Author Topic: Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2022  (Read 22234 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2022
« on: January 20, 2022, 01:48:52 pm »
Hi

I like to discuss the wish list hardware compatibility from time to time since the hardware and necessities changes in time. 

What is your hardware compatibility request with ArcaOS these days?

I personally have in my list:
- Intel Wifi support
- Intel HD dual screen support. (To mirror screen or extend screen)
  - Easier Hot plug to projectors. (To mirror screen or extend screen)

What's yours? No matter if it is a wild shot.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:51:13 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:36:49 pm »
I also think WiFi would be a high priority. Both WiFi and dual screen have been mentioned by Arca Noae on their roadmap.

I'd add an item that is partly software and partly hardware -- I'd like to see video conferencing on our platform. This also seems to be in progress, but at BitWise and in discussions here. That is both audio and video hardware.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 04:39:37 pm »
I also think WiFi would be a high priority. Both WiFi and dual screen have been mentioned by Arca Noae on their roadmap.

To this would add GPT support for large disks.

Saludos

Rene Hvidsoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 06:56:48 pm »
Hi,

I think same as Neil video conferencing would be vey handy in todays world.

Wifi would be nice, but have been using a travel adapter for few years now.

Rene

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 07:37:15 pm »
Make that another to agree with Neil. Ditto

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 08:09:37 pm »

I'd add an item that is partly software and partly hardware -- I'd like to see video conferencing on our platform. This also seems to be in progress, but at BitWise and in discussions here. That is both audio and video hardware.

Funny enough, the video support is better under VirtualBox then it is on plain HW. My built-in notebook webcam is detected in VirtualBox as a USB video device with bulk endpoint. The combination of libuvc+libusb has no problems using it. What we now need is a port of a Linux web app based on QT (for display) and  livuvc+libusb (for the data streaming). I am not yet clear about audio (synchronized to video).
The OS/2 MMPM subsystem is built upon streams that can be synchronized. But if you use libusb + libuvc, they know nothing about the OS/2 MMPM streaming (manager). You just read video and potentially audio directly from the device but then, these are not synchronized.

Lars
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:13:46 pm by Lars »

Craig Miller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 08:26:46 pm »
I agree, Dual Monitor support and WiFi support would be the biggest items when it comes to hardware.

As a secondary wish for hardware, perhaps basic Bluetooth support (even keyboards and mice) would be great.

Lastly, I am not sure if we need new drivers for 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express? If so, that would be good to start looking at what that would take.

On the software side I have a few more wishes =)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 11:47:07 pm »

Funny enough, the video support is better under VirtualBox then it is on plain HW. My built-in notebook webcam is detected in VirtualBox as a USB video device with bulk endpoint. The combination of libuvc+libusb has no problems using it. What we now need is a port of a Linux web app based on QT (for display) and  livuvc+libusb (for the data streaming). I am not yet clear about audio (synchronized to video).
The OS/2 MMPM subsystem is built upon streams that can be synchronized. But if you use libusb + libuvc, they know nothing about the OS/2 MMPM streaming (manager). You just read video and potentially audio directly from the device but then, these are not synchronized.

Lars

Usually the video and audio are compressed and muxed into a container, AVI, Matroska(webm) etc with syncing happening there. FFmpeg or libavcodec can handle that.
It also raises the question of licensing and such. If something is expecting H264 and AAC, well they're patented. There's libvpx, vorbis etc, does any video conferencing software support them?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 01:15:10 am »

To this would add GPT support for large disks.

Saludos

ArcaOS 5.1.0. already has large GPT disc support in conjunction UEFI support.
But this is of course not yet released.  See the Warpstock Europe video's for more information.

Roderick

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 01:58:45 am »

Lars

Usually the video and audio are compressed and muxed into a container, AVI, Matroska(webm) etc with syncing happening there. FFmpeg or libavcodec can handle that.
It also raises the question of licensing and such. If something is expecting H264 and AAC, well they're patented. There's libvpx, vorbis etc, does any video conferencing software support them?

My current working on AVxCAT (v2 beta) works well with webcam using Wim's webcam.exe progam.
I can record video + audio in syncro or record video only or audio only.
(no stream out to the network)

Currently, I only enable high quality which is copy received streams into output which is then AVI for video or WAV for audio.
I did a few test to have output into any other format (it works but I have to adjust some coding parts in this mode and should be available in a several days - use of any other video format results into higher storage use which increase up to several 10th of megabytes (between 8M to about 35M) into share low memory)

If some are interested into testing my current v2 beta, please left a comment here.
(Of course, it has many other added features like icecast, front cover when copy disc or using discid etc... and many other improvements, optimizations, all available with ffmpeg 4.x)

Rémy

Update (ffmpeg): I did a test streaming my webcam video+audio directly as mp4 to udp and it works (having both video and audio in the stream)
e.g.  I tested using my webcam stream as input and using for final output ( -tune fastdecode -tune zerolatency -fflags nobuffer -f mpegts "udp://127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316" )
I opened VLC player and put in udp://@127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316  and got video + audio  (with a latency of course) 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:22:15 am by Remy »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 02:03:06 am »
WebRTC is probably the solution for video conferencing. QT5 supports it, as well as our Firefox. Of course it needs to be coded for our platform and currently as far as I know, only USB audio supports microphone input.
https://webrtc.org/

Andy Willis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 04:45:34 am »
My current working on AVxCAT (v2 beta) works well with webcam using Wim's webcam.exe progam.

Currently, I only enable high quality which is copy received streams into output which is then AVI for video or WAV for audio.
I did a few test to have output into any other format (it works but I have to adjust some coding parts in this mode and should be available in a several days - use of any other video format results into higher storage use which increase up to several 10th of megabytes (between 8M to about 35M) into share low memory)

If some are interested into testing my current v2 beta, please left a comment here.
(Of course, it has many other added features like icecast, front cover when copy disc or using discid etc... and many other improvements, optimizations, all available with ffmpeg 4.x)

Rémy

Update (ffmpeg): I did a test streaming my webcam video+audio directly as mp4 to udp and it works (having both video and audio in the stream)
e.g.  I tested using my webcam stream as input and using for final output ( -tune fastdecode -tune zerolatency -fflags nobuffer -f mpegts "udp://127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316" )
I opened VLC player and put in udp://@127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316  and got video + audio  (with a latency of course)
I may be able to borrow a Logitech Pro Stream Webcam, any idea of it would be supported?

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 05:21:11 am »

Rémy

I may be able to borrow a Logitech Pro Stream Webcam, any idea of it would be supported?

Following webcam's are working with Wim's webcam.exe
Logitech
c250/c270/pro9000/C920 HD pro

I tested output streamming using following sample with mine parameters providing good results
(do not invert input file order or you not been able to get a correct syncro)

warning: It consumes many MiB of shared below storage (could be above 35MiB, up to nearly 70MiB)
If after tests, you see that below is low and not well freed, restart wps only should return many memory   

To resume:  ffmpeg with both pipe inputs \Audio and \Video to pipe output into ffmpeg (for single file with syncro audio/video) to output udp   

/* ------------ ffmpeg version : 4.2.2 ------------ */
/* ------------------------------------------------ */
ffmpeg_exe=" fullpath ffmpeg including ffmpeg.exe  "
ff_outfile="udp://127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316"
ff_outfile='-f mpegts "'||ff_outfile||'"'
Out_AVmap=" -map 0:0 -map 0:1"
/* new for test */
ffmpeg_prms="-use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1 -thread_queue_size 32 -i \PIPE\Webcam\Audio -itsoffset 1.250 -use_wallclock_as_timestamps 1 -thread_queue_size 48 -f mjpeg -i \PIPE\Webcam\Video"
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||" -r 25 -video_track_timescale 25.00 -c:v copy -c:a copy -map 1:v:0 -map 0:a:0 -f avi - |"||ffmpeg_exe||" -y "
/* ------------ */
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -i - -hide_banner '||Out_AVmap||' -c:v libx264 -b:v 800k -async 1'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -movflags faststart -preset medium'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -tune fastdecode -tune zerolatency'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' -c:a aac -strict -2 -b:a 128k -threads 1'
ffmpeg_prms=ffmpeg_prms||' '||ff_outfile
''||ffmpeg_exe||' -y '||ffmpeg_prms
Return

Before run it:
e.g.  Start webcam.exe /u/n/x640/y480/a:32000
Start VLC opening a network resource  udt://@127.0.0.1:8888?pkt_size=1316    (LVC is than waiting on UDP inputs)

By default VLC is buffering 1s before play (this introduces a latency of 1s and you may see about 1s additional latency from the full process + UDP 

In cas of out of syncro between audio and video, try to adjust -itsoffset 1.250  (this value is ok with C270 webcam)
Only need to adjust one time. 

About webcam.exe => https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,2712.60.html
You can use my little tool (widget) to control webcam.exe  ( [  S  ] for settings, show to display webcam, green or red button to on/off the webcam )
http://remydodin.levillage.org/doc/realisations/downloads/WCC_26072020.zip
regards

Update (20220122): replacing libx264 by mpeg4  reduces a little latency
It should be possible to send the udp stream to a server converting them into hls stream readable by browsers.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:47:07 pm by Remy »

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 06:30:05 am »
WebRTC is probably the solution for video conferencing. QT5 supports it, as well as our Firefox. Of course it needs to be coded for our platform and currently as far as I know, only USB audio supports microphone input.
https://webrtc.org/
libuvc is totally generic in handling video input: it effectively sets up iso in transfers for the video in endpoint to receive video data. It could do the very same for the audio in endpoint to receive audio data but it does not (I think but I would need to check).
This is completely independent of any OS/2 audio drivers. It works via libusb which in turn works via USBCALLS and USBRESMG.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:31:40 am by Lars »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 07:41:29 am »
Yes, but how does the video (and audio) stream get to an application such as a web browser? And how does the application control the camera (perhaps focus for example), get capabilities and such? It does look like Mozilla will handle the transcoding and likely the muxing
Guess I could enable webrtc and see where the compile breaks.