OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Hardware

Hardware Compatibility Wishlist for 2022

<< < (8/8)

Doug Clark:
Thanks guys for the response.  After reading this I started to remember this was covered in one of the WarpStock 2021 presentations  by David Azarewicz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6iwx43lM8&list=PL4pjffCdj7wRBQfyneCN8kETgFesTSEy2&index=5

Looks like a list of compatible motherboards is more important than ever - or buying from Blond Guy and letting him do the hard work of discovering what works and what doesn't.

I have learned, the hard way, that it is worth the time and money to get hardware that is compatible, e.g. postscript printers instead of Windows printers, etc.  I believe the saying is: buy well and only cry once.

OS4User:

--- Quote from: Andreas Schnellbacher on January 24, 2022, 08:15:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: OS4User on January 24, 2022, 07:14:58 am ---Unfortunately, newer motherboards map the bulk of RAM above 4GB and below 4GB by only 1GB or so.

--- End quote ---
Here large parts of the RAM are below 4 GB, but Dmitry's loader recognizes just the largest contiguous block.

--- End quote ---

His loader recognizes all blocks of RAM - it is really pies of cake. But os2kernel has a bug and cannot work with some kind of blocks. That is why the loader reports to kernel about available memory with some correction - not all the blocks are shown.

Meanwhile os4kernel does not have that bug  -  and os4loader reports about ALL the blocks. On some system one can see that os4kernel shows more "RAM in machine" then os2kernel for this reason. (actually, difference is not very big)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version