2 Boot Manager, then Air BOOT: same result. I'm wondering if there's a way of setting OS2DASD in debug mode or something similar.
Any help, suggestion would be very appreciated

Neil Waldhauer:
You should be able to run disktool. If not, if you try the full DFSee, it should run and tell you a lot about the disk. I don't know of a helpful OS2DASD mode.

Stefano:

--- Quote from: Neil Waldhauer on January 13, 2022, 03:32:22 pm ---You should be able to run disktool. If not, if you try the full DFSee, it should run and tell you a lot about the disk. I don't know of a helpful OS2DASD mode.

--- End quote ---

Ok. Let me be more clear.
2 Boxes same hard disk.

Computer 1 (the one with issue):
Dfsee correctly manages disk/partition by loading OS from USB stick or DVD, but hangs after OS2DASD is loaded from hard disk.

Computer 2:
OS2DASD loads normally (from HD) and 2nd part installation continues as expected.

I guess issue should be related to such kind of incompatibility between OS2AHCI or DANIS506, OS2DASD and this specific ATI IXP IDE/AHCI controller.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version