Author Topic: KNE 2121+ Network Card - OS/2 Warp Connect  (Read 3866 times)

Marc Galloway

• View Profile
KNE 2121+ Network Card - OS/2 Warp Connect
« on: April 29, 2023, 09:07:48 pm »
I'm slowly making progress in my quest to get a Tandy/GRiD 386sc installed with OS/2 Warp Connect. I'm now at the stage of trying to get network going. The computer has a Kingston KNE-2121 card installed and have verifed operation under DOS with mTCIP. I'm struggling a bit with OS/2 and just now sure what drivers work. I have started the MPTS config tool and select "LAN adapters and Protocols" - > "Configure" -> "Other Adapters"

I have found KNE-2100 drivers and its broken into 2 disks.

Disk 1:
PCNTNW.OS2

Disk 2:
MSLANMAN.OS2
 -PCNTND.OS2
-PROTOCOL.INI
-PCNTND.NIF

NDIS
-LANSERVR.OS2
--PCNTND.NIF
--PCNTND.OS2
LANSVR30.OS2
--PCNTND.NIF
--PCNTND.OS2

PKTDRV
PCNTPK.COM

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: KNE 2121+ Network Card - OS/2 Warp Connect
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 11:26:32 pm »
Hi Marc

What is your networking goal here? only running with TCP/IP, at least at first?

For what I know you need two files. The .OS2 is the driver, the .NIF is the text specification file.
The .OS2 file will be included in the config.sys and the adapter will load on boot.

Give it a try installing "PCNTND.OS2", connect the network cable, and see on boot if there is a message when it boots.

I guess the first thing you may want to try is the DHCP and some ping to the router/gateway in your network.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 11:29:52 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 01:11:16 am »
I'm slowly making progress in my quest to get a Tandy/GRiD 386sc installed with OS/2 Warp Connect. I'm now at the stage of trying to get network going. The computer has a Kingston KNE-2121 card installed and have verifed operation under DOS with mTCIP. I'm struggling a bit with OS/2 and just now sure what drivers work. I have started the MPTS config tool and select "LAN adapters and Protocols" - > "Configure" -> "Other Adapters"

I have found KNE-2100 drivers and its broken into 2 disks.

Disk 1:
PCNTNW.OS2

Disk 2:
MSLANMAN.OS2
 -PCNTND.OS2
-PROTOCOL.INI
-PCNTND.NIF

NDIS
-LANSERVR.OS2
--PCNTND.NIF
--PCNTND.OS2
LANSVR30.OS2
--PCNTND.NIF
--PCNTND.OS2

PKTDRV
PCNTPK.COM

After starting MPTS you must first add the network drivers for your card to the list of possible network drivers.
You do that by clicking the button " Install" instead of clicking on the button "Configure". A new window appears with the title "Install Additional Network Drivers", in which you can input where your additional network drivers are to be found. Default is A: for diskette drive A:.Insert your diskette 2 in the diskette drive and select the directory where the NDIS drivers for LANSRV30 are located (if in doubt, there is probably a readme-file on your diskette that says which directory should be chosen for which version of OS/2). Follow the directions on the screen.

After that you can start using the "Configure" button and then again the button "Configure" in the new window with title "Configure". Now you can select your network card in the list with network cards and use the "Add" button.
After that you have to attach one or more net(work protocols to your network card ("Add protocol"). Usually TCP/IP is enough. And finally you must configure TCP/IP. A good choice is not manually using a fixed IP-address, but using a dynamic IP-address instead by using DHCP. Just follow the prompts on your screen.

Marc Galloway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 08:59:51 am »
Martin,

Just looking for TCP/IP connectivity to access internal FTP server and SMB shares on my local network.

Tom,

Following your directions and specifically using the drivers in "LANSVR30.OS2" worked for getting the Kingston card and running.

Also finding the below wiki page that Martin wrote in 2014 was a great step by step as well.

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Remembering_how_to_install_MPTS_and_TCP/IP_on_Warp_3

Thank you Martin & Tom!