Author Topic: OS2DASD hangs after 1st stage installation  (Read 10218 times)

Stefano

• View Profile
OS2DASD hangs after 1st stage installation
« on: January 12, 2022, 08:46:42 pm »
I'm trying to install ECS 2.2 on an old Acer laptop with a Turion 64 CPU, a 250Gb SSD disk connected to an ATI IXP IDE/SATA controller.
Everything goes smooth until the first stage installation. When the box reboots it hangs loading OS2DASD.DMD module.
Previously I tried with latest Arca 5.0.7 and situation was worse since I couldn't even create or manage any partition. Basically after Arca OS loaded initial graphical installer it was pretty impossible for disktool to get disk geometry.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:49:52 pm by Stefano »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: OS2DASD hangs after 1st stage installation
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 04:07:28 am »
Did you wipe the hard drive?
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 10:08:12 am »
Did you wipe the hard drive?

Yes I did.
I tested other disks as well. One 80Gb magnetic and another 60Gb SSD. Same stuff. Problem seems to be related to a combination of controller/disk driver. Other than Arca where I couldn't load disktool, with ECS 2.2 first stage installation process goes smooth from the beginning. The disk is recognised, I create and format a 2Gb HPFS partition, and files are suddenly copied to filesystem. Problem arise at first HD boot where it stops at OS2DASD. I tried all the available parameters with both OS2AHCI and DANIS506 without success. I've used the old OS2 Boot Manager, then Air BOOT: same result. I'm wondering if there's a way of setting OS2DASD in debug mode or something similar.
Any help, suggestion would be very appreciated

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 03:32:22 pm »
You should be able to run disktool. If not, if you try the full DFSee, it should run and tell you a lot about the disk. I don't know of a helpful OS2DASD mode.

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:37:36 am »
You should be able to run disktool. If not, if you try the full DFSee, it should run and tell you a lot about the disk. I don't know of a helpful OS2DASD mode.

Ok. Let me be more clear.
2 Boxes same hard disk.

Computer 1 (the one with issue):
Dfsee correctly manages disk/partition by loading OS from USB stick or DVD, but hangs after OS2DASD is loaded from hard disk.

Computer 2:
OS2DASD loads normally (from HD) and 2nd part installation continues as expected.

I guess issue should be related to such kind of incompatibility between OS2AHCI or DANIS506, OS2DASD and this specific ATI IXP IDE/AHCI controller.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:39:18 am by Stefano »

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 03:36:54 pm »
Either you'll need to create an AN support incident or hope that someone make a debug version of OS2DASD.

You can boot from a DFSee stick (or CD) and see if FreeDOS or Puppy Linux can tell more about the faulty controller.

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 05:22:59 pm »
Either you'll need to create an AN support incident or hope that someone make a debug version of OS2DASD.

This is what I've done with Arca. And I closed ticket after I had feeling they were taking time.

You can boot from a DFSee stick (or CD) and see if FreeDOS or Puppy Linux can tell more about the faulty controller.

I've installed and played with many Linux distros and BSD flavours. No problem with them nor issues. I guess it's more related to the way OS2 manages this specific combination. Don't forget that box is old and Phoenix BIOS is not perfect. Like all Acer Aspire Turion based line where unless you find a way to show advanced configuration no way to switch from AHCI to IDE.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 06:37:22 pm »
I see three problems here.

First, Arca Noae cannot support eCS, in any flavor. ArcaOS is a different version of OS/2, and they are only licensed to work with what is in ArcaOS, for use with ArcaOS. They can distribute drivers, that were not produced by IBM, for use with any version of OS/2.

Second, it appears that the machine is not compatible with the requirements for ArcaOS. Is it possible, that there is a BIOS setting that prevents anything from writing to track 0? If so, make sure that it is turned OFF.

Third, OS2DASD.DMD has not been updated since IBM quit, in 2001 (that is about to change, but probably only for ArcaOS 5.1, and the change likely won't make any difference, in this case. it is for something else).

From the OS2DASD.DMD, in ArcaOS 5.0.7:
Code: [Select]
[C:\OS2\BOOT]bldlevel os2dasd.dmd
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:14.105#@ IBM DASD Manager
Vendor:          IBM
Revision:        14.105
File Version:    14.105
Description:     IBM DASD Manager

If there is no setting to prevent writing to track 0, my bet is that this is not a problem with OS2DASD.DMD, but with something that loaded previously. You might try making sure that you don't use AHCI. There was a time when the first loaded (AHCI, or IDE) would take control of the controller, when there is no BIOS setting. ArcaOS, by default, loads AHCI first, when the controller is capable (but it may not work that way. Early AHCI BIOS support was not very good).

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:12:26 pm »
I see three problems here.

First, Arca Noae cannot support eCS, in any flavor. ArcaOS is a different version of OS/2, and they are only licensed to work with what is in ArcaOS, for use with ArcaOS. They can distribute drivers, that were not produced by IBM, for use with any version of OS/2.

Hi Doug,

I probably missed something. I didn't open an ECS ticket inside Arca support. I opened a ticket with Arca guys since with version 5.0.7 I didn't get any access to disk. It was impossible to get disk geometry and all things mentioned. Within ECS I did one step ahead since I partitioned disk and at least I completed stage 1 installation. But I never asked to get ECS support from Arca guys.

Second, it appears that the machine is not compatible with the requirements for ArcaOS. Is it possible, that there is a BIOS setting that prevents anything from writing to track 0? If so, make sure that it is turned OFF.

Phoenix BIOS on this box doesn't have this feature. It doesn't have feature to enable/disable AHCI/IDE too.

If there is no setting to prevent writing to track 0, my bet is that this is not a problem with OS2DASD.DMD, but with something that loaded previously. You might try making sure that you don't use AHCI. There was a time when the first loaded (AHCI, or IDE) would take control of the controller, when there is no BIOS setting. ArcaOS, by default, loads AHCI first, when the controller is capable (but it may not work that way. Early AHCI BIOS support was not very good).

Thanks for the tip. I'll double check and try again
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:45:08 am by Stefano »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 08:48:41 pm »
Hi Stefano, looking at your system, I see
R1.08.15     /!BIOS
            Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.08.15
Controller:0  Port:F0707080 IRQ:16  Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
  ATI IXP SATA host (1002:4379 rev:80) on PCI 0:18.0#0
 Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster 1.5GBit/s BPB
  Model:Lexar 256GB SSD                         H190117D
   OS2:log   phys   BPB/BIOS   IDE:log   phys     Total Sectors
  C  31130  65535                65535  16383   Avail  500118192
  H    255     16        255        16     16   OS2    500103450
  S     63     63         63        63     63   % Used     99.99
Controller:1  Port:01F0 IRQ:0E  Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
  ATI IXP PATA host (1002:4376 rev:80) on PCI 0:20.1#0
 Unit:0 Status:No Master Device
 Unit:1 Status:OK ATAPI BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4
  Model:TOSHIBA DVDW/HD TS-L802A                TF37

Looking at the Danis506 chiplist, I see
0x1002 ATI
   0x436E IXP300 SATA                x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       ?   (x)
   0x4379 IXP400 SATA                x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       ?   (x)
   0x437A IXP400 SATA                x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       ?   (x)
   0x4380 IXP600 SATA                x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4381 IXP600 SATA                x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4390 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4391 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4392 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4393 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4394 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)
   0x4395 IXP700/800 SATA            x   x   x    x   ?     x   x       ?   (x)

IXP300/400 are licenced SiI3112 cores. The same features and bugs apply!
and
0x1095 Silicon Image
   0x3112 SiI 3112                   x   x   x    x   -     x   -       x    x
   0x3114 SiI 3114                   x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       ?    x
   0x3512 SiI 3512                   x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       ?   (x)
   0x0240 Adaptec AAR-1210SA         x   x   x    x   ?     x   -       x   (x)

known bugs:
   - SiI3x12: incompatibilities with some disks:
      * ST320012AS,ST330013AS,ST340017AS,ST360015AS,ST380023AS,ST3120023AS ,ST340014ASL,ST360014ASL,ST380011ASL,ST3120022ASL,ST3160021ASL (no fix)

So it appears that Danis506 sorta supports your disk controller, but with bugs, certain disks?

Suggestions include, trying different disks, IIRC, you did. Try a PATA disk. reopen your ticket, go through the motions that Arca Noae goes through and eventually David will notice this problem and might be able to code a fix for you.
Remember, Arca Noae is a small organization, your problem is often geometry related, Arca Noae will go through the obvious fixes first due to time and often that's all that is needed. And David A. is the only developer working on this stuff and has limited time.
In my experience, trouble shooting starts with David thinking the hardware support is fine, after a bit he realizes it isn't, he then tries to create a fix. Sometimes fixes aren't possible but a bit of searching shows Linux had problems with these controllers and the problems were fixed, so it is likely Arca Noae can come up with a fix.
Don't be impatient and remember Arca Noae has limited resources but do do pretty good at fixing these kinds of things and since your hardware isn't that old, with luck they will come up with a fix but time is always a problem and expecting a fix in 2 days is asking a lot.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:51:33 pm »
Also, I just noticed your DVD is set as slave with no master on the interface, I'd suggest first trying to set the DVD to master and if that doesn't work, cable select. Could even temporarily remove it if you are installing with a USB stick

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:27 pm »
Taje out the ACPI.PSD from yoru config.sys or add /VW switch and see if this fixes hanhg.
The hang is most likely occuring with the witch over from the MINIFSD code to the IFS code.

Roderick

Stefano

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 10:01:58 am »
Don't be impatient and remember Arca Noae has limited resources but do do pretty good at fixing these kinds of things and since your hardware isn't that old, with luck they will come up with a fix but time is always a problem and expecting a fix in 2 days is asking a lot.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip.
I never asked  them to fix problem in 2 days. I'm perfectly aware that solving such kind of problems can become a nightmare. But if after many test  they come back to me asking exactly same diag I enclosed on day 1 it's better to give up. It's not a matter of expectations but the way you approach problem. If you need more time to manage/explore  it's ok. If you are in a loop around same request probably it's not worth moving on. Worse I've been told that enclosing screenshot doesn't make sense since error message is ok as well (and there were no error messages at all since disktool never opened).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:38:38 pm by Stefano »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 02:30:11 pm »
FYI: Just for more context. Here it is the ticket.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 06:02:51 pm »
Hi Stefano

What have you used to prepare the disk? - OS/2 systems often cannot work with partitions created by non-OS/2 partitioning tools .

Download current DFSee release - https://dfsee.com/dfsee/dfsee169.zip - and unzip onto a usb flash drive.
Boot from ArcaOS install dvd/usb flash drive, select Menu with own choices then select Maintenance Console (think that is what it is called)
Then insert usb flash drive with DFSee on
Open usb flash drive \dfsee\bin directory and run dfseeos2
Select Mode=FDISK then select Wipe start of disk...
Exit DFSee
Reboot ArcaOS install dvd/usb flash drive

The disk should now be accessible from ArcaOS disktool or LVM (text mode)

Regards

Pete