OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2022

<< < (6/8) > >>

Andreas Schnellbacher:
Thanks, OS4User. RAM disk is not an option, when only 1 GB or less is recognized for the system. AMD systems suffer since a longer time from this, with 1.5 - 2 GB. According to Sigurd, newer Intel (i7) systems have that problem, too.

Virtualization seems to be the only option then.

Are there any newer systems that support 3 GB?

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on January 22, 2022, 05:17:48 pm ---RAM disk is not an option, when only 1 GB or less is recognized for the system.

--- End quote ---

OS/4 PSE-36 RamDrive  uses mem above 4Gb,  so 1Gb recognized by the system   is  for system :)

Dave Yeo:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on January 22, 2022, 05:17:48 pm ---Thanks, OS4User. RAM disk is not an option, when only 1 GB or less is recognized for the system. AMD systems suffer since a longer time from this, with 1.5 - 2 GB. According to Sigurd, newer Intel (i7) systems have that problem, too.

Virtualization seems to be the only option then.

Are there any newer systems that support 3 GB?

--- End quote ---

Even with only 1.5GB of actual ram recognized by the system, you still should have about 3.5 GB of memory space, it'll just swap and the swap file can go on the ram disk.
At one point I was using a system with 1.5GB's of ram installed, linking xul.dll required VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT set to 3072 to avoid running out of memory, the swap file would grow to close to 2 GB (occasionally over which killed the system with a swap file full error, there seems to be a 2GB limit), things would be slow but work.
With 1.5 GB of ram under normal usage you should only see light swapping.

Andreas Schnellbacher:
Here are 2 GB recognized. When the Mozilla browser eats up all memory and the system has started to swap (SSD), it becomes unstable. I guess that's rather a browser problem with newer Web pages.

Sometimes, to be sure, I close the browser before starting VAC 3, just for to release its memory.

I don't try to use AOO and Mozilla simultaneously, because of the negative experience on my previous system (2.5 GB, HDD). 2.5 GB hasn't lasted for both, maybe due to the slow HDD.

Dave Yeo:
Somewhat surprising, my T42 with 1GB of ram is quite stable, takes forever to start SeaMonkey but once running, it's fine.
One thing is to set the size of the swap file as fairly large (1GB?) as growing it can cause problems.
The other day I had to reboot as cpp (the preprocessor) was dying trying to allocate 64 KB's of memory, SeaMonkey was still stable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version